Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2012, 23:39   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free
Another group of my colleges would never understand the utility of tachometer. One of them never actually observed it, on his car while driving. Many would argue that they would change gear based on speed rather on RPM even if they are driving two different cars with totally different engine specs.
While I do find the tacho useful (at times), I don't check it to change gears. If a car I drive did not have a tacho, I don't think it will make me stumble on gears. Maybe because I started driving on an M800 with no tacho. IMO speed or engine-sound or feel is all that is required to change gears.

But yeah, if you want to shift just before rpm hits the redline, then you need a tacho. But not really for daily driving.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th July 2012 at 23:40.
Old 17th July 2012, 23:46   #932
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine (from back when he started driving when I was still cycling):

"L" sign on cars means the driver is a lady.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 00:08   #933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
I had just bought car and was new to car experience.

One of my college who owned Ritz would not agree to fact that handbrake acts on rear wheels.

Another group of my colleges would never understand the utility of tachometer. One of them never actually observed it, on his car while driving.

Many would argue that they would change gear based on speed rather on RPM even if they are driving two different cars with totally different engine specs.

I mean they would hypothetically change to second at 20KM/Hr gear, irrespective of whether they are driving al santro or a merc.

My landlord claims, he once traveled by Tata Indigo flight.
He has clubbed the Pre-Independence era(erstwhile Tata airlines) to the new age(Indigo airlines) like what we say for any a/c bus to be volvo bus
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
This happened when i was in college, we were all new to biking then, a friend(very rash rider) had met with an accident when he was hit by a speeding Maruti 800 and had a fracture. He comes to college the next day, this was the conversation:

Me: How did you meet with an accident ?
Him: Was hit by a Maruti 800 dude! We were racing and i was at 80 km/hr and his car brushed against my bike.
Me: Oh! What speed were you doing ?
Him:Must be 90 km/hr or so,not sure.
Me: (All puzzled) If you were at 90, and he was at 80 you'd be way ahead of him right?!
Him: Fool! It was a 800cc car, so 80 km/hr in his car=90 km/hr in my bike(150cc Unicorn) na? Bigger cc engine always goes faster at 80 km/hr than a 150 cc bike at 80km/hr.
Me: (Trying very hard to stop myself from laughing) Get well soon man!
May be he was inspired by this video:

Last edited by AlphaKilo : 18th July 2012 at 00:25.
AlphaKilo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 06:42   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
A friend of mine (from back when he started driving when I was still cycling):

"L" sign on cars means the driver is a lady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
May be he was inspired by this video:
I'm tempted to suggest to the mods through the 'Suggestions' thread to PLEASE find some way, technically, to add a few buttons exclusively to this thread:
'LOL', 'LOLL', 'LOLLLL', 'Beyond'!

Or can I just click the 'Thanks' button to thank you guys for giving me a GOOD laugh today?

Last edited by khan_sultan : 18th July 2012 at 11:41. Reason: edited for video
Old 18th July 2012, 09:42   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
IMO speed or engine-sound or feel is all that is required to change gears.
Even I do the same and never go by the tacho. Wonder how we would have changed gears in a rear engined Volvo, if we were Volvo drivers. But then, that might be why they come in automatic too Quirky me!
Old 18th July 2012, 11:03   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True. Pre-tbhp I never knew that there was a car called Duster and when I first came to know of such a car, I did think, why would someone name a car as duster ?
My wife makes this funny blackboard rubbing guesture everytime she says duster and I fall of my chair laughing
Old 18th July 2012, 11:13   #937
Senior - BHPian

On the topic of the name Duster here is what James May BBC has to say about it

"We live in a world of aspirational car-cleaning products branded to invoke performance motoring - Turbo body polish, Supercar tyre dressing - but here is a car humbly named for the thing you might use to clean it. I hope we can look forward to the Dacia Sponge and the Dacia Bucket."

"The Legend ‘Duster' is writ large across the tailgate with individual letters, as it should be. If you're going to give your car a silly name, there's no point in being a puss about it."

(Well, I wouldnt call James May as a non-petrol head friend, but I thought this goes with the flow )
mallumowgli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 15:11   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
This happened when i was in college, we were all new to biking then, a friend(very rash rider) had met with an accident when he was hit by a speeding Maruti 800 and had a fracture. He comes to college the next day, this was the conversation:

Me: How did you meet with an accident ?
Him: Was hit by a Maruti 800 dude! We were racing and i was at 80 km/hr and his car brushed against my bike.
Me: Oh! What speed were you doing ?
Him:Must be 90 km/hr or so,not sure.
Me: (All puzzled) If you were at 90, and he was at 80 you'd be way ahead of him right?!
Him: Fool! It was a 800cc car, so 80 km/hr in his car=90 km/hr in my bike(150cc Unicorn) na? Bigger cc engine always goes faster at 80 km/hr than a 150 cc bike at 80km/hr.
Me: (Trying very hard to stop myself from laughing) Get well soon man!

Haha, this reminded me of an incident involving my classmate. He was thoroughly convinced that a Pulsar doing 60 kmph is faster than a Splendor doing 60 kmph because the former had "Extra cc's" and thus that made it faster.
It took me quite a while to convince him otherwise.

The same guy also had the impression that there are three kinds of two-wheelers; The Bullets which included all the old bikes such as Rajdoot's and Yezdi's, The scooters and then the 'Normal' bikes.
I had to show him the Royal Enfield website to convince him that the Bullet is just a brand name and is a specific bike and not a generic term that includes all the 'old, big bikes.'

Last edited by mahesh.kolary : 18th July 2012 at 15:27.
Old 18th July 2012, 18:10   #939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh.kolary View Post
It took me quite a while to convince him otherwise.
Your friend would atleast listen, this guy told me i was 'ignorant' to not know something so basic about automobiles, and claim to be an auto enthusiast!
Old 18th July 2012, 18:17   #940
BHPian

I am confused. The title of this thread seems to draw a line between petrol heads and diesel heads. But when I read through, it's about informed and ignorant people. Maybe the title should be changed.
Old 18th July 2012, 19:43   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I am confused. The title of this thread seems to draw a line between petrol heads and diesel heads. But when I read through, it's about informed and ignorant people. Maybe the title should be changed.
Petrol head refers to an automobile enthusiast who is crazy about vehicles and related things. Though it may mean someone who prefers petrol over a diesel engine, the term is a generic usage for any enthusiast who has a thing for automobiles AFAIK. I am also unaware on whether the term diesel head is existant. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as the title goes, it perfectly sums up all the illogical, crazy blunders that 'non-petrol heads' have committed or said. It doesn't draw any distinction between petrol or diesel lovers.
Old 18th July 2012, 21:14   #942
BHPian

I was accompanying a lady friend in Maruti showroom, after fiddling with demo A star, she asked question to SA.
"Can you also show us Santro".
I gave a smile at SA who was already smiling , and quietly made her realize that we had to visit Hyundai showroom to see a Santro.
Old 18th July 2012, 21:49   #943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Quite a logical question ! .But the fact is generally petrol heads category included diesel , gas and kerosene heads as well .
black12rr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2012, 23:49   #944
BHPian

Quote:
why would someone name a car as duster ?
The same some one who named a computer Apple, a mobile Blackberry perhaps?
Old 19th July 2012, 11:45   #945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahesh.kolary View Post
Petrol head refers to an automobile enthusiast who is crazy about vehicles and related things. Though it may mean someone who prefers petrol over a diesel engine, the term is a generic usage for any enthusiast who has a thing for automobiles AFAIK. I am also unaware on whether the term diesel head is existant. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as the title goes, it perfectly sums up all the illogical, crazy blunders that 'non-petrol heads' have committed or said. It doesn't draw any distinction between petrol or diesel lovers.
Diesel head exists. It's a whole bunch of Diesel fueled enthusiasts and these guys love their low end torque more than their free revving motors. Nevertheless, I understand that the intent of this thread is to discuss an enthusiasts vs non-enthusiast scenario.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks