Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2022, 15:46   #15151
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: The Cricket Thread

Stokes dropped on 18 by Shardul Thakur off Shami, this could prove very costly in the context of the game. Shardul had ample time to take the catch and it just popped out of his hands!

Bairstow and Stokes are now stroking the ball freely and taking risks, just hope they don't get away easily.

Edit:dramatic turn of events - Stokes dropped again this time by Bumrah off Shardul but the very next ball the same shot is played and a tougher catching opportunity and this time it's taken by Bumrah

Last edited by NPV : 3rd July 2022 at 16:01.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 19:43   #15152
Senior - BHPian

Rediff adds 100 runs to England's total, perhaps they were surprised.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20220703193950_chrome2.jpg  

Old 4th July 2022, 13:11   #15153
BHPian

Kohli is an embarrassment to people watching cricket. Wonder how he feels. Not sure if management has told him, whatever his contribution as a batsman, he will not be removed

We will need more runs on board, at least 400 lead to be safe.
PreludeSH is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 13:17   #15154
BHPian

Experts: What strategy would India follow, in your opinion, today? (Weather forecast: Overcast with chances of rain 0-10%)

Strategy-A: Pile on runs till tea/ post tea with the target set at 500 (scoring 243 in 60-70 overs)

Strategy-B: Score 150-200 more by end of tea and post a competitive 400-450 for 120 overs today and tomorrow

Strategy-C: Keep on scoring and let Eng bat the last ten overs today (considering we only need to draw this match to win the series 2-1).
Old 4th July 2022, 13:19   #15155
Team-BHP Support

Bat as long as possible. Shut England out of the game. I am pretty confident that we will be able to bowl them out on the last day.

But anything under 400, England will have a go at it. And then you never know....
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 13:23   #15156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Experts: What strategy would India follow, in your opinion, today? (Weather forecast: Overcast with chances of rain 0-10%)

Strategy-A: Pile on runs till tea/ post tea with the target set at 500 (scoring 243 in 60-70 overs)

Strategy-B: Score 150-200 more by end of tea and post a competitive 400-450 for 120 overs today and tomorrow

Strategy-C: Keep on scoring and let Eng bat the last ten overs today (considering we only need to draw this match to win the series 2-1).
Strategy-D: Bat till all wickets are lost.
Old 4th July 2022, 14:20   #15157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Bat as long as possible. Shut England out of the game. I am pretty confident that we will be able to bowl them out on the last day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Strategy-D: Bat till all wickets are lost.
The Most Important One:

Ask Kohli to not provoke Bairstow .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Kohli is an embarrassment to people watching cricket. Wonder how he feels.
He was indeed an embarrassment yesterday. He could perhaps be trying to get his old psychological mojo back by emulating his past. Doesn't seem to be working for him; at least not yet!
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 15:06   #15158
BHPian

I might get jumped upon for saying this, but I think the better days of Kohli are long done. He is being average since 2019. Everyone said he might get his form back in few months, then few said in a year. It is now close to 3 years but he is not close to how he used to play. There have been 50s here and there but we are not seeing the dominating Kohli that we all have known.
shipnil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 15:26   #15159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I might get jumped upon for saying this, but I think the better days of Kohli are long done. He is being average since 2019. Everyone said he might get his form back in few months, then few said in a year. It is now close to 3 years but he is not close to how he used to play. There have been 50s here and there but we are not seeing the dominating Kohli that we all have known.
The good ol' days are gone. But if Virat doesn't do something about it, it is going to be permanent.

Virat needs to go back to domestic cricket and earn his place back into the team like everyone else does. It has been so bad that I really can't remember a recent instance where nobody from 7-11 has outscored Kohli in a completed test innings. In the meantime, practically anyone from the deserving ones in the domestic circuit can take his place in the team. They should be good enough for the number of runs Virat has been scoring if not more. Just the Ranji Trophy final gave us 2-3 good candidates.

As far as the match is concerned, I would go with Strategy D. Declarations against this English side are absolutely unsafe. Especially since we just need the draw to win the series.

Last edited by antz.bin : 4th July 2022 at 15:49.
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 15:38   #15160
Senior - BHPian

I doubt if Virat will ever go back to playing domestic cricket; and even if he does, if it will be of much help to him.

He should instead skip a few series and play as much county cricket as possible. His recent outings have showcased not just his lack of confidence but also a marked absence of clarity in, and control over his shots. A county stint followed by a month of back to basics grind at NCA would be good antidotes to his current lack of form.
Old 4th July 2022, 15:39   #15161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I'm afraid the Virat we knew from 2015-18 is gone forever. He and we will be lucky if he can go back to even 60% of that consistency. But I do not see that happening.

He definitely does not deserve a place in the playing 11 for the T20 world cup, and if he does get dropped that will be a major event in his career. It could finish him, or motivate him to get back. But something has to give..... and soon.
Old 4th July 2022, 15:43   #15162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
I doubt if Virat will ever go back to playing domestic cricket; and even if he does, if it will be of much help to him.
Quote:
...He definitely does not deserve a place in the playing 11 for the T20 world cup, and if he does get dropped that will be a major event in his career. It could finish him, or motivate him to get back. But something has to give..... and soon.
With a T20 WC this year and an ODI WC in 2023, we need the ruthless Kohli of the past. Right now, watching him is just sad.
And no one seems to have any cure for him. Not Shashtri, not Dravid, not Ganguly.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 16:23   #15163
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He definitely does not deserve a place in the playing 11 for the T20 world cup,
Forget about T20,Virat hasn't scored a 100 for almost 3yrs in the Test format! I feel players like Virat & Rohit should understand that its just not possible to play all 3 formats + IPL in this day & age. I do not know how the team is going to fit someone like Ishan Kishan into the XI for the T20 WC. From what i can see the top 7 selects itself - Rohit,KL,Virat,SKY,Pant,Hardik,Jadeja !
Old 4th July 2022, 16:26   #15164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
...for the T20 WC. From what i can see the top 7 selects itself - Rohit,KL,Virat,SKY,Pant,Hardik,Jadeja !
Bottom 2 select themselves as well:
Shami
Bhumrah
Old 4th July 2022, 17:58   #15165
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bottom 2 select themselves as well:
Shami
Bhumrah
Shami is not a certainty in T20. I think Bhuvi and Harshal are ahead of him.

Most Viewed