Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2017, 14:01   #9391
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

I agree; Dhoni is half the batsman he was. Still effective and earns his place in the side, but can't be the one man army he often was in the past.

I did not get the SA point - all four in our group have to win three games now, I believe, not just SA.
Old 9th June 2017, 14:21   #9392
Team-BHP Support

Both matches in our group are quarterfinals. If Ind-SA is rained off, we are through irrespective of whatever happens in the SL-Pak match.
Old 9th June 2017, 14:49   #9393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Both matches in our group are quarterfinals. If Ind-SA is rained off, we are through irrespective of whatever happens in the SL-Pak match.
It's simple. We need to win on Sunday at any cost.

Btw, what if both matches are washed out. All teams will be on 3 points each. In that scenario will India and SA go through cos of better NRR?
Old 9th June 2017, 14:57   #9394
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I believe that is what Eddy has conveyed; a wash out works for us just as well.

Looking back and reading the post match interviews, I think India paid the price for complacency and for underestimating SL. The necessary sense of urgency in the middle overs was missing.

Let's see how well the lesson has been learnt; fortunately for us the first knock out game has us playing a team that seems to also be riddled with doubts and problems.
Old 9th June 2017, 15:43   #9395
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
It's simple. We need to win on Sunday at any cost.

Btw, what if both matches are washed out. All teams will be on 3 points each. In that scenario will India and SA go through cos of better NRR?
Yes, we have the best NRR in the group so we will definitely qualify if we win or if it is rained off.
Old 9th June 2017, 15:50   #9396
BHPian

I feel Ashwin should be brought back into the playing 11 in place of Jadeja. Anyway he's not getting a chance to bat because India bat deep and big. His bowling is not as effective it was in India, in England, thanks to the conditions there. Even if the need for a left-arm spinner arises, Yuvi is already there in the team. Indian bowling was very much one dimensional in this SL match. Ashwin's presence in the team against ABD on INDvsSA match, could help!

On the batting front, yes, we need to step up the run rate during middle overs. RS and SD cant afford to play slow even after scoring 50s. This hurt us bad.
Old 9th June 2017, 16:14   #9397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autospeaker View Post
I feel Ashwin should be brought back into the playing 11 in place of Jadeja. Anyway he's not getting a chance to bat because India bat deep and big. His bowling is not as effective it was in India, in England, thanks to the conditions there. Even if the need for a left-arm spinner arises, Yuvi is already there in the team. Indian bowling was very much one dimensional in this SL match. Ashwin's presence in the team against ABD on INDvsSA match, could help!

On the batting front, yes, we need to step up the run rate during middle overs. RS and SD cant afford to play slow even after scoring 50s. This hurt us bad.

Absolutely. Ashwin is a must for SA particularly in view of the fact that they don't play spin well and even if the ball is not doing much, just for the sake of variety. Yuvi can take care of left arm spinner in place of Jadeja.

The approach in batting is good to retain wickets for 20 overs or so and then unleash. Just that after getting the platform, it would be prudent not to throw away wickets cheaply so that you can dominate and get a good score.

The score set yesterday was very good. It's just that it was a flat pitch with least assistance to bowlers but we have to admit that SL batted brilliantly and we somewhat underestimated the exuberance of their youth.

Let's hope for a better performance on Sunday against SA to sail through.
Old 11th June 2017, 21:57   #9398
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Looks like its again going to be India-England final! Hopefully the result will also stay the same like the one in 2013.
Old 12th June 2017, 05:51   #9399
Senior - BHPian

Shambolic by SA. I have never before seen two batsman diving to the same crease to complete a run. And a replay to decide who is out.
India and Virat did very well though; the applied pressure broke SA.
Old 12th June 2017, 09:16   #9400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Shambolic by SA. I have never before seen two batsman diving to the same crease to complete a run. And a replay to decide who is out.
It was like there are two people in the house who get up early in the morning and there is only one toilet in the house
Jokes apart, the ICC tournament jinx thing has got to the SA players I guess. They were trying too hard and again succumbed to it. Of course the Indian new ball bowlers didn't give anything away but the run-outs were suicidal; more out of nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Looks like its again going to be India-England final! Hopefully the result will also stay the same like the one in 2013.
Unless Srilanka or Pakistan have other plans. With already 3 upsets in the tournament, anything can happen.
Old 12th June 2017, 09:35   #9401
BHPian

Expecting Pandya to bowl 10 overs and not get smashed around is a bad strategy. We need 4 full time bowlers and Pandya/Jadeja can be the 5th bowler and also cover up if a front line bowler gets smacked around.

India has dismissed Pakistan and South Africa in 40 odd overs. Yet, I am not too confident about India's bowling strength.

Things clicked in 2 matches but SriLanka showed how India's bowling can be tackled by playing steady. We should thank SL for giving Team India a wakeup call.

Against Bangladesh at Edgbaston, I would drop 1 bastman and pick Umesh Yadav. Surely you don't need a batsman at number 8 against Bangladesh. If anything you need quality bowlers to take wickets.

Last edited by freedom : 12th June 2017 at 09:36.
Old 12th June 2017, 09:55   #9402
Senior - BHPian

Good point@freedom. Let's see if our set up can think flexibly. Yadav for Jadhav.
Old 12th June 2017, 12:29   #9403
BHPian

Yes its time to drop Jadhav for Yadav, If seven batsman cant do it, then you cant win matches. We need depth in bowling. Pandya is a batting allrounder I believe, can give bowling options to the captain.
Old 14th June 2017, 20:56   #9404
BHPian

It looks like an India-Pakistan finale in the Champions Trophy!!! Will India defeat Bangladesh to make it happen? Can India defeat Pakistan second time in the same tournament?
I think Pakistan's resurgence is dramatic and really surprising.
Old 14th June 2017, 21:00   #9405
Senior - BHPian

This isn't necessarily a good result for India because we are now even more of favourites to win the final than before. Which will mean more pressure on us for even the semi final!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks