Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 21:05   #15361
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

Whatever the circumstances - I got goosebumps watching it today. THANK GOD, finally!
Old 8th September 2022, 21:13   #15362
BHPian

Not just Kohli, we've all waited for this.

All the shots today gave me flashbacks of prime Kohli, when he used to chase any target down.

Me and dad didn't even mention the word century once he crossed 80. Just didn't want to jinx it, lol.

The King is back
Old 8th September 2022, 21:23   #15363
Senior - BHPian

2 big Positives from cup debacle.

Kohli is back to his best.
Arshdeep is certified a good death bowler. With Bumrah they can be brilliant combination at death.

And for god sake drop Pant from T20. He just isn't able to do it. Let DK be the finisher.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 00:27   #15364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
2 big Positives from cup debacle.
One more - It is confirmed that Avesh is overhyped.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 07:53   #15365
Senior - BHPian

The 4th positive is Pant can also build innings and has learnt to control his aggression. Bhuvi's five wicket haul against Afghanistan is enough to keep him in the team. Deepak Hooda and Dinesh Karthik failed to utilise their opportunity.
Old 9th September 2022, 10:14   #15366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Dinesh Karthik failed to utilise their opportunity.
Sorry my cricket knowledge is weak at best but thought he hardly got to play a couple of balls or so? There was a meme going round saying he bowled more balls than he got to face

Been a mighty long since i saw kohli bat like this. He seemed cheerful and was enjoying his time at the crease. Hope it gives him newfound confidence to do the same against quality opponents.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 11:18   #15367
Senior - BHPian

With the consistently inconsistent performance exhibited by our dear stars, I am finding it very difficult to draft them into my Dream 11 team!

The BCCI should perhaps divest the Selection Committee of the power to nominate players; the team could rather be built on the basis of the players’ popularity in the virtual leagues. This way, players will be selected on the basis of their current worth and ability and not upon their past achievements, reputation and/or marketability.
dailydriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 11:33   #15368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
One more - It is confirmed that Avesh is overhyped.
I won't be too hard on him. He is a good guy but not ready for international scene. Needs more seasons in domestic to get better. I am actually amused when we have Siraj and Shami we still opted for Avesh for Asia cup. Seems not just the team but the selectors too don't care for Asia cup which every other Asian team is taking very seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
The 4th positive is Pant can also build innings and has learnt to control his aggression. Bhuvi's five wicket haul against Afghanistan is enough to keep him in the team. Deepak Hooda and Dinesh Karthik failed to utilise their opportunity.
Pant shouldn't be in T20 set up till world cup atleast. I am a big fan of his exploits in tests but he just hasn't done anything of note in white ball. We don't need innings building after 15 overs. We need hitters which Pant wasn't able to do inspite of getting dropped twice.

Hooda was played out of position.
DK didn't even get a chance to play.
harry10 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 12:12   #15369
KPR
BANNED

If Pant is needed in T20 setup then he should be at the top as opener. DK is must in a team that has no lower order hitter other than Pandya. Rahul doesn't perform in marquee/decider games during which Shikar Dhawan is very good.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 13:33   #15370
BHPian

The queen is dead but the King is back. King Kohli!

Yesterday's match gives a slightly different perspective about which I will ponder a bit and write something over the weekend.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 16:24   #15371
Senior - BHPian

@deathwlkr, harry10, My comment was sarcastic and spoke on behalf of minds of decision makers. They will find a new excuse to keep Pant and frustrate DK.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 15:01   #15372
Oxy
BHPian

We should learn from what we went through in 2007. Picked a team full of seniors for the World Cup and got eliminated in the first round. Then we learnt our lesson, got rid of all the deadwood, put a young MSD at the helm and ended up winning the World T20 in the same year.

It is clear that Rahul is meek and a minnow basher at best. Rohit is also past his prime and is only capable of the occasional cameo. Chahal, Bhuvi, Shami, Ashwin all need to go. IPL is our domestic tournament, that should be the only criteria to pick the team.

My ideal eleven and batting order for the World T20 will be this:

Pant
Kohli
Rajat Patidar / Sanju Samson
Suryakumar
Nitish Rana / Venkatesh Iyer
Pandya (Captain)
DK / Shahrukh Khan
Axar Patel / Jadeja
Bumrah
Bishnoi / Rahul Chahar
Arshdeep / Deepak Chahar

Wishful thinking though, I know.
Oxy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 17:47   #15373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
We should learn from what we went through in 2007. Picked a team full of seniors for the World Cup and got eliminated in the first round. Then we learnt our lesson, got rid of all the deadwood, put a young MSD at the helm and ended up winning the World T20 in the same year.
Personally do not ageee to this logic. It is not a given that putting young blood in a WC will certainly give better results. Rohit Sharma has fitness issue and this Asia Cup has shown that he too is Human when it comes to captaincy. I dont remember he showing so many emotions on the ground while captaining Mumbai Indians. The next 2 series with Australia and SA should not be experimental but the core WC team should play all matches, irrespective of results.

My playing XI for T20 WC:

R Sharma (C)
V Kohli
SKY
S Samson (wk)
Hardik Pandya
DK
A Patel
R Ashwin/ D Chahar
B Kumar
J Bhumrah
A Singh / H Patel
Old 10th September 2022, 18:10   #15374
BHPian

One thing is very clear - TeamBhpians treat the coach Dravid with Kid gloves.

If under Shastri,

- India had lost the SA Test series in SA
- Had lost the 5th test against England (where the English chased 370+ in the 4th innings)
- And not even qualifying for Asia cup finals

All hell would have broken loose saying Shastri is very bad and because of him India are losing.

Now both Kohli and Shastri are not in limelite and BHPIans are struggling to blame people!
searacer932 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 08:05   #15375

Happy to see Kohli score runs and hope at least for a while all our 'experts' will stop talking.
I have always felt that Pant in T20 is just not as effective as he is Test as the field is spread out. DK and Samson are both better options. Mohsin Khan should have been tried and there is no way that Shami cant find a place.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks