Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:29   #9526
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

A big day for cricket globally; I suspect even the English team are conflicted in at least a small way about this game. In many ways an Indian win will leave them better off in the long run if the result does the same for women's cricket as the 1983/2007 Indian wins did for the men's game. In cricket, Indian financial power has the ability to transform the game and fortunes of the players in every country that plays it seriously.

Many parallels to the 1983 win in other ways as well. The Kapil Dev 175 not out matched by Kaur's 171 not out; the match in 1983 also was effectively a knock out game for India as the semi final here was. The Final at Lords, with India the underdogs but coming from having eliminated more fancied teams.

Now for the rest of the parallels to come about and complete that story.
Old 23rd July 2017, 13:09   #9527
BHPian

Hi All,
I am currently in Germany Frankfurt and really intrested to see the world cup final today. Hotstar is not supporting live streaming here. Can anyone please tell me any live streaming channels on which I can watch the final?
It would be of great help please🙂
Old 23rd July 2017, 13:33   #9528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubshar View Post
Hi All,
I am currently in Germany Frankfurt and really intrested to see the world cup final.....
Try seeing whether you have ESPN, although it might not be free.

You could use a VPN in the Opera browser and try HotStar.

Download the SofaScore app and see which channels is the event being telecasted in your region. (may not be reliable as the Data is crowd-sourced)
Old 23rd July 2017, 17:35   #9529
Team-BHP Support

Some excellent middle-overs bowling, but poor fielding has cost India at least 25-30 runs and a couple run out chances. Hopefully doesn't come back to bite them.
Old 23rd July 2017, 17:52   #9530
Senior - BHPian

One of the two stalwarts has done her job; Goswamy, with 3 for 23 in 10 overs. Over to Raj with the bat!

Last edited by Sawyer : 23rd July 2017 at 17:55.
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:28   #9531
Senior - BHPian

Halfway in the match and India very much in it; I hesitate to say more taking into account the pressure of runs to make in a final. And the knowledge that this is a match that is now very winnable will create its own pressure.

Early on I thought England would run away with it, but India did not wilt under the pressure. Excellent all around performance.
Old 23rd July 2017, 22:17   #9532
Team-BHP Support

A match worthy of the final!

Plenty of time to nitpick and dissect what went wrong, but this World Cup has put women's cricket in the spotlight, and it hopefully builds on it to better things.
Old 23rd July 2017, 22:18   #9533
Senior - BHPian

Good match, but we gifted the Cup to England at the end. Pressure and inexperience and one has to say the team choked.

Hopefully the lesson that will be learnt is more exposure and more experience with perhaps - although I hesitate to say this - coaching staff with more experience and capability. Certainly fitness levels and fielding skills can improve a great deal.
Old 23rd July 2017, 22:27   #9534
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Pressure got to the girls in the end & they panicked. Needed to play sensibly towards the end. My first time watching women's cricket.
And this is the first time England has ever won a 50 over World Cup.
Old 23rd July 2017, 22:35   #9535
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
And this is the first time England has ever won a 50 over World Cup.
2nd for ENG women in 50-over format, and 4th overall (1973, 1993, 2009 and this one).
Old 23rd July 2017, 23:26   #9536
BHPian

It was a battle of nerves. I am a nobody to dissect their performance but the girls have surely fired up an imagination of a nation. I don't know how many of my generation were glued to their television sets watching women play and that itself speaks about the change that these girls have brought. Surely it would have been good to see them hold the world cup, but the fact that a bunch of girls made a whole nation sit up and take notice is an epitome in itself and a win bigger than the world cup trophy

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 24th July 2017, 06:30   #9537
Senior - BHPian

While the performance overall has been very good, we ought to not go overboard in applauding the loss. We tend to accept silver medals too easily. I did not feel much when the men got egg over their collective faces at the hands of Pakistan because we were just not deserving of a win on the day. Yesterday we lost in spite of being in a winning position for 70% of the match time. But even poised for victory with 38 runs from some 42 balls with 7 in hand, the batters looked far from calm, with shot selection that was high risk and low return for some time before they got to that seemingly comfortable stage. A couple of the high risk shots then failed as the odds caught up and panic set in.

England lost very similarly a couple of years ago in the world T20, and did a drastic shake up of their set up and culture in training and focus. The results are there to see in how they chased in the semi finals and defended in the finals. Very visibly a pro v amateur match in terms of approach, not in skills. Entertaining, but the odds will always favour the pro approach.

We need a Gopichand or a female equivalent to take charge. If a Nehwal or a Sindhu can be world class in terms of fitness levels when injury free, so should each of these women.

BCCI hopefully does not go back to sleep till the next event.

Last edited by Sawyer : 24th July 2017 at 06:49.
Old 26th July 2017, 03:16   #9538
Senior - BHPian

The sad story of Patrick Patterson: http://indianexpress.com/article/spo...-mind-4762590/
Old 26th July 2017, 12:03   #9539
BHPian

Man that loss was heart breaking. I think we had the game, till we had the run out (8th wicket). After that, it really was very difficult. However, so proud of the team! Way to go!

I hope this turnaround is sustained and grown further for the game in India.
Old 28th July 2017, 22:43   #9540
Senior - BHPian

So Andrew Fidel Fernando is predicting a full circle.

I shared this with my father- http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...onference-2030

He reads this:(and bursts out laughing)
Quote:
Coach, tough day in the office for your boys?
Err… I suppose you could say that. Being in a situation where we are 14 for 5, following on, on the second day, after Karnataka B made 789 for 5, is not ideal.
He told me that SL used to play TN before attaining Test status and sent me this- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._J._Gopalan_Trophy

I was like this-

SL is so terrible- even Pakistan would offer more competition against India.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 28th July 2017 at 22:44.

Most Viewed