Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2018, 00:58   #10966
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
MSD dropped!
Talent a part of the test team!!
Yeah, Didn't see either one coming. Though the statement is 'we are looking for a 2nd WK'. No harm in doing that IMHO. The position MSD bats at in T20s isn't suitable, so if we are not changing our approach, atleast change personnel for the approach.

I have been critical of India's approach in both T20s and ODIs - which are almost alike. It only aids in the top order getting hundreds and places undue pressure on the middle and lower order. Don't think that we are changing that approach. So the MSD change in T20s is fine.

As for Talent in Tests. Gavaskar was propagating it when he scored his last century. Let's again get ready to be disappointed. Also, Nair finds himself out of this team too. I wasn't too enthused with Vihari's technique but once he's been given a chance, lets back him for some time atleast.

Also, batting in Australia is far easier than England. You really do not have a lot of seam movement, a bit of swing is all that you need to negotiate.
Old 27th October 2018, 16:21   #10967
PPS
Senior - BHPian

With an 18 member squad chosen for the Australian Test Series, rest assured about half a dozen of them won't even get a game !
Mayank Agarwal who was in the test squad against WI is dropped without any reason.
No Hardik Pandya may perhaps mean no 5 bowler theory unless Jadeja plays as 5th bowler.
Parthiv also makes a comeback, and somehow Shreyas Iyer finds a place in the T20 team.
Old 27th October 2018, 17:12   #10968
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
MSD dropped!
Perhaps he probably opted out? I think MSD would want to only focus on WP '19 and hence, ODIs than have a burn-out (fatigue/injury) or potentially further highlight his lack of batting form. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires before the WP.
Old 27th October 2018, 19:04   #10969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MSD dropped!
Is MSD paying the price for taking on the selector? MS Dhoni refuses to play Vijay Hazare quarterfinals. Chief selector red-faced
Quote:
Talent a part of the test team!!
Isn't only T20I squad announced so far?
Old 27th October 2018, 22:15   #10970
Lij
BHPian

So suddenly Kedar Jadhav is fit to play the final 2 matches of WI ODI series, well strange are the ways of BCCI selection committee !!

Credentials of the selection committee -

M. S. K. Prasad (Chairman) - played 6 Tests and 17 ODIs
Devang Gandhi - played 4 Tests and 3 ODIs
Sarandeep Singh - played 3 Tests and 5 ODIs
(Credit Wiki)

Last edited by Lij : 27th October 2018 at 22:19.
Old 28th October 2018, 08:29   #10971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Is MSD paying the price for taking on the selector? MS Dhoni refuses to play Vijay Hazare quarterfinals. Chief selector red-faced
He has hardly performed with the bat in the last 2 years in either the T20s or the ODIs. He is lucky to still retain a seat in the ODI team. He is averaging 26 with the bat at a low strike rate of 72 in the last 12 months in ODIs and this is one of the reason that India has been struggling if their top 3 do not finish of the match.

You wouldn't expect an average of 26 from your no 5/no 6 batsman if you want to win finals.

Last edited by searacer932 : 28th October 2018 at 08:33.
Old 30th October 2018, 21:48   #10972
BHPian

Finally someone said that need to be said. Sourav Ganguly says he is appalled by the way in which our current coach was selected.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...sourav-ganguly

Quote:
He has a "deep sense of fear and worry" about how cricket is being run in India.

He has also spoken publicly for the first time about the "appalling" way in which Ravi Shastri was selected as the national team's head coach.
"My experience in the matter of coach selection was appalling," Ganguly wrote. "The less said the better."
Old 31st October 2018, 13:40   #10973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
You wouldn't expect an average of 26 from your no 5/no 6 batsman if you want to win finals.
Agree on the batting performance part. But my theory is if your top 5 batsmen fail to do it (in English conditions specifically for the World Cup), then cant expect much from a no 6. But having said that even if one catch is dropped by the keeper or one stumping is missed, it could cost match. So I would love to have MSD in the World Cup team purely as a Wicketkeeper, since I believe he is still the best keeper in the present day cricket. The allrounder Dhoni is definitely a thing of past.

The other thing that worries me is the credentials of the current Selection team and the way they have been picking and dropping players recently. It hardly gives confidence to the young players. The bowling department looks ok but batting line up is still nothing to talk about if remove the top 3. Somehow the team doesnt look to be settled
Old 31st October 2018, 14:56   #10974
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
Agree on the batting performance part. But my theory is if your top 5 batsmen fail to do it (in English conditions specifically for the World Cup), then cant expect much from a no 6. But having said that even if one catch is dropped by the keeper or one stumping is missed, it could cost match. So I would love to have MSD in the World Cup team purely as a Wicketkeeper, since I believe he is still the best keeper in the present day cricket. The allrounder Dhoni is definitely a thing of past.
A middle order consisting of Rayudu, Pandey, Dhoni and possibly Karthik is going to be a disaster in the world cup. You don't need to look back long, this middle order collapsed even against Hong Kong in our first Asia Cup match.

Rayudu has an ODI career strike rate of 76, and Pandey and Dhoni are massive momentum suckers. I am amazed that we don't have better middle order options than these.
Old 31st October 2018, 17:40   #10975
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
A middle order consisting of Rayudu, Pandey, Dhoni and possibly Karthik is going to be a disaster in the world cup. I am amazed that we don't have better middle order options than these.
Fact is , we don't!
Several players have not taken the limited chances given to them. From no.4 to no. 7, it looks like its going to be Rayadu,Dhoni,Jadhav,Pandya. Pandey can be a good 12th man since he's an outstanding fielder. There are not many games remaining before the World Cup. Dhoni doesn't quite command a place in the team for his batting nowadays, but he is a necessity in the field.

Incase , 1 among Bhuvi-Bumrah get injured, that again will be a concern as the backup seamer Khaleel Ahmed is terribly inexperienced. Umesh is inconsistent & Shami can hasn't played much ODI cricket in last 2 yrs.
Old 1st November 2018, 11:11   #10976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
With an 18 member squad chosen for the Australian Test Series, rest assured about half a dozen of them won't even get a game !

Looking at how Kohli changes his team combination after every game, I would be surprised if all 18 members don't get at least one game during the series.
Old 1st November 2018, 12:45   #10977
Oxy
BHPian

Rohit Sharma in the test team is a massive travesty. He is the Aaron Finch of India - a gun batsmen in the shorter formats but cannot buy a run in test cricket to save his life.
Old 4th November 2018, 10:48   #10978
Senior - BHPian

Rohit's selection for the test side is a poor call, especially when Karun Nair is waiting on the sidelines. Rohit just doesn't have the technique to play red-ball cricket anywhere in the world.

OTOH, good to see Steyn in form. I love the guy and want to see him play 2019 WC and at least a 100 test matches. Australians are 6-74. Want to see RSA win a WC.
Old 5th November 2018, 16:05   #10979
Senior - BHPian

Bangladesh dismiss Zimbabwe for 181, needing 321 to win with 2 days to spare.
It looks like bad light has ended play on Day 3 with BD 26/0

Zimbabwe had done well to dismiss BD for 140 odd; a stronger batting performance would have sealed the test for them. Now it needs to be seen if BD can cross 200 for the first time in 8 test innings.
Old 6th November 2018, 09:34   #10980
Senior - BHPian

That match. Those 2 men.
Nice read, though it is a few years old.
Thanks VVS and Dravid for the fantastic memories

http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/sto...-after-kolkata

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks