Old 22nd August 2018, 13:51   #10576
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Oops

Now, situation for England (favorable outcomes) is like:
England win if Rashid and Anderson score centuries OR

England salvages a draw if both remain unbeaten (with or without help from weather gods)
One more outcome you missed...Rashid double century and Anderson remains 20*
Old 22nd August 2018, 17:12   #10577
Senior - BHPian

Done and dusted.

We needed someone to stand up and be counted. It seems the entire team did.

Right from the openers through to Pujara, Rahane, Pant, Pandya and the bowlers. All of them did their bit. This is something special with this side that they can work and contribute as a team. Series are usually won by the better team than by individual performances.

It would be interesting to see the selection strategy for the next 2 matches. All bowlers are doing well, but if the next 2 pitches will be spin friendly, Kuldeep might return. Especially if Ashwin is not fit. Time for him to step up and join the party.

I hope this performance is not a flash in the pan but spurs them on to better things. Like the test victory in 2002 at Headingley.
It would be an amazing turnaround for the team to level the series and give their best shot at probably winning it from 0-2 down.

Only goes to show how much good a couple of practice matches would do to this side. We cannot continue to lose the first few matches for gaining practice.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd August 2018 at 07:13. Reason: Formatting
Old 22nd August 2018, 17:29   #10578
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Even a result of 2-2 with 1 draw would be a good conclusion, given the first two were complete whitewashes and the team would've come back from being 0-2.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd August 2018 at 17:32.
Old 22nd August 2018, 17:55   #10579
Oxy
BHPian

Considering the next test starts a whole week later, the groundsmen at Southampton now have ample time to make sure the pitch is a flat pancake, where both teams score 600 and the match ends in a boring draw, and thereby India going into the fifth test still trailing in the series.

They now know that we have decent enough bowlers to trouble them so I am fairly sure they will try to negate that aspect.
Old 22nd August 2018, 18:20   #10580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
They now know that we have decent enough bowlers to trouble them so I am fairly sure they will try to negate that aspect.
The problem with preparing such a flat pitch would mean that Dhawan, Rahul, Pant and Pandya could go bonkers. Well, so could Stokes, Bairstow and Buttler. Overall its a catch 22 for them.
Empower their batsmen at the risk of empowering ours or do that with the bowlers?
Old 22nd August 2018, 20:14   #10581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Considering the next test starts a whole week later, the groundsmen at Southampton now have ample time to make sure the pitch is a flat pancake, where both teams score 600 and the match ends in a boring draw, and thereby India going into the fifth test still trailing in the series.
Flat pitches are not going to happen. Over the past 3-4 years, there has been intent to prepare pitches which produce a result to make test cricket interesting and draw in audiences.

In the past, I remember more than 50% of the matches used to end in a draw. That percentage has gone down massively.

Frankly, when was the last time we had a draw? I think it was a long time back in the England tour of India.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 22nd August 2018 at 20:28.
Old 22nd August 2018, 22:18   #10582
BHPian

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...-tests-england

In:
Prithvi Shaw
Hanuma Vihari

Out:
M Vijay
Kuldeep Yadav
Old 22nd August 2018, 22:28   #10583
BHPian

Getting Vijay out was the right decision IMO. He has had multiple opportunities off late but has failed to prove himself. They should also look at offloading Dinesh Karthik as India should really be looking towards a building a base for the future and I don't think he fits in.
Old 22nd August 2018, 22:56   #10584
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised at Kuldeep Yadav's exclusion. That too for another middle order batsman? Who may never play??
Old 23rd August 2018, 08:24   #10585
BHPian

Vihari and Shaw should open the innings. Followed by Pujara and Kohli.
It is a very bold decision by the selectors. MSK Prasad for once has been aggressive
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:13   #10586
Senior - BHPian

I would question Shami's selection too. He bowled a total of 29 overs in the test going for 134 runs with just 2 wickets. Remember these are wickets conducive for fast bowling and if Ishaant and Pandya can take wickets, I wonder what excuse Shami has.
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:21   #10587
Team-BHP Support

What worries me is if Vihari has been chosen does that mean that Kohli's back is getting worse ? Hence the middle order backup.
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:23   #10588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I would question Shami's selection too. He bowled a total of 29 overs in the test going for 134 runs with just 2 wickets. Remember these are wickets conducive for fast bowling and if Ishaant and Pandya can take wickets, I wonder what excuse Shami has.
Come on, Shami has been bowling well. You can't expect a bowler to pick up 3+ wickets in every game! He has looked penetrative enough.

Leaving out Kuldeep is a good decision. He is still not ready to bowl as a spinner out of subcontinent conditions. He needs to be nurtured. With Jadeja available I don't think the team needs any more spinners on this tour.

Pant had a good game, but he needs to work on his footwork as a keeper.
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:25   #10589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
What worries me is if Vihari has been chosen does that mean that Kohli's back is getting worse ? Hence the middle order backup.
It may be to give them exposure around the team prior to the Australia tour. Even if Virat's back is giving issues, Karun Nair would be a better bet than throwing Shaw or Vihari in the deep end.

I don't really see why we needed 2 batsmen, but I guess we will know if they are looking to cover some other aspects or injuries to other players not yet disclosed.

On the other side of the fence, it looks likely that Moeen will return. I hope we don't make it a sequel of the 2014 success story for him.

Last edited by selfdrive : 23rd August 2018 at 09:29.
Old 23rd August 2018, 09:36   #10590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
From what i followed on cricinfo, Shami was bowling very well with the old ball - reverse swing. He was troubling Stokes & Butler .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks