Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 01:30   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Can anybody tell me what to do if you've uploaded a XML with wrong info ? Do you file revised returns in that case ?
There is a column where you can mark the filing as a correction/revised. Mark this, along with the previous declaration number for which another column is provided. This now provides the reference to the previous document number in the system which this serves to correct. I had done the same last year when filing my returns.
Old 26th July 2010, 02:43   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
There is a column where you can mark the filing as a correction/revised. Mark this, along with the previous declaration number for which another column is provided. This now provides the reference to the previous document number in the system which this serves to correct. I had done the same last year when filing my returns.
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Last edited by anku94 : 26th July 2010 at 02:45.
Old 26th July 2010, 07:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Just got the ackn for the post I did on last Monday/Tuesday.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:24   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
This is what i see in site & the mail send with ITR-V.

Quote:
ITR-V sent by Speedpost, Registered Post or Courier will not be accepted. Form ITR-V shall not be received in any other office of the Income-tax Department or in any other manner.

And this is what I found on the site:

Quote:
A duly verified ITR-V form should be mailed to “Income Tax Department – CPC, Post Bag No - 1, Electronic City Post Office, Bangalore - 560100, Karnataka, ” BY ORDINARY POST OR SPEEDPOST ONLY within 120 days after the date of transmitting the data electronically.
I've seen the time stipulation for ITR-V to be 15 days also, somewhere else on the site. Go figure.
Old 26th July 2010, 10:41   #20
BHPian

That's government for you!

1. As I've reported earlier, the latest ITR-1 excel version (Rev-16) has a bug. For example this calculates the sum of two figures to be 50 lakhs (with corresponding taxes etc.) when it should be 5.5 lakhs!

2. The site says that if one has loss from house property, one needs to file ITR-2 or above. However, the ITR-1 does specifically allow one to enter loss with a '-' appended in front. Who does one believe?

3. On the form one needs to provide dates for TDS submission with the government. Only one date is allowed on a line. For periodic TDS submission by the employer, banks etc. one usually has a zillion dates! Which one does one fill?

The two email contact addresses given on the site, and by email are useless. Nobody ever responds!

Also, how can one verify that the xml generated is correct, before uploading it, --- by painstakingly reading the file manually? My browser or other softwares don't read it!

Last edited by meerkat : 26th July 2010 at 10:43.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
2. The site says that if one has loss from house property, one needs to file ITR-2 or above. However, the ITR-1 does specifically allow one to enter loss with a '-' appended in front. Who does one believe?
Do not belive anyone. It is clearly stateed on this (https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in...ividual_huf.do) page on website about which ITR should be used for various types of incomes. XLS is just a tool and it can have errors (like you have already found one). The rules (which apply even if you file paper returns) will supercede the XLS.

Quote:
3. On the form one needs to provide dates for TDS submission with the government. Only one date is allowed on a line. For periodic TDS submission by the employer, banks etc. one usually has a zillion dates! Which one does one fill?
You can download 26AS from the website and after verifying that all the entries are present in it, reformat the data and paste it in xls.

Quote:
Also, how can one verify that the xml generated is correct, before uploading it, --- by painstakingly reading the file manually? My browser or other softwares don't read it!
The XLS should generate the xml appropriately if you have never "cut" any cells/rows/column from the XLS. You can verify it against schema although it wont validate if it matches the XLS.
https://incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in...anced_users.do

Last edited by alto99 : 26th July 2010 at 15:49.
Old 26th July 2010, 15:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You can combine all entries into one and put it. That's what I did for the 12 months of TDS. And this is on ITR-2.

Quote:
And this is what I found on the site:

I've seen the time stipulation for ITR-V to be 15 days also, somewhere else on the site. Go figure.
You should have read the whole post.

Quote:
This is really strange. Because, in the main page of the e-filling site, they say same. But again when you print the acknowledgment form or read the instruction it gives after uploading, it clearly says its only by ordinary post.

Probably the inconsistency is due to missing of updates in some web pages I beleive. Anyway, just to be safer, I did the ordinary post only.
That's why I specifically mentioned there are some inconsistency in their own site.

Last edited by mjothi : 26th July 2010 at 15:58.
Old 26th July 2010, 19:55   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
You can combine all entries into one and put it. That's what I did for the 12 months of TDS.
Two different IT officers in two different efiling centres told me that the TDS entries can't be combined and that they need to be made in a manner to exactly match the information contained in the 26AS form! That means entering a zillion lines!

So it looks like what alto99 suggested is the way to go. However, this is a lot of work. 26AS can be downloaded only in text format. One needs to read that into an excel sheet, reformat it to match the ITR format, and then enter all the information properly in the ITR form. There is a lot of scope for errors in handling a lot of data. And to top it all, the 26AS includes redundant entries where the bank has often credited amounts, and then reversed them subsequently! Does one filter them out (extra work)? If the entries are to be compared with 26AS by software, what happens? The IT department has just released a work-in-progress with all the issues not resolved yet, or even thought through!
Old 28th July 2010, 18:04   #24
BHPian

@meerkat
From "TDS entries" point of view I would still prefer e-filing even though there is soem formatting effort.

Imagine writing down those entries in paper format - By the way there is no way to insert rows on the paper form
Old 28th July 2010, 20:13   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Imagine writing down those entries in paper format - By the way there is no way to insert rows on the paper form
No, this issue never arose when I filed paper returns. A single consolidated entry for each employer/bank was all that was needed.
Old 28th July 2010, 20:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two different IT officers in two different efiling centres told me that the TDS entries can't be combined and that they need to be made in a manner to exactly match the information contained in the 26AS form! That means entering a zillion lines
Quote:
No, this issue never arose when I filed paper returns. A single consolidated entry for each employer/bank was all that was needed.
Does it mean, we can combine when doing manually but not while doing e-filng? Why so?
Old 29th July 2010, 08:48   #27
BHPian

I'd guess that they are trying to automate verification, including comparing of the 26AS data with returns filed. To this end they are passing on some of their work on to us. For paper returns everything had to be done manually, so apparently they just compared the consolidated information.
Old 29th July 2010, 14:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I'd guess that they are trying to automate verification, including comparing of the 26AS data with returns filed. To this end they are passing on some of their work on to us. For paper returns everything had to be done manually, so apparently they just compared the consolidated information.
These are the isntructions for paper based filing from the website (http://law.incometaxindia.gov.in/DIT...ructions-1.pdf)

"In items 23 and 24, please furnish the details in accordance with Form 16 issued by the employer(s) in respect of salary
income and Form 16A issued by a person in respect of interest income and other sources of income. Further in order to
enable the Income Tax Department to provide accurate, quicker and full credit for taxes deducted at source, the
taxpayer must ensure to quote complete details of every TDS transaction
."

So I dont think rules are different based on the medium (paper/"e")

Last edited by alto99 : 29th July 2010 at 14:54.
Old 29th July 2010, 15:48   #29
BHPian

I tried e-filing of the returns. The XML was uploaded and when I got the ITR V acknowledgment found that the Chapter V deductions were completely missing. Mails sent did not get any response. As I was hesitant to manually modify the ITR V, I abandoned the project and went in for the regular submission mode at the IT office.
Old 29th July 2010, 17:16   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Further in order to enable the Income Tax Department to provide accurate, quicker and full credit for taxes deducted at source, the
taxpayer must ensure to quote complete details of every TDS transaction
."

So I dont think rules are different based on the medium (paper/"e")
These instructions are for AY 2010-11. I haven't seen anything so clearly written in earlier years when I filed paper returns. A consolidated statement is all I provided, and the IT department didn't come back to me regarding this.

I wonder what percentage of paper return filers would include all details as required (unless filed through some agent). For me this was 63 individual lines of entries (excluding numerous credit-and-reversal cases by the bank)! The IT department is becoming too clever for their own good.

Last edited by meerkat : 29th July 2010 at 17:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks