Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2012, 11:57   #946
BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Diesel head exists. It's a whole bunch of Diesel fueled enthusiasts and these guys love their low end torque more than their free revving motors.
Am sure there are many 'Petrol sucks, diesel rocks' kinda people out there, but I was unaware that they are referred to as 'Diesel heads'. Thank you.
Old 19th July 2012, 12:30   #947
BHPian

A Figo owner explaining me, "See Figo is designed to be low height car for a important reason. This way bikers who are following the car, can have a view of the traffic ahead. This gives bikers enough time to break as they can see the obstacles in Figo's path from behind. That is why you see my car is not rear-ended by any biker"
radek is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 12:37   #948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
A Figo owner explaining me, "See Figo is designed to be low height car for a important reason. This way bikers who are following the car, can have a view of the traffic ahead. This gives bikers enough time to break as they can see the obstacles in Figo's path from behind. That is why you see my car is not rear-ended by any biker"
He deserves to be a salesperson for the company. Just imagine how he'd have sold an off roader with high GC.
"Saar, look at this vehicle. When you are driving along and a biker wants to overtake you in the city traffic. He can do that casually by just ducking, laying low and pass underneath the car. The company thinks of everything."
mahesh.kolary is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2012, 16:40   #949
BHPian

When I was waiting in queue at the Bajaj service centre for my Bajaj Discover 135cc's first free service, two people next to me were discussing the relation between the engine capacity and fuel economy. One guy said, the more the cc of the engine, the better the fuel economy! Surprisingly the second guy supported this logic. I felt like telling them that if this was the case, then the Bullet 500cc would have been the best selling bike in India!! But silence is golden!
Scarlet_Rider is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 07:01   #950

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post. We advise you to read our rules before proceeding any further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
My mum spotted the Duster today when she was out, and somehow it found its way right in front of her. Apparently the name 'Duster' caught her eye. And she though to herself and I quote: "Who'd name a car 'Duster'. I mean, does it clean up streets?"

Excuse my ignorance but that was exactly my thought when i heard about this car. But obviously Renault hasn't designed this car to be a road cleaning machine. Can anyone enlighten me with what the name really means?

Last edited by GTO : 23rd July 2012 at 17:07.
Old 20th July 2012, 10:41   #951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0129 View Post
Can anyone enlighten me with what the name really means?
Not sure but probably Romanian english problem. Their thought process might be, it is SUV, so it will do off-roading, so it will travel on dusty road, so what we will call vehicle that will mainly travel on dust road? etc. They must have translated the word from Romanian language to English using some online dictionary.
Old 20th July 2012, 10:49   #952
Team-BHP Support

A story recited by a friend's friend:

My VW Polo was giving me serious troubles in the initial period. I complained a few times but they couldn't solve the problem at the service station. Finally, I complained higher up in VW management and they assured a fix. They identified the problem to be in one of the engine cylinders of the engine and replaced that cylinder under warranty. (Did he mean a piston?)

Another story:

A friend was rebuilding and thought of finding a way to clean the water jackets around the block. He called up another friend who owns an ultrasonic cleaning machine and asked him if he could get the water passages cleaned. The friend replied: "Sure, why not! Just get the water jackets off and bring them here"
moralfibre is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 12:15   #953
Senior - BHPian

The second one is too funny, "just get the water jackets off and bring them here". LOL.
Old 20th July 2012, 13:22   #954
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSlick View Post
How to determine the cruising speed of a car as per a colleague of mine. He owns an 800 cc Alto.

"For an 800 cc car the cruising speed will be 80 kmph and a 1000 cc car will cruise easily at 100 kmph". Hmm..some logic, but I thought if he's just removing a '0' from the engine capacity to determine the cruising speed of a car I was thinking then he would say a 2000 cc car will cruise easily at 200 kmph?? What logic saar!
-----------------------------
Sometime back I saw some kids playing around a car which had twin exhausts and one of them in an impressive tone said to the others 'hey look! A double-engine car'. coz as a kid even I thought so
How about a Safari Dicor with a 3000cc engine cruising at 300kmph, beating the Merc/BMW/Audi/Porsche...etc?
Old 20th July 2012, 13:47   #955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
How about a Safari Dicor with a 3000cc engine cruising at 300kmph, beating the Merc/BMW/Audi/Porsche...etc?

I just hope the buswallahs are not reading it, lest they unleash the true potential of their mighty engines!!
mahesh.kolary is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2012, 14:49   #956
Team-BHP Support

I had once taken my new car to an uncle's house (non-petrol head as expected). I am referring to the Linea T-Jet+. Since it has Blue&Me, which offers the voice command based calling and audio system menu operations, I showed those voice commands to him. He said "wow.. this is like female Knight Rider, so finally something like this came to India" (for those of you who watched the popular television series in the 1990s about a detective's talking car with artificial intelligence). He asked - "What else can it do on voice based commands? Does it slot into reverse gear on voice command, can it drive itself also?". He might have believed me if I had said it did.

I told him this was a normal road car and not Alladin's lamp with a Genie.

For the record, this chap owns an Alto which he proudly boasts about, that it hasn't been serviced since 2 years and continues to run in spite of not having any jazzy features of modern cars. He says "cars with equipment are bound to fail. See my alto - only AC and power steering. That is best. Most high-end cars with features are unreliable, just a waste of money". I smiled and kept quiet.

Some more funny comments and statements from non petrol-head colleagues / friends that I can remember :

- "Leather seats are difficult to maintain. If you spill something on it, it will stink like a dead animal. Fabric seats are best". This guy went for the pro-sweating 'Art' leather.

- "xenon lamps are like tubelights and halogen lamps are like incandescent lights at home. xenon lamps will give brilliant white light like tubelight and not get heated up at all (same like tubelights). They are best. Halogen lights will heat up and produce steam when rain water falls on it". *lol, no words*

- "Comprehensive insurance is best. They are slightly more expensive, but if you pay once, you don't need to keep renewing every year". I wonder if this guy is still running on his 5-year old insurance policy. God save him!

- "Disc brakes are dangerous on a bike. It will suddenly skid and make us fall. Drum brakes are best"

- "Monoshock suspension is bad, there is only 1 shock. In dual shock absorbers, the shock load gets distributed to both left and right sides."

- "i20's steering is best. I once avoided an obstacle on an expressway just by a mere flick of the wrist. Any other car would have hit it by not swerving in time". *hyundai fanatic friend heaping praises*

- "In an automatic transmission gearbox, clutch will always be pressed. That is why there is no clutch pedal in the footwell of AT cars. And because the clutch is always pressed by the computer, the mileage is less in an AT gearbox compared to MT gearbox." Maybe he had read somewhere that increased usage of clutch contributes to lesser FE and arrived at this conclusion on AT gearboxes.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th July 2012 at 15:16.
Old 20th July 2012, 14:56   #957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
He says "cars with equipment are bound to fail. See my alto - only AC and power steering. That is best. Most high-end cars with features are unreliable, just a waste of money". I smiled and kept quiet.
To an extent he is right, And esp'ly with poor SC guys here, cars with more features left a lotsa head ache to owner when something fails.
Old 20th July 2012, 15:07   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I
He says "cars with equipment are bound to fail. See my alto - only AC and power steering. That is best. Most high-end cars with features are unreliable, just a waste of money".
I feel his quite right here, though he shouldnt have used the word unreliable.
By the addition law of probability, or the sum rule, the probability that something goes wrong because of the higher number of parts working together is higher than if there was only a single part.

He does make some sense and logic, you uncle. But then not all feature laden cars are 'a waste of money'.
Old 20th July 2012, 15:38   #959
Distinguished - BHPian

Some words by my uncle:

- He once went to Nepal and got to drive a Toyota SUV(he didn't know the bame). According to him, the SUV was very powerful and to test it, he took the car near a concrete verandah of 2ft height. With a mere prod to the acceletor,it climbed the verandah.

- Tata Safari is the best vehicle because he has done 200kmph in it.

- Tata Safari is a white elephant because it requires oil change every 2000kms.

- Top end models of all cars are safer because they have all the security features. He doesn't accept that manufacturers like Honda provide all safety features even in the entry level variants.

- Honda cars require oil change every 20000kms as they are very smooth and there is no friction. So less frequent oil change. BTW he owns a Civic.

- He drives a Pajero in 4H in rains as it improves the grip in wet conditions( is it true?).
Old 20th July 2012, 15:54   #960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
- He drives a Pajero in 4H in rains as it improves the grip in wet conditions( is it true?).
This one is true. But he should be quick to switch back to 2WD when the road turns dry, else he will damage the transmission.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks