Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2007, 23:19   #391
Senior - BHPian

My money is on Laxman. He looks good for a beautiful 100.
Old 9th August 2007, 23:30   #392
Senior - BHPian

I think we lost it in the last session. too defensive. 105 runs in 34 overs in the last session and that too because of those last 4 boundaries else it is 89 runs in 34 overs. And at the risk of sounding like a stuck record - Sachin dissapointed majorly though a couple of strokes reeked class and he also got a life.

If Aussies came out in the last session at 211-3 , they would have ended with 370 + definitely.
Old 10th August 2007, 00:45   #393
BANNED

Hi Mckey, nothing wrong in a oldie being slow man. Chill. Sachin can be a playing coach of Indian team. He can also be their financial advisor. Its time BCCI invite him .

NCrazy, Auzzie would have scored because
1) They won't look for that elusive 100
2) They don't think its their last test
3) They won't receive the greatest delivery of the match (only the greatest batsman receives the greatest deliveries)
Old 10th August 2007, 08:50   #394
Senior - BHPian

I think it is time the umpires also were made to account for their mistakes. This is getting too ridiculous.
Old 10th August 2007, 09:02   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I think it is time the umpires also were made to account for their mistakes. This is getting too ridiculous.
Why not use technolgy when its available ? They could ask the 3rd umpires if the delivery had nicked the bat in Saurav's case. And the sad part is - majorly all bad decisions happen against Asian teams.
Old 10th August 2007, 09:08   #396
Senior - BHPian

Even if they do not want to refer to the 3rd umpire, what is stopping the 3rd umpire from informing his mate on the field about the obvious inside edge ? It is plain stupid. Everyone knows he is not out & everyone knows who made the blunder & nothing's gonna happen for that.
Old 10th August 2007, 09:19   #397
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
If Aussies came out in the last session at 211-3 , they would have ended with 370 + definitely.
Fact is, the Aussie domination seems to have changed the way people look at the games now. Before this, run rates of over 4 in test matches were hardly heard off. Now its a compulsion. Though each team has its own merits and de-merits I think every team should play to its strengths than trying to play like another team.

Bad decisions have always been a part and parcel of the game. When there was lack of technology people kept yelling the need for it. Then when they introduced it people kept saying "the game is becoming completely devoid of human decisions and thats not how it should be". So they discarded the LBW decisions being referred to the 3rd umpire. Also, on field umpires are being encouraged by the ICC to take up more decisions by themselves than refer it to the tv camera. Except for run outs, where it is tough to judge the closeness of the call.

Though, Asians might have borne the brunt of some harsh decisions, most harsh decisions mooted out to the Asians is on the basis of sledging. Look at all the Aussies, SA's, Englishmen getting away with it while Indian's, Pak's, SL's get penalized. That is a shame indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
what is stopping the 3rd umpire from informing his mate on the field about the obvious inside edge ?
Unfortunately John, that is not the way it works it seems. I am not so sure but there is some rule saying that the 3rd umpire cannot intervene unless and until asked for by the on field umpires or such. I may be wrong. Also I have seen the 3rd umpire intervene in the decisions made by the on field umpires just twice. Though I cannot remember the second instance, the first time I got to watch is was during a friendship match that was played at the Wankhede. Sunil Gavaskar representing India Seniors got a bad decision and was declared out edging the ball. Replay showed no edge, Ravi Shastri the then commentator for the match leaned overt he commentary box window and asked Sunny to go back (before he left the playing field, remembers once you cross the ropes you cannot come back to bat). Needless to say the 3rd umpire stepped in and declared Sunny Not Out.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 10th August 2007 at 09:26.
Old 10th August 2007, 10:29   #398
Senior - BHPian

Fine knock by Karthik again, he's developing into a very consistent player.
I guess 2nd day would belong to Very Very Special Laxman, its been a long time since he scored an classy 100.
Old 10th August 2007, 12:29   #399
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Even if they do not want to refer to the 3rd umpire, what is stopping the 3rd umpire from informing his mate on the field about the obvious inside edge ? It is plain stupid. Everyone knows he is not out & everyone knows who made the blunder & nothing's gonna happen for that.
I agree that technology should be used and third umpire should be consulted for all decisions where action replay is decisive. But if you ask the batsmen, they would oppose the move. The reason being that the "benefit of the doubt" is given to batsmen in case of LBW and caught-behind decisions. Once the third umpire is called in and tools like snick-o-meter and Hawk-Eye are used to make decisions, there is no longer any doubt and bowlers will benefit more than the batsmen. In the past many run-outs from direct hits were not given due to the doubt factor. Now most of these close run-out decisions are going against bastsmen.

I doubt if Laxman will play aggressively today. He knows that his head is on the block and the past record indicates that he will be defensive, as will Sachin. Dhoni on the other hand knows only one way to play, and he also is under pressure because of the consistent performances by Karthik. Dhoni knows that if he does not deliver with the bat, he could be dumped from the Test team and Yuvraj brought in, with Karthik donning the gloves. So the competition will make him hungry for runs, which is good for India.

India will be looking to bat England out of the match and get something like 500+. England will still be in the hunt if they can bowl India out under 450. They would have to bat very aggressively and put India under pressure in the final two days. Going to be an interesting contest.

Last edited by rks : 10th August 2007 at 12:35.
Old 10th August 2007, 13:13   #400
Senior - BHPian

Indians had a great day 1. Probably they have ensured they won't lose this test. Guess they have won a series in England against England after a long time (last time it happened was in 1986).
Old 10th August 2007, 16:59   #401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I doubt if Laxman will play aggressively today. He knows that his head is on the block and the past record indicates that he will be defensive, as will Sachin.
Laxman took the other way. Scored a brillian half century (expect the dropped catch by prior). Your second prediction is RIGHT.
Old 10th August 2007, 18:10   #402
rks
BANNED

I was indeed wrong about Laxman. He played a few good shots mixed with streaky ones including a chance. Still, both Laxman and Tendulkar played more aggressively than I expected. I guess the fast bouncy track suits Laxman's style of play.

Dhoni is off to a good start and hope he cuts loose after lunch. Looks like the English bowling is too weak without Harmison, Flintoff and Hoggard. The first two would have been a handful on this pitch and would not have served up juicy half-volleys or long hops for the Indians to smack.
Old 10th August 2007, 19:38   #403
Senior - BHPian

Dhoni sealed the fate of the England. Scored a quick fire 92 runs @ SR of 113.58. Going on 525+ with 3 wickets in hand.

Hmmmm............ none of the indians scored a century (good ... collective performance)

Karthik (255 runs) leads the runs tally followed by Sachin (227 runs)
Old 10th August 2007, 21:07   #404
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Hmmmm............ none of the indians scored a century (good ... collective performance)

)
Don't be too sure yet ... for all you know , Kumble might be the 1st Indian to hit one on this tour !!! I'm sure even if we try .... we can't lose from this point --- OR THEN , CAN WE

Cheers
Old 10th August 2007, 21:31   #405
BANNED

LUV the way Sreesanth is having a BALL out there --- seems to have hammered Andersons career !!!

Kumble ... Cumon , just 9 more -- 1 x 4 + 1 x 6 = CENTURY !!!

PS -- 4 runs short -- One more boundary needed , the old man is havinga balst !!!

PSS -- Hes done it ........ that too with a 4 !!! Now its time for him to show that he can even clear the ropes ... lets have him hammer a few BIGGIES .

Last edited by khaadu75 : 10th August 2007 at 21:39.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks