Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 11:10   #1171
BHPian

Re: Quirky logic and funny comments from non-petrol head friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
This one is unique.

One day my neighbor was traveling with me to our office as he had some work nearby.
We were in my office's Maruti Van. We were doing a decent 70kmph, when a Safari zoomed past me, a few moments later, a Scorpio followed. On seeing this we had the following conversation:
Hahahaha! Not exactly same but I have similar incidence.

A friend of mine was riding alonside me on his Suzuki GS150r, i was on a Unicorn.

I asked him to cruise at 50kmph and not go faster. Pat came his reply "Not possible"

The conversation went like this:

Me: Why?

Friend: In my bike, the speedometer wire is fixed at the rear wheel.

Me: (I know this was the 1st point of complete bull****, still I ignored it and asked "So?")

Friend: Arey, my speedometer and your speedometer can never match, if you are doing 50kmph, my bike will be actually doing 60-65kmph cuz since the wire is attached with the rear wheel, it gives different readings.

After this statement I was just going to jump off my bike right away, but you know how sometimes you just have to ignore and choose not explaining them rather than getting in an argument and waste tonnes of energy.

-Bhargav
Old 4th July 2014, 15:29   #1172
BHPian

One of the most foolish things I've heard a lot when I was about 8 years younger was from my brother. He cannot ride, hence usually is on the pillion. At traffic intersections, when lights are RED, he would tell me to just go on ahead. He would try to push the bike forward. I have told him several times that he is crazy and we would of-course end up dead men/boys. But he thought the world would stop and clear out for us to go.

Was it just plain stupidity or an over the top thing that some people have?

Another matter that he grew wiser with time and years.
Old 8th July 2014, 12:55   #1173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
On asking him to get on to 1st he told its a special gear only to be used under extreme circumstances and he refused to use it.
I had a similar experience with my friend who was in his final year Engg. (way back in 2001). We were about to take a spin in his new Tata Sumo that his dad had bought. He started the sumo and straight away plonked it into 2nd gear and the car moved with a jerk. He did this at every signal and it really started to annoy. So, here was the conversation with him.

Me -Bro, what are you doing, you will screw the engine and the clutch this way.

Him -Man, you don't anything about the Sumo. It's so powerful that you actually never need to engage first gear.

Me - So why do you think Tata gave it in the first place?

Him - It's given just to add up to 5 gears as is the norm with every manufacturer.

Hmm, I was like, wow! but, had to control my emotions till I got dropped home.
pareshraheja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 13:32   #1174
BHPian

Well, this is about a decade ago, I had just been gifted a Pulsar 150 UG3. A friend rode pillion with me to the college and she made a big fuzz about me engaging the 5th gear on city roads.

classmate: Dude, are you mad? You just rode in the 5th gear.

Me: Ugh, yeah so?

classmate: I lover her yaar. Please ride alone from tomorrow. Please!

Me: !?!

All my friends who knew how I ride, burst into laughter.
Old 8th July 2014, 17:24   #1175
BHPian

Another instance that i remember, since it's a recent one:

Got up early in the morning as I thought, I would start jogging. Rode my Pulsar 220 Dts-i to the park. Ran a few rounds and came home.

My watchman cleans the bike and car every morning. Seeing me, he was a bit cautious and as soon as I parked my Bike, he started cleaning it with a bucket full of water and a micro fibre cloth.

I smiled at him and started walking towards the lift. While i was waiting for the lift, the watchman was vigorously splashing water and cleaning the bike. Just to notice that moments later (Just to show that he is darn serious about the cleaning work), he took the wet micro fibre cloth and started cleaning the chain!

I immediately ran towards him and he was so petrified! I had to calm down and explained him never to do so again.
Old 12th July 2014, 00:32   #1176
BHPian

I was seated in passenger seat when my aunt is driving her Mini Cooper.
After reaching our destination, my aunt did not engage the hand brake even though she put it in park.

I asked her why she did not engage the hand brake.
Her reply, " Cars in USA does not require parking brake to be engaged, unlike cars in India. Putting it in Park Mode is enough"
This happened when we parked it on uphill.
Old 12th July 2014, 14:23   #1177
BHPian

Recently my FIL bumped his car with a bus with damages to front bumper and wheel arches (thankfully no one was hurt.).

When he took the car to one of his "trusted" mechanics, he gave an approximate quote of Rs. 20k. On asking that we will get it done by insurance, he said don't bother Insurance as you will have to pay more than 20k. Also he said you can pay him for the works and then get the money from insurance as u get it in case of Medical Insurance.

This is even after my FIL told him that we have a Zero Depreciation Insurance Policy.
Old 12th July 2014, 14:37   #1178
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Him - It's given just to add up to 5 gears as is the norm with every manufacturer.

Actually, this is true for Force Motor vehicles. Quoting from my old Gama review:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I adjusted the mirrors and started off on 2nd gear. I was told 1st is unused unless you are in some really deep incline. The floor based gear shifts were smooth enough contrary to expectation. That doesn't mean I liked floor based tall gear shift, it has too much travel. However, it does fall clearly into the gears with a click. The gears are little different than regular cars. The Reverse is left up, 1st is left down, 2nd is middle up, 3rd is middle down, 4th is right up and 5th is right down. At one point I was driving at 4th gear and the driver said I am in 3rd. I say no and start out to prove it is at right up. The manager and driver started laughing. Then they tell me that they don't count the 1st gear. Here 2nd is 1st, 3rd is 2nd, 4th is 3rd, 5th is 4th, and there is no 5th. So much for their insider joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzgh1 View Post
classmate: I lover her yaar. Please ride alone from tomorrow. Please!
What is the meaning of this?
Old 12th July 2014, 15:11   #1179
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Him -Man, you don't anything about the Sumo. It's so powerful that you actually never need to engage first gear.

Me - So why do you think Tata gave it in the first place?

Quote:
Actually, this is true for Force Motor vehicles
As Samurai mentioned it's true for the Sumo. All cabbies use 1st gear only for inclines or when there is full load.

Have seen the same for Tempo traveller and Innova/Qualis. Drivers prefer starting from second gear as the 1st gear ratio is very short. It's only usable to just get moving.
Old 13th July 2014, 11:15   #1180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
As Samurai mentioned it's true for the Sumo. All cabbies use 1st gear only for inclines or when there is full load.

Have seen the same for Tempo traveller and Innova/Qualis. Drivers prefer starting from second gear as the 1st gear ratio is very short. It's only usable to just get moving.
It may be true for the cabbies you mentioned. But, in my friends Sumo, I disagree coz I drove his car after that and did try to pull it from 2nd gear on a plain straight road and it was struggling. I had to really ride the clutch to get the torque out.
Old 14th July 2014, 00:05   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
What is the meaning of this?
He meant, please don't ride in the 5th gear and endanger his love's life!

5th Gear according to him and many others was: Supersonic speeds :P
Old 14th July 2014, 15:19   #1182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
I was seated in passenger seat when my aunt is driving her Mini Cooper.
After reaching our destination, my aunt did not engage the hand brake even though she put it in park.

I asked her why she did not engage the hand brake.
Her reply, " Cars in USA does not require parking brake to be engaged, unlike cars in India. Putting it in Park Mode is enough"
This happened when we parked it on uphill.
This happened to me as well. I was driving and my colleague (Indian who is settled in US) kept on ranting why I pull the handbrakes and not just leave it in park
Old 14th July 2014, 20:32   #1183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
This happened to me as well. I was driving and my colleague (Indian who is settled in US) kept on ranting why I pull the handbrakes and not just leave it in park

Can you please why you expect person to engage hand break in AT equipped car when the car is parked in P mode?
Old 14th July 2014, 21:06   #1184
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Can you please why you expect person to engage hand break in AT equipped car when the car is parked in P mode?
Because when the car is in P mode all that is stopping the 1000s of KGs of the car from moving is a little pin in the transmission. On level surfaces its fine, but on an incline imagine how much stress is on that. If it brakes imagine what will happen.
Old 14th July 2014, 21:19   #1185
Team-BHP Support

Nobody really uses parking brake in automatic cars in USA, except may be in slopes. I don't recall using parking brakes in my 9 year stay in USA. I started using P.brakes only after coming back to India in 2004.

Most Viewed