Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2008, 00:15   #3151
BHPian

there is now no doubt...rahul dravid is the most gutless person in indian cricket. he is so hellbent on keeping his place in the side, he doesnt mind coming in to bat after 10-20 *****...just as long as someone else does the opening. i wonder what the difference is? he should have volunteered to open. the onus was on him...not on pathan. pathan did what he was ordered to do.

this is one great reason why the old gueard must slowly be eased out. they want to keep their places in the team and throw their weight around for the same.
Old 28th January 2008, 00:19   #3152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Your favorite commentary team are the one that create all the politics wherever India travel. Dump those 2 creatures & Indian cricket can be saved.
dear friend, an extremely ill-informed and naive comment!
how in the good lords name do these souls create 'ALL' the politics in the indian cricket team? do the cricketers spend all their time listening to these commentators?
Old 28th January 2008, 00:28   #3153
Senior - BHPian

Asking Pathan to open in the 2nd innings too was a BIG mistake, specially after he had failed in the 1st innings and bowled when the Aussie innings was coming to an end.

The team management has to decide whether they value Pathan more as a batsman or a bowler !
Old 28th January 2008, 00:39   #3154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
There were press reports in all the leading newspapers at that time that Pathan was being ignored by Zaheer Khan and Agarkar. But of course there is no proof.
Mind sharing which leading newspaper ? The TOI's rumor mongering journalist's report or something? Aren't you also now just spreading rumors ?
Old 28th January 2008, 07:34   #3155
rks
BANNED

This website discusses a *reported* incident between Zaheer Khan and Agarkar on one side and Sreesanth on the other:

Row between coach and seniors looms large - Indian Cricket Fans

Quote:
Yet, one story gets repeated, by several unrelated quarters -- and my best guess, since I know the people from whom this came, is there is a big chunk of truth in it.

It was before the game in Bermuda. The Indians were in the nets, and Sourav Ganguly was batting. He asked the bowlers -- Zaheer, Agarkar and Sreesanth -- to pitch the ball up and cut out the bouncers (whether it is because he doesn't like being bounced, or he wanted to practice his driving, depends on who was telling the story -- I heard both, and am inclined to leave the 'why' alone).

At some point, as Sree was walking back to the top of his mark, Zaheer and Agarkar asked him to bounce.

Sree ran in and bowled the full length; on his follow through, he went up to the batsman and asked if he wanted him to bowl bouncers. No, Ganguly told him with some, um, vehemence.

Sorry, said Sree, I asked because they told me you wanted me to.

Ganguly then chewed out the other two bowlers who, pissed that Sree had fingered them, later gave him a substantial -- and on this family forum, unmentionable -- earful.

If it had ended there, it would have been one of those things. But next day, when the Indians played Bermuda, Sree was deputed to the boundary line at one end, to provide drinks and towels to the bowler at the end of each over. At the end of the first over, Zaheer wandered over to the third man boundary, Sree greeted him with drinks, and Zaheer pushed him away with a 'F*&# off, I don't need anything from you you *&#*)@(...'

A shocked and upset Sreesanth retreated to the dressing room and, for a while, was inconsolable.
It was during this time that there were reports of Ganguly's camp regrouping and moving within its own circle, giving the cold shoulder to the youngsters, etc. I don't have the precise details, but I am sure these can be dug out with a thorough Google search.
Old 28th January 2008, 07:46   #3156
BANNED

Sehwag century !
- 100 off 122 with 11 fours & 2 sixes
- 2nd innings century !!
- fastest 100 of the series
- scores almost 80% of India's runs
- ensures India don't lose (without runs India's seniors would have boged down & given the match to Australia - like England did in 2006)

Last edited by diabloo : 28th January 2008 at 08:00.
Old 28th January 2008, 08:38   #3157
BANNED

India 142/2 at Lunch. They should add 100 more, declare 20 minutes before tea and give Australia a target of 200~220 in 40 overs. Lets hope our bowlers crumble the Aussies in those 40 overs and square the series 2-2.

Last edited by diabloo : 28th January 2008 at 08:43.
Old 28th January 2008, 08:55   #3158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
India 142/2 at Lunch. They should add 100 more, declare 20 minutes before tea and give Australia a target of 200~220 in 40 overs. Lets hope our bowlers crumble the Aussies in those 40 overs and square the series 2-2.
i share the same enthusiasm, but don't you think you are going a little overboard ? i am yet to see an Indian captain try something outrageous as give aussies a run chase at 5 rpo on a flat aussie wicket.
Old 28th January 2008, 10:15   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the wheels are coming apart. Only Sehwag stands firm with Dhoni for company.

Dravid will bat if necessary.
Old 28th January 2008, 10:20   #3160
BHPian

Playing for a draw had always been India's week-ness. And this only magnifies the importance of Sehwag's innings. He not scored a priceless century, but scored it fast and didn't let Aussies set attacking fields.

India are 157 runs ahead at the moment, with 47 overs remaining in the day. To save this text they need to bat at least 25 more overs and score 60 more runs. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

P.S. What are your thoughts about this series. Except the Melbourne one, remaining three tests had provided exemplary contest between the two teams. And even though we lost the Sydney test, it was a treat to watch.

And even the last day of this series is providing a contest to savour; that's why probably it's called a test, since it tests the skills of a cricketer.

I don't want any ODIs or 20-20s; prolong this series by another test :-))

\N

Last edited by ntomer : 28th January 2008 at 10:40.
Old 28th January 2008, 11:18   #3161
BANNED

I agree. But for Sehwag, the series would have ended 3-1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Playing for a draw had always been India's week-ness. And this only magnifies the importance of Sehwag's innings. He not scored a priceless century, but scored it fast and didn't let Aussies set attacking fields.
Old 28th January 2008, 11:47   #3162
BANNED

Sehwag gets his 150
His last 9 hundreds have been over 150 !!
However got the brilliant idea of dropping him from the Test team

V Sehwag 150 of 229 with 11 fours & 2 sixes with SR 65.50
Career: Matches:54 Runs:4440 Average:51.03

Captains play safe. I think its time to declare and have a go at the Aussies.
You have a chance of making it 2-2, and in case if you fail, does it matter whether you lose by 2-1 or 3-1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
i am yet to see an Indian captain try something outrageous as give aussies a run chase at 5 rpo on a flat aussie wicket.
Old 28th January 2008, 11:48   #3163
BHPian

Any one thinks India will declare at some point? It seems like this will go down as a tame draw. If we can take 2-1, why not take the risk for 3-1 and declare now? Though Aussies have to score 215 in 30 overs at over 7 runs per over?
Old 28th January 2008, 11:52   #3164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmbabu View Post
Any one thinks India will declare at some point? It seems like this will go down as a tame draw. If we can take 2-1, why not take the risk for 3-1 and declare now? Though Aussies have to score 215 in 30 overs at over 7 runs per over?
In the first innings it took us 181 overs to get Aussies out; what makes you think we will get them out in 30 overs in second. 217 in thirty overs will be almost a cake-walk for them. IMHO, we must bat on and on, till we can :-)

\N
Old 28th January 2008, 11:59   #3165
Senior - BHPian

Interesting part of this series was that Ponting caught up with Gavaskar and Hayden with the Don.

Wanna take bets on which of these two will catch up with Sachin Tendulkar first?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks