Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2018, 11:39   #9676
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Your post sums up the reason why I have abstained from watching Cricket off late. It's no longer a game, it's a full-fledged business!
Oh totally man, I've saved countless hours by not watching cricket since Dravid retired. I follow some test matches on Cricinfo if I'm bored at work but that's all the time and emotional investment I'm willing to make in the game after wasting countless man-years following it in the past.

And I think the players pretty much consider it a business too, and nothing wrong with that, it's their job after all. It's us fans who are in the wrong by associating a mere time-pass game with things like national pride and stuff.
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:04   #9677
Team-BHP Support

I agree partially. To me, the charm is not all lost.

The Ashes in England is unparalleled
A Test Series among England, SA or Australia anywhere
An India home series against the above teams.
50 Over World Cup Tournaments
Other ICC Tournaments

The point I am making is that cricket, when played between the top 4 teams, is still engrossing enough for me to invest emotions and time watching however much is possible. Yes, it may have gone a few notches down in the priority list but still is good enough.

For me, what has not changed for the past 20 years is the interest in Ranji Trophy. I still follow the season throughout keeping a tab of who is doing well.

And I love the IPL and the fantasy games
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:07   #9678
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
We can go on and on about how India has a chance of upsetting SA at home this time, but the fact remains that we are not playing even a single warm up game before the first test match.

Yes, no warm up match at all in South Africa.

This is horrible scheduling, and if our batting does fail in that first test it's going to take hell of an effort to get back into the test series.

Seriously, BCCI could have done a lot better. Don't know what compelled them to play SL instead. Sheer stupidity & greed.
I personally think it makes sense. The practice match was being offered on a flat pitch. There is no point in our batsmen bullying away club level bowlers on that pitch, only to get a massive reality check in the test match against bowlers like Morkel, Rabada, Philander and Steyn. So rather have intense net sessions on a similar pitch that we are likely to get in the test match.
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:19   #9679
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I personally think it makes sense. The practice match was being offered on a flat pitch. There is no point in our batsmen bullying away club level bowlers on that pitch, only to get a massive reality check in the test match against bowlers like Morkel, Rabada, Philander and Steyn. So rather have intense net sessions on a similar pitch that we are likely to get in the test match.
Why not both ? England played some 2-3 matches before the Ashes. None of our players are regular at the county level, and we have not had match practice outside India for more than a year. It's going to be tough !
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:29   #9680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
England played some 2-3 matches before the Ashes.
Didnt help much, did it?

More than anything else, they could have gone earlier to acclimatise better. Maybe a combination of a practice match or just sessions against our own bowlers would have helped.
This morning I read an article on cricinfo stating how our bowling attack is quite similar to theirs; man to man.
Old 3rd January 2018, 14:32   #9681
Team-BHP Support

Since they are playing against India, time for the following to bat like legends

Aiden Markram
Quinton de Kock
Dean Elgar
Old 4th January 2018, 16:46   #9682
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
And I love the IPL and the fantasy games
Which fantasy games do you usually play?
Old 4th January 2018, 17:27   #9683
Senior - BHPian

I don't agree with the general sentiment here.
BCCI is greedy, which board isn't? Or which sport administration in world misses any opportunity to make cash. Its a business obviously, since ages.
But, if you are a true sports fanatic you will follow it irrespective of how commercialize it has become.

Yes, I didn't see the recent Sri Lanka series myself and only followed it on cricbuzz. Because for me SL is not a worthy opponent for us anymore. Just like Windies. However, I am waiting like anything for tomorrow's test to start cos for the first time in our cricket history I actually have belief we will do well and not just some patriotic feeling but based on the form our team has displayed. Atleast, we will do much much better than the overrated English have done in Ashes.

Also, we blame bcci for being greedy and money minded but we don't appreciate how much in recent times they have been doing for first class cricketers, retired ones and current team. They have increased salaries for all and have even accepted kohli/shastri proposal to increase more even at the ground level players. Which other board is doing that?

Lastly, kohli justification for cancelling the warm up was spot on. You can't do much in a 2 day match as a player with limited opportunity but you can train quite well in those 2 days at a similar pitch to become familiar with conditions.

On a side note I so wished Rahul was playing instead of dhawan tomorrow. Rahul is too classy and talented to warm the bench and dhawan is too suspectable outside India against a moving ball.

Last edited by harry10 : 4th January 2018 at 17:29.
Old 4th January 2018, 17:35   #9684
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
On a side note I so wished Rahul was playing instead of dhawan tomorrow. Rahul is too classy and talented to warm the bench and dhawan is too suspectable outside India against a moving ball.
Cannot agree more.

Dhawan will be a walking wicket. Bullying the SL trundlers in one thing, but the prospect of Morkel, Steyn, Rabada and Philander in their own backyard is a different ball game altogether.
Old 4th January 2018, 22:23   #9685
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Which fantasy games do you usually play?
Like everyone, I started with the free version of ESPN Super Selector and even continued when they became paid (vouchers were available at Sify cyber cafes).

Then there was playcricketonline.com (I pinged them with so many suggestions that they almost offered me a job ) till that shut down.

I quite enjoyed the fantasy games on cricketnext and NDTV till they also shut down.

Currently I play the fantasy games on the ICC Official websites for all ICC events, official IPL fantasy and the following sites:
Fanspole
Fandromeda
Cricketinc

I gave cricbattle a try but never pursued.
Old 5th January 2018, 13:38   #9686
Team-BHP Support

Wow, Rahane dropped. Pandya is playing as the all-rounder. And Bumrah instead of Yadav.

Bold, aggressive calls by Kohli !
Old 5th January 2018, 14:19   #9687
Senior - BHPian

The Cricket Thread

Dream start to the series. SA 12/3. Hope we atleast compete well.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 5th January 2018 at 14:24.
Old 5th January 2018, 14:21   #9688
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, Rahane dropped. Pandya is playing as the all-rounder. And Bumrah instead of Yadav.

Bold, aggressive calls by Kohli !
Selection of Bumrah seems Ok. But Pandya as a Test all-rounder? I really can't digest. Hope he proves me wrong.
Meanwhile Bhuvi is bowling viciously, picking up the openers and Amla.

Last edited by autospeaker : 5th January 2018 at 14:24. Reason: Added Amla wicket
Old 5th January 2018, 15:26   #9689
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rahane's confidence must really have been shattered considering he's the vice-captain of the team! I guess Kohli has selected the team based on current form. I'm surprised with Umesh Yadav's exclusion, i thought he was the spearhead of our attack.
Old 5th January 2018, 15:47   #9690
BHPian

Slightly off topic. Capetown faces water crisis and Indian team is asked not to shower more than two minutes.

Quote:
IT’S AN impossible to implement order, but everybody in Cape Town has been officially asked to not use the shower for more than two minutes. It’s one of the several water conservation messages that the Indian cricketers came across on reaching their hotel after a sweaty and tiring day under the relentless sun. With many in the Indian team hailing from areas with water problems, they understand the severity of the situation, but they aren’t quite timing their baths as of now.
Link1
Link2
Link3
Link4

Last edited by AltoLXI : 5th January 2018 at 15:50.

Most Viewed