Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:30   #15916
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Read somewhere that Pant is out of action for 6 months!
The period of 6 months for a comeback is still a guess. There are a few more things to be considered. Pant's weight was already high compared to other players, and now no physical activity for at least 2 months plus the medications will affect his fitness levels. Then the rehabilitation starts, just pray to god that he does not need surgery. He may not be back to field in 6 months.
Old 3rd January 2023, 21:46   #15917
Distinguished - BHPian

Forget 6 months I think Would be tough to get back this year itself. The physical injury aside, you need mental grooming too after such an incident. He should not be rushed back and let him take time to recover, luckily he has age by his side.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 10:35   #15918
Senior - BHPian

What a close win for the team yesterday. After the 6 in the last over I was sure that the match was over but thankfully team managed to scrape through.

Whew!
Old 4th January 2023, 14:18   #15919
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Its time the selectors junk Chahal from both the white ball formats! Going ahead I hope Bishnoi in T20s & Kuldeep in ODIs are our frontline spinners. Harshal Patel is also not that effective since a while now. His dipping slower ball which was his USP isn't quite there & he really has nothing going for him. Mavi bowled well yesterday, I distinctly remember him bowling around 140kmph some years back. Seems injuries have slowed down his pace.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 14:32   #15920
Distinguished - BHPian

Agree, there is no place for Chahal in this side, especially on typically small Indian grounds. This being peak winter and with the dew that comes with it, the spin option is basically to manage the over rate. It’s a defensive option, with the the odd wicket coming off of a mishit and at the cost of a lot of runs. Easy runs. I’d rather that they play 4 quicks + Pandya in T20s for now.

Spinners will have a much greater role to play once temperatures rise, pitches wear out and the dew factor goes away.

Mavi bowled well, but he has a weird action. His head goes skywards at the time of release. He looks towards the heavens instead of at the batsman or where he wants to pitch the ball. It is unique, and seemingly reliant on muscle memory. Is he good with variations, or is he a line and length bowler?

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 4th January 2023 at 14:39.
Old 4th January 2023, 15:15   #15921
BHPian

Quote:
Mavi bowled well yesterday, I distinctly remember him bowling around 140kmph some years back. Seems injuries have slowed down his pace.
He had several injuries including a stress fracture of the back in 2019. Honestly, I found his bowling very underwhelming, despite the wickets. He was around 131-132kmph. Hardik and Harshal were distinctly faster. It was so exciting to see Umran charge in and bowl rockets.

I expect Mavi to be cannon fodder for better batting sides. As the Pakistanis always say: "Pace is Pace, yaar". We need bowlers who are 140kmph+
Old 5th January 2023, 08:49   #15922
BHPian

Quote:
Its time the selectors junk Chahal from both the white ball formats! Going ahead I hope Bishnoi in T20s & Kuldeep in ODIs are our frontline spinners. Harshal Patel is also not that effective since a while now. His dipping slower ball which was his USP isn't quite there & he really has nothing going for him. Mavi bowled well yesterday, I distinctly remember him bowling around 140kmph some years back. Seems injuries have slowed down his pace.
India's spin bowling in T20s has been a concern for some time. Even in the worldcup, Ashwin and Axar were serious underperformers both on economy rate and wicket taking. Chahal performs once in 10 matches or so - on current form, not sure if he deserves a place in the side. We should look at attacking spinners like Bishnoi, Kuldeep etc
Old 5th January 2023, 11:05   #15923

Sanju Samson is out of the SL series. Terrible luck

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/s...led-up-1352245
Old 5th January 2023, 11:07   #15924
BHPian

Talking of spinners, Sundar has been the most impressive to me in last one year or so. But don’t know why he is never looked as a regular or long term prospect. He can also bowl with the new ball.
Old 6th January 2023, 20:29   #15925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
What a tame end for the NZ-Pak test.

With Pak 7 wickets down, NZ were clearly the favorites. Post declaration, it was heading for a T20ish like finish. Alas bad light played the culprit.
Pak 9 wickets down and 15 runs to get off 3 overs, NZ needed one wicket and bad light played culprit - yet again. Both the tests got interesting in the last hour on the final day - only to end in draws. Excellent show by both the teams.
Old 7th January 2023, 22:03   #15926
Senior - BHPian

Nobody watching the match today? Yeah looks pretty one-sided now with 8 lankan wickets down but kudos to SKY who was the only difference between both sides today. Watching him on song is like a video game.

If you notice the scorecard everyone else was just mediocre (axar & tripathy played some good shots) at best . Gill scored at run a ball but thanks to SKY’s heroics it never pinched. Target seems just too steep.

Edit: Easy peasy win it looks but all credit goes to one man

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th January 2023 at 22:20.
Old 8th January 2023, 13:13   #15927
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Gill scored at run a ball but thanks to SKY’s heroics it never pinched.
Batting at a SR of 100 for 30-40 balls does more damage to the team, luckily it didn't affect the end result! Hope Tripathi or Samson open with Ishan Kishan in next T20 series.
Old 8th January 2023, 19:05   #15928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Batting at a SR of 100 for 30-40 balls does more damage to the team, luckily it didn't affect the end result! Hope Tripathi or Samson open with Ishan Kishan in next T20 series.
Throw in Gaikwad into the mix as well

Ishan needs a confidence boost. Needs a couple of good scores.
Old 9th January 2023, 13:39   #15929
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Throw in Gaikwad into the mix as well
I don't have the stats but Ruturaj Gaikwad has a brilliant record off late in List A cricket which are 50 over games. Not sure why he's selected in T20 setup though. He had a decent IPL some time back.
Old 10th January 2023, 17:40   #15930
BHPian

Virat Kohli breaks his ODI drought now. Scores his 45th ODI century.

But the biggest joke of the day was the double centurion (Ishan Kishan) from last ODI being dropped for the mediocre KL Rahul
ValarMorghulis is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks