Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:14   #7366
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Indian captain's seat is like a CM's seat. The longer someone sits in it, the more troubles for team India. Have to say, it was a very good captain's knock by Dhoni.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:02   #7367
NMS
BHPian

Just checked the match scores !! Things look set for a BIG run chase ....
While we are being drubbed by teams from all over recently, I believe we have a bigger problem at hand.
People are speaking about removing Dhoni from Captaincy, but one the other hand, he does not even have a handful of players who can be relied upon.
There have been some losses where captaincy could have been better.. But Dhoni
cant be expected to come and bat in place of top 5 batsmen !!

It is really funny how we have Dinda in the team, just because he has a big heart !! Common he cant be bowling short all the time at his pace.
Funnier still is the fact the Rohit Sharma gets a place in the side (though he is not in today) just because he is extremely talented, wonder why no one noticed his extremely lazy shots.

It is time that the selectors moved out of their offices and saw some real domestic cricket, and handpick some deserving players.

Aaaarrghhh I guess I am just too frustrated !!
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:16   #7368
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Aaaarrghhh I guess I am just too frustrated !!
Not just you buddy.

Though Dhoni has his own problems with his bat,can't blame him completely. Its a team game. We nee at least some 4 or 5 quality and skillful batsmen top the order for those flat track smashers to swing hard.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:17   #7369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
There have been some losses where captaincy could have been better.. But Dhoni cant be expected to come and bat in place of top 5 batsmen !!
yes, but he can be expected to get the team to fight! the first ODI the team did not even try to defend the total. The field was spread out and it was almost like they were fulfilling an obligation to finish the match as if being forced to go and have dinner at their inlaws house.

the same Dhoni who while captaining his IPL side punches his head and shows off aggression. and the same Dhoni who says the corporates have invested so much so we need to repay their faith in us. What about the faith of their fans? should they not show some fight for them?

The problem is not the loss in the game, but the loss of fight.

For some reason, the team thinks they can only show fighting spirit with the bat. More than half of the game is about bowling and fielding, why dont they show some effort there?

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd January 2013 at 14:19.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:32   #7370
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Not just you buddy.

Though Dhoni has his own problems with his bat,can't blame him completely. Its a team game. We nee at least some 4 or 5 quality and skillful batsmen top the order for those flat track smashers to swing hard.
+1 to that M35. I totally agree, that this is a team game and each players performance can lift the performance of the entire team. The way with which we lost our wickets in the last match, and the way we were smashed all through, just tells us that everyone was only looking towards the captain for inspiration. Which I dont think is the best thing to have happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
yes, but he can be expected to get the team to fight! the first ODI the team did not even try to defend the total. The field was spread out and it was almost like they were fulfilling an obligation to finish the match as if being forced to go and have dinner at their inlaws house.

the same Dhoni who while captaining his IPL side punches his head and shows off aggression. and the same Dhoni who says the corporates have invested so much so we need to repay their faith in us. What about the faith of their fans? should they not show some fight for them?

The problem is not the loss in the game, but the loss of fight.

For some reason, the team thinks they can only show fighting spirit with the bat. More than half of the game is about bowling and fielding, why dont they show some effort there?
OK Selfdrive, Now I know that I am not the only one Trust me when typing the earlier post I had typed the line about Dhoni trying to bowl and field for the rest of the side !!

See as I stated, it is a team game and each player should take up the responsibility to stand up and deliver.
Obviously everyone will look up to the Captain to lead from the front, and show the way, what if he cant? is there someone who would stand up and take the responsibility like the Dravid's and Tendulkars ?

I agree, the same Dhoni who is so aggressive in IPL is so laid back in the matches that matter.
Is there a something fishy out here?
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:40   #7371
BHPian

I think in international cricket, quality of opposition is slightly more than in IPL. So while you can manage with bits and pieces players in IPL, in international cricket, the same players look distinctly pedestrian. In that case, the captain immediately focusses on decreasing scoring opportunities rather than taking wickets.
Old 3rd January 2013, 14:49   #7372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I think in international cricket, quality of opposition is slightly more than in IPL. So while you can manage with bits and pieces players in IPL, in international cricket, the same players look distinctly pedestrian. In that case, the captain immediately focusses on decreasing scoring opportunities rather than taking wickets.
School/ college maidan. Opposition needs 80 to win in 15 overs with 6 wickets in hand. Do you bring in the field or spread it out? How will you win the match?
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:45   #7373
M35
BHPian

Is there any body watching today's IND-PAK ODI? Indian batsmen have no clue whatsoever? Making a mockery of themselves.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:02   #7374
BHPian

Quote:
Is there any body watching today's IND-PAK ODI? Indian batsmen have no clue whatsoever? Making a mockery of themselves.
It is very strange. As if the first 4 batsmen were playing a different match. today finally the bowlers seemed to bowl decently (at least after pakistani openers got out), and then our batting destructs. sehwag and gambhir, and then kohli and yuvraj had no clue as to which way the bowl was going to move. At least the openers have to go, they have been given too long a lease now.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:23   #7375
M35
BHPian

Quote:
It is very strange. As if the first 4 batsmen were playing a different match. today finally the bowlers seemed to bowl decently (at least after pakistani openers got out), and then our batting destructs. sehwag and gambhir, and then kohli and yuvraj had no clue as to which way the bowl was going to move. At least the openers have to go, they have been given too long a lease now.
IND-95/5 and now Ashwin ahead of Jadeja. Can't understand what is happening?Is this the quality expected at this level? All these years we have been used to witness some good quality cricket but not anymore. Pathetic footwork and a complete eyesore.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:29   #7376
BHPian

Quote:
IND-95/5 and now Ashwin ahead of Jadeja. Can't understand what is happening?Is this the quality expected at this level? All these years we have been used to witness some good quality cricket but not anymore. Pathetic footwork and a complete eyesore.
hehe. you got your wish. talk about footwork.

to be fair, ashwin was in the runs, so jadeja getting in after him is fair.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:44   #7377
M35
BHPian

Quote:
hehe. you got your wish. talk about footwork.

to be fair, ashwin was in the runs, so jadeja getting in after him is fair.
No buddy.My concern is not why A ahead of B. All these don't seem to belong there. When we had great players like Sachin and Dravid and with likes of Sewag in form, some of these ill equipped so called international players could afford to hang around. But now it is not the case any more.

Pathetic isn't? What will happen if this group tour say AUS or ENG in those bouncy and seaming conditions?

Let me bang my head once again
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:52   #7378
BHPian

Quote:
Let me bang my head once again
Lol! I am in between jobs so I thought I would have a couple of months of full cricket match watching. So I have watched the entire eng test series - ball by ball, and now this...trust me, stop banging your head - you start getting neck problems like I have.
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:04   #7379
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Lol! I am in between jobs so I thought I would have a couple of months of full cricket match watching. So I have watched the entire eng test series - ball by ball, and now this...trust me, stop banging your head - you start getting neck problems like I have.
Ha ha lol. You know,I even upgraded my optic fibre connection to a higher speed just before the England series to watch cricket in HD.
once again . Its 9.30pm and had enough of cricket.
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:20   #7380
BHPian

The quality of the new players has gone so much, it will take really long time to get back where we were in 2007. Based on 3 triple centuries they took Jadeja but they didnt know how ranji tophy is so different from International Cricket. What happened to Rahane? I was so surprised and disappointed that Jadeja was included in this match.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks