Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 20:13   #15811
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

When we exited the t20 world cup, I thought we will have some wins against Bangladesh and then all will be well.

Now that we are not able to do even that, I don't know what to say. Zimbabwe perhaps?
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 20:26   #15812
Senior - BHPian

My gut feeling says that there is lot of forced selections and too much of interference from non-cricketing people inside BCCI. It will be good if somebody bursts out against the invisible power demoralising Indian cricket.
Old 7th December 2022, 20:46   #15813
Senior - BHPian

I believe main reason is our first choice 11 never plays together. Either couple of players are always injured or on rest. So, other players come and go series after series. Leave aside 11, we don't even have a fixed 15 players for World cup next year when most teams already know which players they are going to play in which position.

Players are on rest, now coach is on rest. What have they done to take so much rest. Except for IPL when everyone is magically fit and not on rest the whole year this musical chairs of Injuries and rest keep going on. This team is rapidly becoming a lost cause.

Rohit was brilliant today. Inspite of his injury he looked like the old Rohit. Only if Shardul and Siraj weren't absolutely dufus with the bat this would have been a win. Hopefully Rohit regains form and fitness after this game.

Last edited by harry10 : 7th December 2022 at 20:48.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 20:59   #15814
BHPian

Fantastic team effort by Whole team BCCI. ( I don't want to call this team as Team India somehow)

Great bowling by restricting Bangladesh under 300 after being at 69/6
Great batting by not building partnerships , truck loads of dot balls, and bowlers who can't even hold a bat properly
Great team selection by selectors
Great no scoring powerplay strategy by captain and coach

Eventhough i appreciate Rohit for coming at last with an injured finger, I'm not sympatetic towards him for these losses, he's one of the reason for current bad state of the team.

Last edited by Asish_VK : 7th December 2022 at 21:05.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 21:06   #15815
BHPian

So we lost another close match to Bangladesh.

It's the small yet crucial times where we are faltering. It was KL spilling a catch in the last game when the opposition was 9 down and Siraj playing a maiden over when we needed 40 from 18. Almost all the games we've lost since the Asia Cup in 2021, have been such close games that have gone down to the wire.

If you listen to Rohit's post match talks with the media, he more often than not talks about the (lack of) ability of the players to handle pressure in crunch moments, despite having all the talent in the world.

And this lack of initiative stemming from a crippling fear of failure has been our undoing. Overhauling the personnel will not bring about any drastic change, as we have seen from the switch in captaincy from Kohli to Sharma. The mentality of conservatism needs to change, especially in white ball cricket.

So far we've only seen sparks of that from the likes of Surya, Hardik, Virat, and in today's game from Shreyas, Axar and Rohit at the end. The problem is that these are just sparks, and the players seem to default back to traditional lethargy.

I hope it's a 3-0 whitewash against Bangladesh that catalyzes the mentality reset, rather than a loss to Pakistan on home soil in the 2023 WC.
Shumi_21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 21:18   #15816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Dunno why, but the heart still favours Kohli.
He scored 48 off 18 balls against Pakistan.
Today 40 were required off 18 and we lost by 5 runs against BANGLADESH.
To be fair to Rohit, Kohli is an expert finisher. Even in general, I don't think Kohli in ODIs is comparable to anyone except for ABD, Sachin, and the like. So your heart is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
Well, well, well.. quite a few cricket fans were of the opinion that Kohli's captaincy was the sole reason behind India's sub par performances in ICC tournaments. With Rohith taking charge, instant success was expected. Forget winning ICC tournaments, India have just gifted an ODI series to Bangladesh.
Kohli was trying to fill the shoes of MS. It is no mean feat to follow the best-ever captain of the Indian cricket team and hence he appeared to have failed as a captain. While in reality, he did extremely well - even more so in test cricket.
Bhargav7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 21:36   #15817
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I believe main reason is our first choice 11 never plays together. Either couple of players are always injured or on rest. So, other players come and go series after series.
Agreed. Some of the selection was extremely baffling. Shubman Gill was there in NZ but for some reason he was rested for this Banglades series. Or was he dropped? He hasn't been consistently part of the squad since months now. Siraj wasn't there in NZ ODIs but is here in Bangladesh. England has Adil Rashid while Australia has Zampa but we don't have any quality spinner in the team !
Old 7th December 2022, 21:37   #15818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhargav7 View Post
Kohli was trying to fill the shoes of MS. It is no mean feat to follow the best-ever captain of the Indian cricket team and hence he appeared to have failed as a captain. While in reality, he did extremely well - even more so in test cricket.
I think Kohli did better than Dhoni atleast in test captaincy. Under him we saw the best pace bowling attack. Under him, we were always going for the win. Never saw such aggression from team India in overseas tests before or after him. Kohli's team was leathel at bowling friendly pitches. That made opposition think twice before preparing a seaming track for India.

We have lost the agression and intent somehow. Also looks like the bonding between team is also lost. There is no grooming and support for new comers.

Fingers crossed and hoping for a better tomorrow.
Asish_VK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 22:04   #15819
KPR
BANNED

I think after this series Washy, Chahar, Axar, Jay Shah, Jaffer needs rest and will be rested.
Old 8th December 2022, 07:37   #15820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
I think Kohli did better than Dhoni at least in test captaincy. Under him, we saw the best pace bowling attack. Kohli's team was lethal at bowling-friendly pitches. That made the opposition think twice before preparing a seaming track for India.
Kohli was our best captain after Ganguly, there is too much-personalized selection happening inside BCCI. The Indian dressing room from now on can be called a restroom.NCA is now a rehabilitation center and probably has stopped nurturing new talents. If Bangladesh can afford Alan Donald, why can't we have a proper bowling coach? It is such a shame that Dravid has once given a lame excuse for the defeats and has also spoken about the next resting schedule for the players. Our players now resemble the dreaded VW-Skoda DSG gearbox.

Last edited by deehunk : 8th December 2022 at 07:47.
Old 8th December 2022, 11:34   #15821
Senior - BHPian

So, apparently Rohit will miss next game and in danger of missing test series too. KL will be captain next game so it's a goner already. However I am more concerned with KL captaining the Tests. He is the most uninspiring Captain I have ever seen and crumbles under pressure as a player so as a Captain he is a disaster. Ideally I wish Kohli could Captain for 2 games if Rohit misses but the way Kohli was treated in the Captaincy fiasco he won't even touch it again. I won't even mind Pant or Shreyas as Captain as they are so much better at it than KL and actually perform in important games.

And if we lose the Bangladesh test the WTC final is Goodbye. Shitty scenario all around.

Also, Ideally Abhimanyu who is a legit opener playing against Bangladesh A right now and has scored 2 centuries should be Rohit replacement but I am sure selectors will draft Gill as replacement ignoring someone who is use to of Bangladesh pitches currently.

Only good news is Bumrah and Jadeja will be back against SL. God knows how much this team needs both of them.

Last edited by harry10 : 8th December 2022 at 11:36.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 12:34   #15822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I am sure selectors will draft Gill as a replacement ignoring someone who is used to Bangladesh pitches currently.

The only good news is Bumrah and Jadeja will be back against SL. God knows how much this team needs both of them.
Jadeja surely has been missed, what a turnaround he showed after being branded as an indisciplined guy a decade ago, As far as the last ODI is considered, they will promote KL Rahul to the opening slot and include Ishan Kishan as the keeper. Shikhar Dhawan may lead the team in Rahul's absence.
Old 8th December 2022, 12:38   #15823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Fantastic team effort by Whole team BCCI. ( I don't want to call this team as Team India somehow)
You can't have "Team BCCI" when they lose against Bangladesh in a bilateral, and
"Team India" when they win against Pakistan in T20 WC.

It is Team India: Be a world champion or down in the dumps.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 14:44   #15824
BHPian

Quote:
You can't have "Team BCCI" when they lose against Bangladesh in a bilateral, and

Agreed to your comment too. What got me to the *rant* is not because we are losing, it's because of the non sense team selection.

Don't get me wrong, I am an avid follower for any Indian sports team. I don't mind the team losing, but I do mind the approach.
Even when we won against WCT20 against Pakistan & Bangaladesh, i was critical against the approach we had.

Last edited by Eddy : 8th December 2022 at 14:52. Reason: Corrected typos.
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 16:42   #15825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Jadeja surely has been missed, what a turnaround he showed after being branded as an indisciplined guy a decade ago, As far as the last ODI is considered, they will promote KL Rahul to the opening slot and include Ishan Kishan as the keeper. Shikhar Dhawan may lead the team in Rahul's absence.
KL is designated VC so I don't see how Dhawan can be made Captain for last match. In fact Dhawan has been terrible since last 1 year and his spot should be under scanner now. Just in 2022 his SR is 74 which is abysmal to say the least in white ball game. Gill who has been performing so well whenever given a chance should be his replacement. Also, KL has been great at no.5 in ODI. Shouldn't be tampered with now.

Quote:

Rightly said.
We should support our team in both Good and bad times. Can't be selective fans.

Criticize them when needed but never abandon them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks