Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 10:13   #16201
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
And Rohit goes playing a T20 shot. I wish Gill scores a double and KL retires with it.
Not sure the whole team can score a double, the pitch looks a real turner.

Edit : And now half the team back to hut started with Rohit’s uncharacteristic shot attempt.

Last edited by rx100 : 1st March 2023 at 10:38. Reason: Add more det
rx100 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 11:51   #16202
Senior - BHPian

7 down in 1st session itself. What just happened?

And now the most consistent Indian batsmen for this series are on crease i.e. Axar & Ashwin. Hope we get to atleast 150

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st March 2023 at 12:03.
SoumenD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:14   #16203
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Did the spin assisting pitch at Indore badly backfire on us ? 84/7, this game is a goner! Gill and Kohli together have contributed to 50% of the score so far.
Old 1st March 2023, 12:21   #16204
BHPian

I haven't really enjoyed following this series due to overly spin assisting pitches (strictly my personal opinion). I would any day love to follow a balanced tussle between bat and ball and matches which go beyond 3 days.
civic-dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:32   #16205
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
I would any day love to follow a balanced tussle between bat and ball and matches which go beyond 3 days.
Well, we went through this discussion a couple of pages ago. Apparently, complaining about the pitch is not ok. Not sure if that applies if India loses the match though, that might change the 'conditions'.

Let's see, can't say anything till both teams have batted once.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:18   #16206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Apparently, complaining about the pitch is not ok.
It's precisely the discussions around the pitch that lets players get away with poor performances. KL Rahul is the most obvious example. Yes, the conditions are testing, but shouldn't our batters be up for it? It's our top & middle order who are letting us down in home conditions. Axar Patel batting at No. 8/9 is our highest scorer, when it should have been anyone in the top 5.

Meanwhile, Head was LBW playing back to full delivery and Labuschagne was bowled similarly playing back to a full delivery from Jadeja. But Jaddu overstepped and Marnus got away

Edit: Khwaja survived a close LBW call on yet another full delivery from Jadeja. Looks like they are not picking up Jaddu's flat-tish trajectory. Hope this plays to our advantage.

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 1st March 2023 at 13:25. Reason: Adding Edit
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:26   #16207
BHPian

Only three spinners are required on such wickets rest all batsmen. No need to have a fast bowler in the playing eleven
Old 1st March 2023, 13:38   #16208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
...Apparently, complaining about the pitch is not ok. Not sure if that applies if India loses the match though, that might change the 'conditions'.

Let's see, can't say anything till both teams have batted once.
I think that's a little harsh on the forum members.
The first two pitches weren't bad. India scores 400 in the first and barring a mental breakdown of the Aussies in the second test, the pitch was fine.

Like you said, can't say anything (about the pitch) till both teams have batted once.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:03   #16209
Senior - BHPian

Our current crop of players are only good at playing fast bowlers on spinning pitches. There was no sign of aggression from a single batsmen.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:18   #16210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Our current crop of players are only good at playing fast bowlers on spinning pitches. There was no sign of aggression from a single batsmen.
I think it was too much aggression. The way Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill and Shreyas Iyer got out was not becoming of quality batsmen who honed their skills on spinning tracks. This is the kind of wicket that demands that you grind it out and survive for the first half an hour. They weren’t prepared to do so.

We made the Aussie spin attack look much better than what it is. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. This current crop of players has been found wanting against half decent spin, time and again. Especially when the pitch also assists.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 1st March 2023 at 14:21.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 15:09   #16211
Distinguished - BHPian

Lets reserve the comments on the pitch till Australian innings. Agree its a turner, but not sure that it is absolutely unbattable. Australia isn't doing bad I would say. They are already almost level with loss of just 1 wicket showing how to do it.

On the other hand, KL would be relieved that he isn't playing in this match. A single digit score was almost given. However, team selection committee missed a trick here. Since they have always wanted KL in team, they could have asked him to bowl spin on this track and who knows, he might have gotten some wickets justifying his inclusion in the team.

Last edited by saket77 : 1st March 2023 at 15:11.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 15:28   #16212
BHPian

Our spinners have bowled way too many over-pitched, almost half volley-ish deliveries. Maybe they were anticipating the sweep shot, but the Aussies have done well to keep scoring.

Labuschagne is bowled once again going on the back foot to a full delivery from Jadeja. I'm hoping this wicket opens the floodgate and we don't concede a big lead.
Old 1st March 2023, 17:25   #16213
Senior - BHPian

Australia have shown pitch isn't unplayable. Our batters didn't apply themselves and bowlers bowlers too many full balls.

If we manage to keep lead till 100 and bat decent in 2nd innings this game can still be exciting.
Old 1st March 2023, 18:54   #16214
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
If we manage to keep lead till 100 and bat decent in 2nd innings this game can still be exciting.
I think we need an extraordinary performance (miracle) in the second innings and then need to bowl extremely well to do something like what New Zealand did yesterday against England!

Well, before any of that we first need to get the remaining 6 Aussie first inning wickets without conceding too many runs
Old 1st March 2023, 19:15   #16215
BHPian

I don't know what others think, but I personally felt that Rohit's statement on 'possibility of requesting green top in Ahmedabad' was on the borderline arrogance. They have not even started the 3rd test and they have already assumed that they will win it. This was definitely unwarranted.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks