Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2012, 11:58   #6961
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The reason why I rate the Eden Test against Aus so very high is because it was only the 3rd time a team ever won after being forced to follow on, ever! And there were only 3 teams that ever featured in these matches (Australia, England and now India.)

Winning after following on is stuff that dreams and miracles are made of. And only Laxman could have done it for us.

I agree. Thats why I mentioned this

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
No doubt that was a great innings, probably the greatest by an Indian, but in my views that fighting 167 on a losing cause against Australia in Australia was by no means smaller.

Now the reason why I rate his first century equally good is because, it was in Australia when the other famed members of Indian team including the overseas expert (and my favourite batsman) Rahul Dravid failed miserably in the match. He scored 167 in under 200 balls if I m not wrong, and if my memory serves me right, the selectors had already selected the team for next series and laxman was not in.

People might argue that he did nt have anything to lose, but despite that fact, I believe it takes great strength of character to come from behind and do that sort of thing he did on that day when the chips are down.
I know in the hindsight I ll always sound clever but I cant help but mention that if we had a similar partnership like the one we had in Edens, you never know.

But that does nt take anything from the magic he produced in Eden Gardens, which certainly was the best innings any one can produce. No doubt.

My only aim was to point out another gem which was quite a feat in itself but is often forgotten in the shadow of his greatest Gem.

Or may be I should have used the word 'small' instead of 'smaller'(quoted in bold from my post).
Old 20th August 2012, 12:08   #6962
Team-BHP Support

8 down and 11 runs still reqd !
Old 20th August 2012, 12:11   #6963
Senior - BHPian

Just 1 wicket remaining now !
Old 20th August 2012, 12:24   #6964
Team-BHP Support

Only India can make scoring 9 runs seem like the hardest thing to do, even with 30 balls and 1 wicket at their disposal.
Old 20th August 2012, 12:38   #6965
BHPian

India has won the match. An awesome nail biting finish which deserves a big round of applause. The match itself wouldn't have been exciting if it was against Australia, NZ, srilanka, England or south Africa. Pakistan need to wait till the next era to win against India @ the world cup. haha
Old 20th August 2012, 14:51   #6966
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
VVS Laxman has announced his retirement from international cricket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Wanted to see him bat one last time. But anyways, good luck to him for his future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I think we will not see such an elegant batsman again in Cricket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
All the Best VVS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Laxman lived up to his much deserved 'Very Very Special' branding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Thanks a ton VVS for entertaining us and treating us to the brilliant mastery of your flowy wrists over the years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Who was the 'expert' commentator and who was the 'promising' youngster who could replace VVS?
Came across a lovely tribute to VVS here. I liked it, hope you all do too!

VVS: a cricketer « cricket with balls

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 20th August 2012, 14:59   #6967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rumours floating around suggest VVS was upset by comments by 'experts' saying he is blocking the career of a promising youngster.
How ironic then, that a "young" test discard Badrinath has been named as VVS's replacement in the squad. Even with all the flak he has got, I believe Rohit Sharma would've been a better choice if the selectors were indeed looking for young blood. I hope India plays Kohli and Pujara in the two spots that have opened up in the middle order.
Old 21st August 2012, 04:14   #6968
BHPian

Quote:
Rumours floating around suggest VVS was upset by comments by 'experts' saying he is blocking the career of a promising youngster. No names are being used. But anyone here knows the inside story? Who was the 'expert' commentator and who was the 'promising' youngster who could replace VVS?
is it Sanjay Manjrekar ??? , personally cant stand him or his comments
Old 21st August 2012, 12:35   #6969
BHPian

Quote:
How ironic then, that a "young" test discard Badrinath has been named as VVS's replacement in the squad. Even with all the flak he has got, I believe Rohit Sharma would've been a better choice if the selectors were indeed looking for young blood. I hope India plays Kohli and Pujara in the two spots that have opened up in the middle order.
"Young" Badri is just completing 32 Yrs of age on 30 Aug..

Selecting him clearly shows Kris and Srinivasan’s regional bias than keeping Cricket India in the mind

Last edited by Ananthang : 21st August 2012 at 12:45. Reason: removed mistakenly typed two full stops
Old 21st August 2012, 12:54   #6970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananthang View Post
Selecting him clearly shows Kris and Srinivasan’s regional bias than keeping Cricket India in the mind
The logic is same, favouritsm. Why would one select a totally out of form Yuvraj Singh for the twenty 20 world cup.

Also VVS's claims of not being able to reach Dhoni before his retirement announcement is a clear indication that his own team mates dont stand for him.
Old 21st August 2012, 18:55   #6971
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Wasn't Kohli already in the test eleven? I remember him scoring a century in Australia.

We have two more spots to fill. I'd prefer Pujara and Rahane.

So the line up should look something like this: Sehwag, Gambhir, Kohli, Tendulkar, Pujara, Rahane, Dhoni, Ashwin, Zaheer, Ojha, Umesh.
Old 21st August 2012, 20:00   #6972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Wasn't Kohli already in the test eleven? I remember him scoring a century in Australia.

We have two more spots to fill. I'd prefer Pujara and Rahane.
That's right. I forgot Kohli was already part of the playing eleven in Australia.

I'm not sure if Rahane has played in the middle order - I have always known him to open the innings. Maybe Sehwag can shift down the order and Rahane can be tried as an opener. That may be better from a long-term perspective. If not, I think Suresh Raina might take the spot in the middle-order ahead of Rahane.
Old 21st August 2012, 20:18   #6973
BHPian

Quote:
ohh please, rohit "zero" sharma. Badri is any day better choice than Rohit. This guy has already been given a long rope and it is high time such non performers are shown the door. If someone cant play in Srilankan conditions, then he deserves to be axed. Rohit Sharma should stop acting on the cricket field and should start acting in adds and soaps.
Old 21st August 2012, 21:34   #6974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
ohh please, rohit "zero" sharma. Badri is any day better choice than Rohit.
I have no particular liking for Rohit. But, Badri is 32 and Rohit is 25. So if the selectors are looking for youngsters, I think it would be better to opt for Rohit than Badri. Or some other talented youngster, if not Rohit - even if it is just to give him the experience of training and sharing the dressing room with the senior players.

India may get 2 or 3 good years out of Badri (if he manages to become a permanent member of the side). I don't see any logic in getting him in the side, when there's a chance to build a team for next 5 or 10 years.

I don't also see anything in Badri's international record to suggest he's better than Rohit.

Quote:
Badri hasnt been given enough opportunities.
No, Badri wasn't good enough to make the team. He is unlucky to have been playing at the same time as some of India's best ever players.

Quote:
If you remember, VVS's very very special knocks only came very late in his career. Let us wait and watch.
Are you sure? VVS's 167 at Sydney came in 2000 - 12 years back. He would've been 25 at the time. And his 281 came just a year later.

Last edited by StarrySky : 21st August 2012 at 22:02.
Old 21st August 2012, 21:48   #6975
BHPian

Quote:
I have no particular liking for Rohit. But, Badri is 32 and Rohit is 25. So if the selectors are looking for youngsters, I think it would be better to opt for Rohit than Badri. Or some other talented youngster, if not Rohit - even if it is just to give him the experience of training and sharing the dressing room with the senior players.

India may get 2 or 3 good years out of Badri (if he manages to become a permanent member of the side). I don't see any logic in getting him in the side, when there's a chance to build a team for next 5 or 10 years.

I don't also see anything in Badri's international record to suggest he's better than Rohit.
Hypothetical - If I were a selector - i would like to give equal opportunity to everyone. Rohit - yes a youngster (though over hyped) has been given enough chances and has already come to the end of his road. Training & sharing dressing rooms were all done in IPL and recent one day matches. At this level, we cant pay millions of $ for someone who is in training for eternity. Deliver and get out (of course this is what I tell my team).

Badri hasnt been given enough opportunities. He is consistent and reliable. If you remember, VVS's very very special knocks only came very late in his career. Let us wait and watch.

Most Viewed