Old 12th March 2014, 00:28   #7906
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Remember this discussion ?

Now as a fan (and an armchair critic ), I am worried about this piece of news:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/co...tml?CMP=chrome

In his endeavour to get into the ODI playing XI, Pujara has taken up bowling and is under pressure to do well in the IPL. Now this is a distraction that our best overseas no 3 with brittle knees can do without.

I just hope that he keeps tests as priority no 1.
I read this in the morning and didn't bothered much. Reason- bowling is a skill which takes years to develop. All successful bowlers started bowling at school level. So, Pujara suddenly deciding he can be a good bowler just by bowling in nets and who can contribute to team is rubbish attempt. All he can do is bowl 3-4 overs of spin in which he will be seriously smashed considering how our regular bowlers get treated these days.

Its just a desperate attempt by him cos Dhoni and co. aren't letting him in the Odi's.
Old 12th March 2014, 08:29   #7907
BHPian

Quote:
Remember this discussion ?

Now as a fan (and an armchair critic ), I am worried about this piece of news:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/co...tml?CMP=chrome

In his endeavour to get into the ODI playing XI, Pujara has taken up bowling and is under pressure to do well in the IPL. Now this is a distraction that our best overseas no 3 with brittle knees can do without.

I just hope that he keeps tests as priority no 1.
Yup, saw this piece of news yesterday. And it is disturbing. Because CP cannot find a place in the XI he turns to bowling with those brittle knees.

I hope someone understands the scenario and stops the stupidity. I am more or less certain that unless some of the selectors show some spine against the "team management" led by the master of all politicians MSD, the situation won't change.
Srikanth did this and paid the price by getting the boot from the selection committee and CSK!

After the match against the "mighty" Afgans (who actually have a couple of bowlers and lots of nerves better than us) it was opined that we needed the win for our morale, honestly; if you make a couple of changes and lose, none of them deserve to be in the side in the first place. They should be ashamed of even trying to defend their actions.

Unfortunately, in all our spheres of the Indian society, saying that I was wrong or made a mistake is so looked down upon that people invariably try to justify their actions - cricketers are no different, or atleast most of them are. Some like Mansoor Pataudi who always were their own men were always shooed away.
Old 12th March 2014, 10:49   #7908
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Reason- bowling is a skill which takes years to develop.
Which is precisely the point. Pujara, inspite of knowing that this may well be a futile exercise, is getting distracted. Moreover, he is putting pressure on himself to do well in the IPL unnecessarily.
Old 12th March 2014, 23:04   #7909
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Moreover, he is putting pressure on himself to do well in the IPL unnecessarily.
I think he should just enjoy the IPL. Don't think he is going to be a certainty in the playing 11. I don't recollect him playing many games in IPL in all these years either.
He missed out in New Zealand.
Old 17th March 2014, 19:53   #7910
Distinguished - BHPian

I just loved the new stumps and bails in use in the ongoing world t20
When a batsman gets bowled, the LEDs in them glow red.
Old 17th March 2014, 23:26   #7911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I just loved the new stumps and bails in use in the ongoing world t20
When a batsman gets bowled, the LEDs in them glow red.

The Australian big bash has been using it for almost 2 seasons now. I am actually surprised it took so long for them to be used here!
Old 18th March 2014, 12:35   #7912
BHPian

^^ Which begs the question on situations where the bails gets dislodged momentarily and then fits back in the groove when the ball / batsman's pad brushes the stump (has happened before). Hope Umpires are clearly instructed to clearly go by existing laws and not by glowing LEDs.
Old 19th March 2014, 09:23   #7913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
The Australian big bash has been using it for almost 2 seasons now. I am actually surprised it took so long for them to be used here!
Yes, One of my friends told me the same thing after I posted this here.
I have not followed the Big Bash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind View Post
^^ Which begs the question on situations where the bails gets dislodged momentarily and then fits back in the groove when the ball / batsman's pad brushes the stump (has happened before). Hope Umpires are clearly instructed to clearly go by existing laws and not by glowing LEDs.
The first condition to give a batsman out will always be that the bails must be dislodged COMPLETELY.
And moreover I guess that if the bail fits back in the groove, it will close the circuit again and the LEDs will switch off

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 19th March 2014 at 09:52.
Old 19th March 2014, 22:26   #7914
PPS
Senior - BHPian

This Varun Aaron is one of the worst fielders the Indian Team has seen in quite some time!
Dew i think could be an issue in the tournament & our spinners need to practice with the wet ball. Looking forward to the India-Pak match on Friday.
Meanwhile, Kapil Dev's commentary was quite entertaining!
Old 19th March 2014, 22:31   #7915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
This Varun Aaron is one of the worst fielders the Indian Team has seen in quite some time!
Dew i think could be an issue in the tournament & our spinners need to practice with the wet ball. Looking forward to the India-Pak match on Friday.
Meanwhile, Kapil Dev's commentary was quite entertaining!
He is another Ashish nehra. Problem isn't he dropped the catch but his technique was ridiculous to catch it.
Anyways, though a practice match but we won after such a long time.
Old 21st March 2014, 17:44   #7916
Senior - BHPian

Wow!
What a chase by Netherlands. Amazing hitting. 190 in 14 overs. Unbelievable.
Old 21st March 2014, 18:16   #7917
vij
BHPian

Quote:
Wow!
Yeah! Lord Voldermort, Hulk and Thor came to bat for Netherlands

Last edited by vij : 21st March 2014 at 18:19.
Old 27th March 2014, 17:13   #7918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow!
Ireland was no pushovers. The grit & belief shown by Dutch was outstanding. It was a 3-way contest: Dutch lose, Ireland would goto mains. If Dutch win after 14 overs, Zimbabwe would proceed. In the end Dutch won within 14 overs and are playing the finals. Overall, that chase would one of the amazing T20 cricket played.

After faux pas against Sri Lanka, the Dutch are back against SA. The way they are going, they might pull off another upset.
Old 27th March 2014, 18:32   #7919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Ireland was no pushovers. The grit & belief shown by Dutch was outstanding. It was a 3-way contest: Dutch lose, Ireland would goto mains. If Dutch win after 14 overs, Zimbabwe would proceed. In the end Dutch won within 14 overs and are playing the finals. Overall, that chase would one of the amazing T20 cricket played.

After faux pas against Sri Lanka, the Dutch are back against SA. The way they are going, they might pull off another upset.
Dutch choked just like SA does at times. It was their match but maybe lack of experience on higher levels did them in. However, i don't see SA winning the cup with this team and performance.
Old 4th April 2014, 21:36   #7920
Team-BHP Support

Whatta performance by Kohli. This man is seriously a run machine !

Most Viewed