Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 11:58   #7261
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Give a monkey a typewriter and plenty of time, it will type out the Shakespeare one day.
Give Rohit Sharma and Ravibdra Jadeja 20 years and 200 tests still they cant be 10% of Sachin T. LOL
Old 6th December 2012, 15:25   #7262
BHPian

The way this series is going, one thing has become certain. Ashwin the bowler is not what he is made out to be. Harbhajjan in his early years was way ahead of what Ashwin is today. I am by no means a Bhajji fan, but after looking at the way Ashwin has gone about in this series, i think its about time the selectors unearth a quality test match off spinner soon.
Old 6th December 2012, 18:37   #7263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
So where are all the Sachin bashers now?

Or do they come out only when he is not scoring

A very good read - http://www.cricketcountry.com/cricke...ns-rsquo/20596
Lets wait for the next 5 innings or so and see his consistency. Still I believe it is time for Sachin to make a graceful exit. Definitely there are other bunch of players who need to be out of the team, its a totally different story.
Old 6th December 2012, 18:43   #7264
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin
So where are all the Sachin bashers now?

Or do they come out only when he is not scoring

A very good read - http://www.cricketcountry.com/cricke...ns-rsquo/20596
Hey!
Like someone said, given the sheer number of matches played these days across the different formats, practically anyone in the team has an opportunity to rack up some scores!
Sachin is good and Sachin is great and he is the hero of many people here and in India in general.
However, Sachin is also quite greedy for endorsements and generally unable to let go just like our Politicians. I will state here that he is not infallible and nor is he God. He should certainly retire gracefully while the going is good.
Old 6th December 2012, 20:09   #7265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydofcochin View Post
So where are all the Sachin bashers now
Actually it other way. Sachin anti-bashers are out, quote from one of them:
Quote:
the team needs Sachin... There's no replacement... There's none to take his place... Take out his 76 and where would the team have been today (Wednesday)?
'Nobody good enough even to tie Sachin shoelaces' - Ravi Shastri
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Give Rohit Sharma and Ravibdra Jadeja 20 years and 200 tests still they cant be 10% of Sachin T. LOL
While Sachin's highest 1st class score is 248, both Rohit Sharma & Ravindra Jadeja have triple hundreds and Jadeja 3 of them ! True, like Sachin they may not have 2 shots for every ball, but when they get in, they make them count, at least in first class
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Those are valuable 76 runs nonetheless but still, he will need to score at this rate in the next few innings at least.
A general criticism of Sachin is he has not carried on when team is in adverse conditions. He was set and must added another 75 runs to the team total. But he got out.

Last edited by msdivy : 6th December 2012 at 20:13.
Old 6th December 2012, 20:33   #7266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

While Sachin's highest 1st class score is 248, both Rohit Sharma & Ravindra Jadeja have triple hundreds and Jadeja 3 of them ! True, like Sachin they may not have 2 shots for every ball, but when they get in, they make them count, at least in first class
Actually thats more of an indictment on our grossly inept bowlers at the first class level rather than any glowing referendum on the quality of batting of these two fine gentlemen (wont call them cricketers really).

Isint Jadeja tried and tested and dusted and rusticated already? Less said about Rohit Sharma the better.

Last edited by joslicx : 6th December 2012 at 20:36.
Old 6th December 2012, 20:42   #7267
Team-BHP Support

Why are we comparing anyone to Sachin ? It is unlikely that there will be player of his caliber in the team soon.

However, life has to go on...
Old 6th December 2012, 23:54   #7268
BHPian

Joslickx
Hi
I didnt say Ranatunga was a great player.Far from it.
The point I was making that he made SL the champions.The great players that you mentioned all bloomed under him and made the team a force to reckon with.Maybe it was his leadership skills,maybe he was at the right place at the right time or whatever the reason SL came out on top.
Incidentally he is the only player who played a country's first and 100th test.
Regarding Kallis I believe he is a great player and you have a different opinion.So let us agree to disagree on that point(Personally I would rate I.Khan,K.Dev and Sir Garfield as better all rounders than him)
Sir Viv no 2 ways about it.Is at any wonder they nicknamed him King Viv.(Rated as the best one day batsman and 3rd ,behind Sir Don and ST in Tests.)
Regards
Old 7th December 2012, 00:08   #7269
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
The way this series is going, one thing has become certain. Ashwin the bowler is not what he is made out to be. Harbhajjan in his early years was way ahead of what Ashwin is today. I am by no means a Bhajji fan, but after looking at the way Ashwin has gone about in this series, i think its about time the selectors unearth a quality test match off spinner soon.
We are missing the ever relentless Anil Kumble big time!
I dont really think we have any off spinner on the benches who is better than Ashwin & Bhajji. The problem with Ashwin is he concentrates too much on variations & in the process doesn't bowl in good areas! If you take a look at the pitch map then you can see the difference between Swann & Ashwin with regard to the line.
Old 7th December 2012, 02:42   #7270
BHPian

I dare say aloud what everyone knew all along: Indian bowlers can't Cook
Old 7th December 2012, 11:08   #7271
BHPian

Except for the 9 wickets, the English are going at the same RR as India did. They'll probably declare at 650 and win after they've eaten 10 more Indian wickets. That'll make it 2-1 in favour of England and make Nagpur more interesting.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:36   #7272
Senior - BHPian

Ishant Sharma needs a lotttt of catching practice.
And Pujara in the slips? with all that gear? ATGATT gone to the extreme.

We need a new captain for test matches.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:45   #7273
Team-BHP Support

I want India to lose really badly. I want England to get in excess of 600 and then win by an innings. And then I want England to destroy whatever is left of our team in Nagpur.

Only then will we see any change.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:27   #7274
Senior - BHPian

With players notching up more runs and centuries faster than what Sachin did, should he really be called that great anymore?

I dont mean to carry the criticism of his current form or anything, this is a general question irrespective of his retirement discussions.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:50   #7275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I want India to lose really badly. I want England to get in excess of 600 and then win by an innings. And then I want England to destroy whatever is left of our team in Nagpur.

Only then will we see any change.

I would love India lose this & next one & badly too. But expecting something to change is wishful thinking. If someone even talks about dropping Dhoni from test team, they will be sacked.

Why dont same yardsticks apply for Yuvi, Kohli, Sachin - which were applied to Rahul & Laxman. Perform or perish.

In case of Dravid everyone forgot that he was the only one who scored 3 centuries in England but failed only in Australia.

Now Sachin scores 76 & it's being made up as if he saved or won a test match on his own.

I hope someday will come when we look for team glory than individual success.

Most Viewed