Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2007, 20:04   #256
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Wait maybe you could explain how Ganguly had a brilliant outing at Toronto against a top notch pakistani team with the ball or has 95 wickets to his credit, Sachin against the Aussies where he claimed his best bowling figures tumbling 5 aussie wickets or has 150 wickets, maybe you can explain the reason why Sehwag was asked to bowl at the death against the one of the top teams in the 48th or 49th over or has 76 wickets, or Yuvi who has 48 wickets. If you notice most part time bowlers do well against good sides, because of the negligence of the opposition batting or getting carried away. You still don't seem to understand the uncertainty in the game.

So what are you hinting at?
Ganguly can seam and swing the ball a lot in favourable conditions and in Toronto he got such conditions. I agree that Tendulkar has a whole bunch of tricks and variations up his sleeve and at times he turned the ball more than our regular spinners. But he wasn't accurate enough. Yuvraj is very slow and loops the ball and that could buy him wickets when the batsmen go after him. But SA must have had a very bad day to be tied down for runs against Yuvi. By the way, does he even bowl for his state team and what are his first-class figures in Ranji/Duleep trophy cricket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
I bet opening bowlers of most teams in the world will be laughing their way to the bank. Specially when you have openers like Sehwag, Sachin and Ganguly instead and Dravid & Dhoni in the middle order.
Let us wait for the one-day and Test matches against England. The Englishmen are a very tough proposition in home territory and let us see if Sachin/Sourav/Sehwag still have it in them to challenge the English attack; the past is irrelevant now. Like, for example, Chanderpaul did in the recent Test series. I remember Kaif got into the 90's in a Test match against England (I think, in India) in a crunch situation and was dropped a game later when one of the regulars came back from injury. That is what I call shabby treatment.
Old 30th June 2007, 20:07   #257
Senior - BHPian

So, India's winning a game or two, and all's well on this thread, eh? Yippee ki yay!
Old 30th June 2007, 20:48   #258
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

He has about 97 wickets to his credit in the domestic level (1st class, list A and twenty20). Hardly ever played for the Ranji teams since his inclusion for the national team. Infact only 69 games in the First Class. He is very intelligent in using the line to his advantage. Next time you seem him bowl notice that every ball he delivers from a different point changing the angle of the delivery, he flights the ball well, and has a good quicker one too. He may not have the turn, but he bowls straight at the wickets & often strays down the leg which is his primary concern.

Besides the point, at times even most part time of bowlers can do well. And he bowled 9 overs not 2 or 3 overs when everyone were trying to hit him out of the park. I suggest we give credit where its due, even if its hard to believe. Such is the beauty of the game (I guess I am sounding like a broken tape now saying the same thing again and again). Cricket is a funny and an uncertain game. Lots of things can happen that you can't have imagined in your wildest of dreams.

I do strongly believe that instead of wasting time in searching for a genuine all rounder for the last decade or so since Kapil's retirement I guess our board should seriously look at training Sehwag, Sachin, Ganguly, Yuvraj to bowl more and have Irfan take up batting seriously. They all have qualities of making a good all rounder. Besides in crunch situations these varities could help a lot. Look at the NZ team.
Old 1st July 2007, 09:39   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Irfan take up batting seriously.
What do you think Greggy uncle was trying to do in the last 12 months of his tenure when he went completely ballistic. Look where Irfan is now. Unfortunately for Greggy uncle and more so for the circus that is BCCI, there is no other genuine swing bowler in the ranks who the mgmt. could remember to not repeat the mistake with.
Old 1st July 2007, 17:10   #260
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Look where Irfan is now.
Currently under training at the MRF Pace Foundation I guess. Along with a few foreign veterans trying to get back his swing which he seems to have lost. He seems to have lost his rhythm. Once he convinces the selectors he is fit and ready to take on the world's best I don't see why he should return to the team. He is one of the most talented medium pacer's our country has produced in a long long time and I would love to see him & Kaif back in the team.
Old 1st July 2007, 22:13   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Currently under training at the MRF Pace Foundation I guess. Along with a few foreign veterans trying to get back his swing which he seems to have lost. He seems to have lost his rhythm. Once he convinces the selectors he is fit and ready to take on the world's best I don't see why he should return to the team. He is one of the most talented medium pacer's our country has produced in a long long time and I would love to see him & Kaif back in the team.
My earlier post was dripping with sarcasm Mcl
Old 1st July 2007, 23:05   #262
Senior - BHPian

Uh-Oh - Another "CRITICAL" failure for Sachin. again its a decider in the series and he misses out. As usual .
Old 1st July 2007, 23:56   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Uh-Oh - Another "CRITICAL" failure for Sachin. again its a decider in the series and he misses out. As usual .
tell me something new.
Now his supporters will say, look at his average ya, does he have to perform all the time ? what about the other 10 players ?? he scored 2 nineties in this series.
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:50   #264
BANNED

Another thriller. Good to see India chasing well. I am beginning to like this nail biting finishes.

Good effort by Ganguly & Agarkar with the ball. Gibbs & Kemp really played well to put up a good score. And finally Dravid, Yuvi & Dhoni finish it off in style.

Good to see that Sachin is still human (rather than the run making machine people expect him to be) inspite of getting to 15,000 runs in this series and two consecutive 90's he was dismissed by a good delivery and an even better catch by Boucher.

Funny part was seeing Dravid's run out. Poor guy, looked like he was more worried getting hit by the throw than grounding his bat .

Other positive outcome from this series apart from Sachin striking form is that Yuvraj is making an effort to stay at the crease. And it was indeed a very nice gesture by Sachin to share the MOTS cup with Yuvraj.

What I have learnt from this series is that no matter how much the game has changed over the years the basic rules are still the same.
1. Catches win matches.
2. Keeping wickets in hand till the end wins matches too.
3. A team must have a good balance between Seniors & Youngsters.
4. Cricket is a funny & unpredictable game.

Its nice to see the team effort and everyone chipping in with something. Hope this continues in the matches against the Pakistani's as well as against England.
Old 2nd July 2007, 02:30   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Catches win matches.
2. Keeping wickets in hand till the end wins matches too.
3. A team must have a good balance between Seniors & Youngsters.
4. Cricket is a funny & unpredictable game.
Yay, it's CLICHE TIME!!!
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:48   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to see that Sachin is still human (rather than the run making machine people expect him to be) inspite of getting to 15,000 runs in this series and two consecutive 90's he was dismissed by a good delivery and an even better catch by Boucher.
I agree with the great catch part - but was that a wicket taking delivery ? I don't think so, even earlier in his innings Sachin played WITHOUT MOVING his feet, got away and he did the same for the delivery on which he got out. He was caught at the crease poking. But yes it indeed was an awesome catch by Boucher.

EDIT - just read, you calling him a Run Machine. I mean a Run Machine after just 2 90's and human after a failure. Protected from all sides eh ?

Last edited by normally_crazy : 2nd July 2007 at 09:49.
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:52   #267
Team-BHP Support

the best part was the umpires decision on the outside edge of the SA batsman de villiers. I mean can an outside edge get any bigger!!!Any more of an outside edge would be the centre of the bat lol!!!

Was aleem dar drunk?

Last edited by Vid6639 : 2nd July 2007 at 10:07.
Old 2nd July 2007, 09:58   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
the best part was the umpires decision on the outside edge of the SA batsman de villiers. I mean can an outside edge get any bigger!!!Any more of an outside edge would be the centre of the bat lol!!!

Was daleem drunk?
i think the decision they made was whether the catch was held long enough.
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:22   #269
BANNED

Quote:
I agree with the great catch part - but was that a wicket taking delivery ? I don't think so, even earlier in his innings Sachin played WITHOUT MOVING his feet, got away and he did the same for the delivery on which he got out. He was caught at the crease poking. But yes it indeed was an awesome catch by Boucher.
Agreed he was found wanting at the crease. That could happen to anyone. Name one great player who hasn't made a similar mistake of not getting to the pitch of the ball.

Quote:
EDIT - just read, you calling him a Run Machine. I mean a Run Machine after just 2 90's and human after a failure. Protected from all sides eh ?
Nah, I meant with reference to his past. At 15,000 odd runs to his tally I wonder how many can/could match it. Run making machine he sure is. Except Don Bradman I am sure every batsmen wishes he could amass those kind of runs. Which is a remarkable achievement.

Besides, I ain't no Sachin fan. I love Dravid's play better for the solidarity and technique. Then Saurav when he is at his best lofting the spinners for 6's or those booming offdrives. But it sure is a pity to see so many of you taking a dig not understanding the game to its finer points. Just treat it like a game will ya? Which has its ups and downs (the way you people make it sound, Zidane given the pay cheque he gets & the talent he has he MUST score every match he sets foot on, but that doesn't happen you see). Your hatred towards Sachin isn't going to materialize in getting him dropped or force him to retire. He is there to stay until he/the management deems him fit enough to play.

PS: Sachin is a very intelligent cricketer, and the last thing he will want isto retire on a bad note. I somehow a feeling there is something special yet to come before he takes a final raise of the bat.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 2nd July 2007 at 10:25.
Old 2nd July 2007, 10:39   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What about the 2nd Match? Is that too not a series decider?

Most Viewed