Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2010, 15:33   #16
BHPian

I'm supposed to switch off my phone at school, and often, I forget to turn it on for hours after that.

Cell phones wouldn't be a nuisance if people followed basic etiquette while using them. It so bugs you when you're talking with someone, and suddenly his phone rings and he starts rambling there and then itself.
Old 21st July 2010, 15:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

It is not impossible, but there will be withdrawal symptoms initially! I switch off my cell phone at 10.00 PM every day and will switch on only at 8.00 AM the next day. Anyone wishing to contact me in between will have to come on the land line.

Cell phones are banned at my employer's factory as well as the office attached to it. They are allowed only for certain key personnel, for whom official phones are issued.
Old 21st July 2010, 15:57   #18
BHPian

Cell phones, TV and work are the top three things I can just throw away, provided the vacuum created by them is filled by more interesting things

Regards,
Old 21st July 2010, 16:29   #19
BHPian

I have lived without a cell phone for months (I relocated from Mumbai to Pune a few years ago) and just did not buy a Pune sim card for 4/5 months. Finally had to relent and get a new card just to keep in touch (with my family atleast).
Old 21st July 2010, 16:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
I got a call from the Business Development Mgr on my mobile (after she asked for my no. over email) this morning and the first thing she asked was why was my mobile number not in the company directory! It's kind of taken for granted! My mobile phone, it's personal and I do not want more than 100,000 colleagues to know it!
I know, I am not entitled for a mobile phone reimbursement from the company. Reason - mine is a desk job! However, no one calls me on my desk and all escalations happen post me leaving the office Unnecessarily, I have to spend money for office use which is not reimbursed to me.
Old 21st July 2010, 16:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

It has been a usual practise that some people always call only on mobile phone, even if there is no urgency. When one is at home or in office, they can call using landline?. may be mobile to mobile, the rates may be cheaper? And I have seen many keeping the mobile next to the bed in the night time. This is bad and dangerous?.
Unless, important calls I avoid mobile phone (and I know that the caller will come on the landline immediately) and never touch the handset after 10pm.
Old 21st July 2010, 17:06   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
It has been a usual practise that some people always call only on mobile phone, even if there is no urgency. When one is at home or in office, they can call using landline?. may be mobile to mobile, the rates may be cheaper? And I have seen many keeping the mobile next to the bed in the night time. This is bad and dangerous?.
Unless, important calls I avoid mobile phone (and I know that the caller will come on the landline immediately) and never touch the handset after 10pm.
Cheaper rates? At least for prepaid, with the advent of 1 paisa/sec rates, mobile to mobile/mobile to land line/even STD rates are one and the same. People do it out of habit, as mobile to mobile rates were cheaper earlier.

Keeping the mobile on a bedside table at night is no problem. Just don't keep it very close to your head or under the pillow. Better switch it off at night, like me! If you have the habit of setting the alarm on your mobile, it will still work even if the phone is switched off.
Old 22nd July 2010, 01:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

It depends on who you are.

If you're a retired elderly couple, you won't have too much trouble if you lose your cellphone.

If you're a young marketing exec, you're in deep poo
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:16   #24
BHPian

It's getting better or worse...

Yesterday I go in to the washroom. I am the only one in the room.

This time someone behind closed doors was negotiating salary with a prospective employer. He spoke for a minute or so and realized that there may be other people outside listening to him.
So he asked the person on the other side of the phone to call him after 5 mins. After this, I hear him say again to the person to call him at least after 2 mins if not 5 mins.
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:55   #25
BHPian

With my 1st Mobile connection in 1999 when the mobile service provider used to charge high rates for both incoming & outgoing calls i used to my use my mobile very minimal.
Now the prices dropped every one talks unnecessarily for hours.
My opinion is the mobile service providers should fix the call charges that
less talk - less cost / call
more talk - more cost / call
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:55   #26
MX6
Senior - BHPian

I use my phone only for emergencies. Most of my outgoing calls are under 1 minute. Either I just say that things are fine and I'm coming back home in x hours or it's to say a friend, I'm around the corner, let's meet up over a cuppa.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks