Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2023, 20:19   #16216
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I don't know what others think, but I personally felt that Rohit's statement on 'possibility of requesting green top in Ahmedabad' was on the borderline arrogance. They have not even started the 3rd test and they have already assumed that they will win it. This was definitely unwarranted.
Why do we have to search for controversies everywhere.

He specifically stated "IF" we win 3rd test then they can request for Ahmedabad test to be pacer friendly keeping WTC final in mind. I don't see any arrogance in that as he was only stating a possible scenario in case series is won here. That's another case it's nearly impossible to create a seaming green top with Ahmedabad soil in 35 degree heat.

Like I mentioned before we can still win this if we keep lead till 100 and then bat much better and give them a target of 130-150. Even if we lose this I Want team to fight like anything rather than playing bad cricket like today.

Last edited by harry10 : 1st March 2023 at 20:20.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 20:37   #16217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Why do we have to search for controversies everywhere.

He specifically stated "IF" we win 3rd test then they can request for Ahmedabad test to be pacer friendly keeping WTC final in mind. I don't see any arrogance in that as he was only stating a possible scenario in case series is won here. That's another case it's nearly impossible to create a seaming green top with Ahmedabad soil in 35 degree heat.

Like I mentioned before we can still win this if we keep lead till 100 and then bat much better and give them a target of 130-150. Even if we lose this I Want team to fight like anything rather than playing bad cricket like today.
No, I am not finding any controversy here. I have never heard such a statement coming from any of the captains before, that's why I thought that it was unwarranted.
I don't mind losing this match, as long as the team fights till the end. I just want IND to qualify for the WTC final and then win the final this time.
Old 1st March 2023, 20:45   #16218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
...WTC final in mind...
Quote:
... IND to qualify for the WTC final and then win the final this time.
Qualifying aside, India winning the WTC final will be a miracle.
Our successes are dependent on the lower order bailing us out time and again, and with the seaming pitches in England, we'll play only one of Ashwin/ Jadeja/ Axar which makes our tail pretty long.

The less said about the batsmen the better.
ValarMorghulis is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 20:47   #16219
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
We made the Aussie spin attack look much better than what it is.
That is usually the case when you dish out such a pitch which makes average spinners look formidable! I really do not know if the pitch curator can be blamed here since the venue was changed barely 12 days ago.

Quote:
This current crop of players has been found wanting against half decent spin, time and again. Especially when the pitch also assists.
That has been the case since a while. Player like Pujara doesn't have a great average in India since 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Lets reserve the comments on the pitch till Australian innings. Agree its a turner, but not sure that it is absolutely unbattable. Australia isn't doing bad I would say.
Indian spinners weren't at their best but then they only had 100 odd runs to defend! Due to the low score one cannot have close-in catchers. Indian batters have to put in a herculean effort in the 2nd innings.
PPS is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 21:26   #16220
BHPian

Meanwhile a few kilometres from Indore in Gwalior, the current crop of Indian batters have scored 381/3 on the first day of the Irani trophy.

Yashasvi Jaiswal made 213, while Abhimanyu Esawaran hit 154 playing for Rest of India against last season's Ranji winners Madhya Pradesh with bowlers like Avesh Khan and Kumar Kartikeya in their ranks.

I have a feeling Pujara will be phased out after this WTC cycle ends. And Eswaran may just be the guy to take over from him

Edit: Jaiswal's selection to the ROI team is interesting. He's not even in the top 50 run getters this Ranji season, but the word on the grapevine is that Rahul Dravid is a firm believer in his ability. Today's performance has definitely repaid that belief.

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 1st March 2023 at 21:34.
Shumi_21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 22:21   #16221
Team-BHP Support

Our spin attack is way better than Australia. A pitch like this just negates this advantage we have. Delhi and Nagpur were ideal home pitches for us, this one not so much. But lets wait and see how Australia bat tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
Edit: Jaiswal's selection to the ROI team is interesting. He's not even in the top 50 run getters this Ranji season, but the word on the grapevine is that Rahul Dravid is a firm believer in his ability. Today's performance has definitely repaid that belief.
It will be fabulius if he can make the cut. He is a leftie and the right age too. Also he played only 4-5 Ranji games this season, IIRC. So not in the top 50 list I am guessing.

Last edited by Eddy : 1st March 2023 at 22:25.
Old 1st March 2023, 23:45   #16222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
It will be fabulius if he can make the cut. He is a leftie and the right age too. Also he played only 4-5 Ranji games this season, IIRC. So not in the top 50 list I am guessing.
Yeah, he played 5 games and scored 350 odd runs at an average of 45, compared to his career average of 81.I think Jaiswal will make it, provided he doesn't get into disciplinary & fitness issues like his Mumbai team mates Sarfaraz & Shaw.
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:42   #16223
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Australia collapsed in a heap from 185/5 to 197 all out, hope we can now do the magic with the bat
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:56   #16224
Senior - BHPian

Somehow if we manage 230-250. I don't see Australia making 140+ in 4th innings. Easier said than done with our useless top order batting.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:38   #16225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Australia collapsed in a heap from 185/5 to 197 all out, hope we can now do the magic with the bat
It took one dogged innings from Khawaja. Take that out and the Aussie batting was the same as India’s. That’s all it takes. Credit to Hanscomb and Labuschagne as well for batting for about 100 balls each.

But now that a 90 run lead has been conceded, someone needs to put their head down and take responsibility. It will be difficult but if anyone can do it, it is Pujara and Co. India needs to score 300 here. Anything less and the opposition will fancy their chances.
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:45   #16226
BHPian

Anyone rooting for KL's return? :-P
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:56   #16227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Anyone rooting for KL's return? :-P
Actually for this kind of pitch, SKY would be an asset. He’ll bat bazzball style.
Old 2nd March 2023, 12:57   #16228
BHPian

I feel that, 'taking the bails off and then appealing for stumping (actual appeal is for caught behind) even when the batsmen feet is well within the crease' is a work around to go for DRS without losing the DRS count. What do you guys think?
kavensri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:07   #16229
BHPian

Quote:
I feel that, 'taking the bails off and then appealing for stumping (actual appeal is for caught behind) even when the batsmen feet is well within the crease' is a work around to go for DRS without losing the DRS count. What do you guys think?
That's a well-known thing amongst the teams now. That's why there are so many stumpings even when batsmen are rooted in their crease.
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:25   #16230
BHPian

Looks like Gill wants to see if he is supported the same way that KL was
We really need calm batsmen who can stay and get runs on loose balls.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks