Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2016, 16:31   #8611
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
......some big hitting by our boys in the junior world cup today albeit against Nepal (who actually beat NZ & Ireland to qualify)
I was actually pretty disappointed watching the U-19 stuff. Watched India's chase of Nepal's total and then the NZ game highlights back-to-back, and the lack of technique and temperament is shocking. The T-20 effect is percolating to junior levels pretty alarmingly, slog shots ruling the day. If the current U-19 side is anything to go by, we'll be hard-pressed to have a decent Test team in a few years.
Old 1st February 2016, 17:33   #8612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I was actually pretty disappointed watching the U-19 stuff. Watched India's chase of Nepal's total and then the NZ game highlights back-to-back, and the lack of technique and temperament is shocking. The T-20 effect is percolating to junior levels pretty alarmingly, slog shots ruling the day. If the current U-19 side is anything to go by, we'll be hard-pressed to have a decent Test team in a few years.
I wonder if there will be any tests in few years. Let's be honest to ourselves. Everyone has taken T20 like a billion dollar baby and no matter which league is started it's creating tons of money for organisers, players, media people and entertainment for people. Can't blame upcoming players just targeting T20 as benchmark for fame and money in abundance. I don't see test Match cricket surviving after another 5 years.
Old 1st February 2016, 21:59   #8613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I wonder if there will be any tests in few years. Let's be honest to ourselves. Everyone has taken T20 like a billion dollar baby and no matter which league is started it's creating tons of money for organisers, players, media people and entertainment for people. Can't blame upcoming players just targeting T20 as benchmark for fame and money in abundance. I don't see test Match cricket surviving after another 5 years.
While I won't go as far as to say I'm SURE there will always be tests, I'm pretty SURE I won't be watching cricket if there weren't.

T-20 holds absolutely no appeal to me; I'd rather go play stick-cricket outside with the street urchins if given the choice.

Contrary to popular belief, a lot of players are losing out to the T-20 phenomenon and careers are being destroyed. Team and sponsors pay millions to have the next big wannabe on their side, but what do you think happens if the poor player doesn't hit the ground running? Very few get a long rope, most are hung out to dry after a short stint never to be heard of/from again. Not to mention they've already spent most of their grooming years preparing the wrong way and don't have the temperament or aptitude to re-learn.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st February 2016 at 22:01.
Old 9th February 2016, 19:39   #8614
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

India U19 team thrashed Sri Lanka in the world cup semi final and now....
India 2 wickets down against a young Sri Lankan side in the T20 game. Rohit sharma and Rahane gone! Should be an interesting game hopefully.
Old 9th February 2016, 20:16   #8615
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Kasun and Dasun (yeah they're the bowlers ) reduce India to 51-5 and both got 2 wickets in their first overs.
Where is this match headed ?
Old 9th February 2016, 20:19   #8616
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Kasun and Dasun (yeah they're the bowlers ) reduce India to 51-5 and both got 2 wickets in their first overs.
Where is this match headed ?
6 out now. Rather than great bowling absolutely ridiculous shots by everyone. Won't even make 100 now and right deserve to lose. Over confidence.
Old 9th February 2016, 20:32   #8617
Senior - BHPian

I feel if India somehow scrape to 120, we will have a match in our hands worth watching but India would lose.

This is what I mentioned in my previous post regarding T20 rankings, even though WI is on top but the nature of T20 is such that any team can defeat any team in T20 any day irrespective of the rankings.
Old 9th February 2016, 21:25   #8618
Team-BHP Support

I am loving it !

Long time since I've seen such a lively pitch & conditions like these where the bowlers are dominating.

What an over by Bumrah
Old 9th February 2016, 22:44   #8619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is obvious that Australia prioritise ODIs and Tests over T20 internationals.
Australian selectors fired their T20 captain for the loss. Steve Smith is the new captain. If T20 isn't a priority, then why take the drastic step?
Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
This is what I mentioned in my previous post regarding T20 rankings, even though WI is on top but the nature of T20 is such that any team can defeat any team in T20 any day irrespective of the rankings.
Yes, in T20s, the difference between teams is marginal. With today's loss, India move to No 3 and SL is the new No 1 in ICC T20 ranking
Old 10th February 2016, 06:48   #8620
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

The young Sri Lankan team just brought the Indians down to earth and that is good after the recent T20 series sweep in Australia;that was probably making them complacent and over confident. This is good in light of the upcoming T20 world cup, hope it helps the Indian team prepare better.
Old 10th February 2016, 22:02   #8621
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Australian selectors fired their T20 captain for the loss. Steve Smith is the new captain. If T20 isn't a priority, then why take the drastic step?
Beacuse they wanted the same captain in all formats
Old 11th February 2016, 15:15   #8622
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The young Sri Lankan team just brought the Indians down to earth and that is good after the recent T20 series sweep in Australia;that was probably making them complacent and over confident. This is good in light of the upcoming T20 world cup, hope it helps the Indian team prepare better.
Don't read too much into that series sweep. Australia are one of the worst sides in this format.
Old 11th February 2016, 15:46   #8623
Team-BHP Support

The U19 world cup semi final between WI & Bangladesh looks to be a cliffhanger. The winner plays us in the finals

Edit: It's India vs West Indiess

Last edited by Eddy : 11th February 2016 at 16:13.
Old 11th February 2016, 17:00   #8624
BHPian

Quote:

Edit: It's India vs West Indiess
Wow, West Indies. They didn't even deserve to be in the quarters after the mankading incident and now they are in the finals.

Should be an easy final for the Indian "Colts".
Old 11th February 2016, 19:08   #8625
Oxy
BHPian

Meanwhile the West Indies senior team is again fighting with their board over a payment dispute.

Expect a second string WI team for the WT20.

Most Viewed