Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 11:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
On a serious note, I read in Times Wellness that drinking a glass of warm water with a teaspoon of lemon juice added (no sugar) on empty stomach will help reduce weight.
This is a myth. Nimbu paani does not help to reduce weight in any way (other than the calories burnt in the act of preparing nimbu paani).

Rohan
Old 26th July 2010, 11:51   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
This is a myth. Nimbu paani does not help to reduce weight in any way (other than the calories burnt in the act of preparing nimbu paani).

Rohan
+1
It's so popular because most of the obese people are lazy to do physical activity and these kinds of shortcuts are exactly what they want to hear.

Last edited by Daewood : 26th July 2010 at 11:53.
Old 27th July 2010, 00:21   #18
Senior - BHPian

1. Quit Sugar and Soda.
2. Eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 large meals.
3. Carbs are good for you. But only the ones which have low glycemic index. E.g. Refined Sugar, Refined Flour, White rice are bad for health.
4. You have to completely stop trans fat and avoid saturated fat. Unsaturated fat in small quantities are good for you. I believe it promotes good cholesterol (HDL) if I'm not wrong.
5. You don't have to count those calories if you eat the right things. E.g. A spoonful of sugar is just 15-20cal. But its extremely harmful. Similarly an apple is around 75-100 cal. But its very good for you.
Old 28th July 2010, 10:39   #19
BHPian

Eat only when truly hungry, when one feels juices running in the tummy, never eat on time. Eat only when stomach wants. For optimal digestion.
Old 28th July 2010, 22:41   #20
BHPian

Urban India is out of sync to the entire planet when it comes to meal times...
Having stayed around the globe & heck -even when I visit my village in Uttaranchal - what strikes me is how world over people have dinner by 6.30 to 7.30 pm.

Only in urban India we eat dinner 8-10 pm !
Move that ahead by 1-2 hrs & come in sync with the globe
Old 29th July 2010, 13:39   #21
BHPian

While it is truly informative to know what to eat and not to eat by their technical terms (carbs, saturated / Unsaturated fat, glycemic index,etc), for the uninitiated, it will be even more useful if these are translated into actual eatables that we can buy from bazaar.
Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:28   #22
Team-BHP Support

I know there are quite some technical details involved here. But what I can say is that for the un-initiated, there is a simple truth, where one can guage whether eating something is heavy or not; very easily. Though not always possible, but yes more than 70% of times the issues can resolved by that split decision.

- Ask yourselves how many times in a month you eat in a hotel?
- Ask yourselves, how many times you take up the phone and call for a Pizza?

That should answer most of the question for oneself!

Rest of the episode is then how regular one is in his/her habits.
Old 6th November 2018, 16:17   #23
BHPian

Superfoods - What we eat matters !

Hi Everyone,

Taking a sneak peek into lifestyle pattern and habits over the last 10+ years, the food that we eat really matters. In a urban areas, where sedentary life knowingly or unknowingly has become a part, it opens up the gate for numerous diseases to follow.

For someone in Mid-30s, health check ups serve as a wake up call, to analyse and focus on what your body needs. Prevention is better than cure - an old saying but effective one.

I started with slight changes in food pattern over last few weeks, regularly noting macros and nutrients intake, I think it has helped me to focus more on my health and prepare it for the long marathon of life.

Would love to know what fellow Bhpians think of Superfoods and would be really helpful for someone naive like me and fellow readers to take a step towards being healthy and fit.

As per the old saying - Health is Wealth !
Old 6th November 2018, 22:03   #24
BHPian

Re: Superfoods - What we eat matters !

In my opinion, the idea of superfoods is a modern day fad that's more about marketing than anything else. I mean, everything can be a superfood depending the conditions of the person and situation they are in. Shouldn't be hard to find circumstances where even refined sugar could be called a superfood!

Balance is what I look for while being mindful of any general pitfalls.

One good thing about the fad though is that is brings to public purview yet another option that might otherwise have been forgotten.

For instance, Flaxseed was something we had long forgotten. When it gained popularity my mom would make that "south Indian gun powder" masala that we can eat with dosa/idli and rice too. I totally love it with decent amounts of ghee.

Another example being the Moringa (drumstick). Although we've always had this, my folks started making moringa tea! It's drinkable once a while, sure. When I visit them I do have it.

Lotus seed (makhana) was another.

But still, more a fad than something of real substance if one is already living a fairly balanced life, in my opinion.
Old 28th September 2020, 16:30   #25
PGA
BHPian

The Good Food Thread

A welcome impact of Covid 19 has been that it has brought into focus the kind of food that we eat. The food should normally be beneficial for our health and well being.

The purpose of the thread is to collate scientifically valid information about food and its various aspects, the way its grown, the way its handled, the way it is processed, the way its consumed and the impact of all this on our health.

During lockdown I got working on a project about edible oils. The presentation above is in concise my learning about the oils that we consume in our food as a routine be it at home or at a restaurant or in the processed food. Hope its of some benefit to our community.

A small caveat - The values given in the tables may vary 1-2% as each variety and growing condition impact these figures.

Regards

Last edited by PGA : 28th September 2020 at 17:08.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 16:57   #26
PGA
BHPian

Re: The Good Food Thread

Oily Stuff - what is all about
Attached Thumbnails
Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0001.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0002.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0003.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0004.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0005.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0006.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0007.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0008.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0009.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0010.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0011.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0012.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0013.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0014.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0015.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0016.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0017.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0018.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0019.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0020.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0021.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0022.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0023.jpg  

Healthy Eating - Tips & advice-0024.jpg  

Last edited by PGA : 28th September 2020 at 17:02.
PGA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks