Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 13:08   #6841
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
Same as what sachin and virat did in the previous name. Why dont you call them selfish then? In my previous posts I was saying the same, but it was against sachin so that time sachin fans like you told that they were stabilizing the innings and needed to score slowly till 45th over Must admit that india scored atleast 40 runs less in the previous match.

If india would have scored runs quickly in the match against BD and scored atleast 320+ then Indian would surely be on top of points table today.
ROFL. My dear anti-Sachin friend, you have totally missed the sarcasm in that post.
Old 19th March 2012, 13:59   #6842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
Same as what sachin and virat did in the previous name. Why dont you call them selfish then? In my previous posts I was saying the same, but it was against sachin so that time sachin fans like you told that they were stabilizing the innings and needed to score slowly till 45th over Must admit that india scored atleast 40 runs less in the previous match.

If india would have scored runs quickly in the match against BD and scored atleast 320+ then Indian would surely be on top of points table today.
Please show me a post where I've said India should've batted slowly till 45th over of the innings. All I've said is that I don't think Sachin or Virat would've batted the way they did "if it was the 45th over" or "if we were chasing 320-odd". And I think they just proved me right yesterday.

When a team batting first loses, it's very easy to say that X or Y should have scored more quickly or they should've got more runs on the board. That's the benefit of hindsight. So each time a side batting first loses, it's easy to pick and choose a few players or a few incidents in their innings and make comments to suit anyone's own agenda - like I just did.

It's debatable whether an extra few runs would've won India the match the other day. It's also possible that BD would still have won by pacing their innings a little differently. Good thing is that now the batsmen know that 289 is not be defendable against BD on this pitch with this bowling attack and score a few more next time.

You also make it sound like a certainty that India would've scored 30 or 40 extra runs if we had starting attacking earlier. It's also just as likely that we would've lost 2-3 wickets quickly by attacking too early and may have ended up getting even less than 289. And then we would be blaming the batsmen for attacking too early - again with the benefit of hindsight.

I think teams batting first often have a plan of how many to score in each match. India scored barely 15 runs more against SL (304, IIRC) in the same tournament and won easily by 50 runs. Would the same score have helped us against BD, which is more often than not seen as an inferior team to SL? Maybe we wrongly targeted around 290 against BD because we thought we could win. Pakistan captain said they thought they could defend 320-330 against India with their bowling attack.

Quote:
"I think 329 is not a bad total. When you try to score 350-370, even making 329 is difficult," Misbah said. "With our bowling, 325-330 was our target. I think it was a good total but the way they played, we didn't have any answers."
But, when you bowl poorly in good batting conditions combined with an opposition batsman batting really well (like Kohli did against Pak and SL earlier or Shakid did against us the other day), no score may be defendable. SL couldn't defend 320 in 40 overs (let alone 50) in the CB series. Australia couldn't defend 434 against SA.
Old 19th March 2012, 15:06   #6843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
But, when you bowl poorly in good batting conditions combined with an opposition batsman batting really well (like Kohli did against Pak and SL earlier or Shakid did against us the other day), no score may be defendable. SL couldn't defend 320 in 40 overs (let alone 50) in the CB series. Australia couldn't defend 434 against SA.
Couldn't agree more. I used to wonder while going through the record of highest chases, the majority of the teams ended-up loosing were the ones with the strongest bowling attacks at that time. Pak, SA or Aus.
While Pak batsmen were making merry, I was still reasonably confident of India's win as if you see the history, most of the times the team batting first and where there are two centuries are scored, ended up loosing, especially against India.
Old 20th March 2012, 11:47   #6844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

When a team is on a mission, and there is a batsman in prime form, closing in on his peak and is in his zone, few things can prevent them from going on and achieving the target. India has been patchy off late, but there is determination, and this sudden drive and energy comes out only when we have our backs up against the wall.

We are a very capable batting unit, which needs some sting in the bowling. Even our fielding has been exceptional.

Kohli needs to calm down a bit. With a cool head, he can be a brilliant batsman and a great captain (in the future) it's probably too early to label him as the future captain. The pressure might just get to him and he could lose his form.

Dhoni is perfect for the role. He has a great view of his field while squatting behind the stumps. He comes in at no. 6 and can change the course of the game if he needs to, or steer India home. He can adapt very well. He just needs to get his formula right again. Maybe have a re-look at his fielding strategies. Otherwise, I'd say he's just right for the job.

Kohli could provide him with support as stand-in captain and vice-captain till the next World Cup. He can lean the tricks-of-the-trade from Dhoni and gain much needed experience in leading the side. And when the time is right, Dhoni can let Kohli take over. I'd say, the right time would be 4 years from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
True about Kohli. Just hope that he gets his anger under control. I call him Irate Kohli just because of his on field antics.

And about Sachin. Yes it was a valuable knock. If only he had played like this in all previous matches, keeping the team's goal in mind...
Agreed. Lets leave the past behind for now. We have something to look forward to. If Sachin plays like the way he used to, and Kohli hitting a purple-patch, Rohit/Raina regaining form, all we need is some shock-inducing bowling and we're capable of being on of the most lethal teams in the ODI format.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th March 2012 at 11:50.
Old 20th March 2012, 22:26   #6845
Senior - BHPian

People say that India looses a game when Sachin Tendulkar scores a century and I say that India gets out of the tournament when Virat Kohli Scores a century.

Good performance by Bangladesh, well deserved win. Bad luck for India, effort of Kohli wasted!
Old 20th March 2012, 22:43   #6846
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
People say that India looses a game when Sachin Tendulkar scores a century and I say that India gets out of the tournament when Virat Kohli Scores a century.

Good performance by Bangladesh, well deserved win. Bad luck for India, effort of Kohli wasted!
Virat's case is much more dangerous then
Jokes apart, Its sad to see that his efforts went in vain two times in two consecutive tourneys.

The celebrations today after the win was as though they have won the world cup.
It shows how it feels when an emerging team does something special for the first time.
Bangladesh deserved this thoroughly.

Found the below humor on Facebook.
The Cricket Thread-420263_3210855884378_1655690847_2663988_393406133_n.jpg
Old 20th March 2012, 23:19   #6847
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Our World Champion team failed to make it to 2 consecutive finals, certainly a worrying sign!
And i guess Virat scoring a century is not so lucky , especially when it comes to making finals.
Another unexpected well deserved break for our team before they converge to see Katy Perry at the IPL 5 opening ceremony.
Old 20th March 2012, 23:47   #6848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Another unexpected well deserved break for our team before they converge to see Katy Perry at the IPL 5 opening ceremony.
Before that they head to South Africa to play just one T20 game . BCCI doesn't miss any opportunity.
Old 21st March 2012, 00:04   #6849
BHPian

When you are the world beating team, you shouldnot have to depend on other team's performance as your fate
Old 21st March 2012, 00:25   #6850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Our World Champion team failed to make it to 2 consecutive finals, certainly a worrying sign!
And i guess Virat scoring a century is not so lucky , especially when it comes to making finals.
Especially in our own backyard , where the ball doesnt rise above shoe laces , bunch of overpaid guys
Old 21st March 2012, 17:53   #6851
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Before that they head to South Africa to play just one T20 game . BCCI doesn't miss any opportunity.
Oh, wow i didn't know that! Ideal opportunity i guess for Virat to debut as captain. N Srinivasan would want Dhoni to be 100% fit for the Chennai Superkings.
Old 22nd March 2012, 11:03   #6852
BHPian

Looks like Sri Lanka have decided to make sure that we dont make it to any final that they are involved in...must be a hangover of the WC last year..
Old 22nd March 2012, 12:01   #6853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Looks like Sri Lanka have decided to make sure that we dont make it to any final that they are involved in...must be a hangover of the WC last year..
No Kohli is the reason

he played well in CB series and India did not reach the final
he played well in Asia cup and India did not reach the final
Old 22nd March 2012, 16:14   #6854
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
No Kohli is the reason

he played well in CB series and India did not reach the final
he played well in Asia cup and India did not reach the final
Kohli should retire and find something else to do with his after-the-hundred profanities spitting, maybe become a DJ.
Old 23rd March 2012, 05:21   #6855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Kohli should retire and find something else to do with his after-the-hundred profanities spitting, maybe become a DJ.
. Yeah. His celebration after hitting the ton during Adeliade test was classic. He forgot where the ball was costing us a run.

He will slowly get there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks