Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:12   #11521
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

With Shami doing extremely well in last few matches, It will be difficult to leave him out in the world cup playing XI.

For the balance of the team, we can only play with 4 bowlers and 1 allrounder

Bhuvi, Bumrah, Chahal looks sure and depending on the pitch it will be a swap between Shami and Kuldeep.

Allrounder spot will be taken by Pandya\ Shankar or Jadeja.
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:48   #11522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I think Bumrah, Shami, Kuldeep, Chahal, Pandya is a fantastic bowling attack to win us the world cup. Our problem is middle order batting. People like Rayudu and Jadhav don't cut it. We need Pant and maybe Shubhman Gill.

Was looking forward to Gill getting a game today, disappointed to see Rayudu slot straight back.
Instead of Pandya I will play Bhuvi. Proper bowler and scores runs too. His death bowling when on song is solid. Pandya is a bits and pieces player. Jadhav is quite good in limited opportunities he had so far. His main issue is injuries. Rayadu isn't good enough outside Asia and it's time management sees this. Rather play Dhoni at 4 followed by DK and Jadhav. Also, why was DK dropped today?
Old 23rd January 2019, 18:59   #11523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Though NZ played with their A team, I would still like to wait for the series to get over before we can comment on our middle order. I am sure, their batsmen will start reading our spinners (same thing happened in England as well) and they may come back strongly in the remaining matches.
If an opposition scores more than 350, then I am still not sure whether Rayadu and Dhoni are right players in the middle order.
True, and with Kohli being rested for last 2 ODI's it will not be easy.
Old 24th January 2019, 11:27   #11524
PPS
Senior - BHPian

With his performances over the last couple of months, Shami has sealed the 3rd seamer's slot in the World Cup squad i feel. Will be very surprised if Khaleel makes the cut.

We need Pandya in the XI at the earliest, don't think Shankar is going to make it to the World Cup squad. Jadeja most likely should also be part of the squad as back-up incase Pandya gets injured, he's also the ideal substitute fielder.

No. 4 to 7 in the batting order remains a concern incase of a top order collapse. Will be very very surprised if India don't make it to the Semi-Finals.
Old 25th January 2019, 09:29   #11525
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Though NZ played with their A team, I would still like to wait for the series to get over before we can comment on our middle order. I am sure, their batsmen will start reading our spinners (same thing happened in England as well) and they may come back strongly in the remaining matches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I am still skeptical about our batting line up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Me too. Our middle order isn't stable, and our tail is long too.
Our team is too dependent on first 3 for most of the runs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Honestly, I expected a tough fight from NZ. Their middle order has some quality players, today they didn't click and neither did the openers.
Just picking up some of the views that represent a majority of the posts on this thread on the Indian team. Before the Australian series, the rule of the thread was we can not survive overseas. During and after the Australian series, it was a B-grade team that let us win (/draw) all the three formats; let alone forget the fact that we dominated them like no other team has down under over the last two decades.

And now we have beaten against one of the best (current) teams in the world, on their turf, on a match when they won the toss and at a ground where their record is very good; and yet we still have questions on the current team!

Guys,
Take a realistic view - we are never going to have a perfect 11; no team will be able to. It's up to the captain, coach and the team jointly to get the job done. Waugh, Ranatunga or Imran Khan didn't have perfect teams; far from it. But they made the best of what they had and won matches.

This team is doing that. If the top 3 doesn't score, someone from the middle order pulls up the socks. If one bowler doesn't take wickets, others do. There is no single pattern; there are multiple ones across the batsmen and bowlers. Yes, there are improvement areas, and there will be choices to be made; and some bad decisions that will be taken.

And lest we start rejoicing over our current situation, we need to remember about the above captains/teams; over their winning runs, they lost matches, they even lost big series. That's part and parcel of the job. And so will we (possibly this NZ series too).
Old 25th January 2019, 10:59   #11526
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw the score for the Eng-WI match and...77! Wow! Did anyone watch the match live? Was Roach just on fire or did England bat that badly?

BTW, is this just an 'India Cricket' thread? Don't seen any comments on any other matches than those involving our team, however spectacular they may be.
Old 25th January 2019, 11:45   #11527
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Just saw the score for the Eng-WI match and...77! Wow! Did anyone watch the match live? Was Roach just on fire or did England bat that badly?
Didn't watch it but I couldn't believe my eyes too. I was thinking England will dominate over the WI.

Quote:
BTW, is this just an 'India Cricket' thread?
Definitely NO...
Quote:
Don't seen any comments on any other matches than those involving our team, however spectacular they may be.
...however this is the observed pattern. I guess Indian cricket induces patriotism and inspires people to comment

The other day I was watching the SA and PAK 2nd ODI live. I slept late lost at least 90 mins of sleep because of that. But it was worth it to watch SA fight back amazingly well from 80-5 to win it 205-5. Phehlukwayo and Dussen played wonderfully mixing caution with aggression (with some luck and bad fielding from the opposition)
Old 25th January 2019, 11:53   #11528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

BTW, is this just an 'India Cricket' thread? Don't seen any comments on any other matches than those involving our team, however spectacular they may be.
Not at all. It's just that people like me barely get time to watch our team play let alone see others. Still, follow scores online.

Eng at 77 all out. Wow. I really underestimate windies in tests. Will be really great if windies win this one. No one was expecting it.
Old 25th January 2019, 12:40   #11529
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I saw the score at about 1am. Switched on the TV immediately and saw the game till the end. Poor batting against the short ball, more than anything. But it has set up the match quite well. Hetmeyer is a decent player though.

Also, Australian middle order seems to have got some form after all. Labuschagne and Head batting in the 70s.

Edit: I was surprised that Will Pucovski was left out of the playing 11, after all the hype surrounding his selection.

Edit 2: I follow all matches online. Now gunning for a Vidarbha Vs Saurashtra Ranji final. I would have preferred Rajasthan but they lost the QF.

Last edited by Eddy : 25th January 2019 at 12:44.
Old 26th January 2019, 10:28   #11530
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

New Zealand Vs India second ODI: After good knocks from openers and Kohli, India placed strongly at 254-3 in 43 overs. Dhoni and Rayudu at the crease. This is a great chance for Dhoni to play a different innings (aggressively) that will be a far cry from other recent matches where he had to steady the ship. I hope he is able to do that today. 320+ looks possible at least now, will be an interesting watch.

---------------------

West Indies Vs England test: what a match it's turning out to be for West Indies....and the exact opposite for England so far (77 all out in first innings) and chasing a 600+ score for a win in 4th innings.
Jason holder with a double century and Dowrich with a century helped West Indies reach 415/6 declared. I think at end of play on day 2 they were 127/6

Last edited by NPV : 26th January 2019 at 10:30.
Old 26th January 2019, 10:40   #11531
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
320+ looks possible at least now, will be an interesting watch.
320 seems debatable; current playing rate by Dhoni and Rayadu looks like we'll barely cross 300. This is a high scoring pitch; with second innings also seeing a lot of 250+ scores; so this match is not over by any stretch.

Rayadu moves into a safe zone with his ~50; which is a mixed situation if you ask me. His lone six was not very confidence inspiring; lets see what he does in next 5 overs.
Old 26th January 2019, 10:51   #11532
Distinguished - BHPian

Till 47 overs, India have pretty much maintained a flat 6RPO. No acceleration, no deceleration. With Dhoni and Jadhav at the crease...i expect the same to continue. 300 to 310 is where it'll settle down and I feel somewhere the team let the advantage go. We'll have a good match nonetheless. I expect a close one.

ENG Vs WI
From 120-6 to 415-6d amazing
WI have almost got this in thier kitty. Simple equation...they've got 2 full days to get 10 wickets!
Old 26th January 2019, 11:06   #11533
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
320 seems debatable; current playing rate by Dhoni and Rayadu looks like we'll barely cross 300.
We got to 324-4 in the end, thanks to a high scoring last over. I think new Zealand bowled very well in the last 12-13 overs (except the 50th over!).
Dhoni wasnt timing/striking very well, but came good along with Kedar Jadhav in the end to get the job done. With good bowling and fielding, this should be defendable.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th January 2019 at 12:06. Reason: Corrected typo. Thanks.
Old 26th January 2019, 11:09   #11534
Team-BHP Support

Man, look at Dhoni! There can be questions about his strike rate or his method but he seems almost vengeful! Four (almost, considering today's 48*) half-centuries consecutively this year.

Kohli must be rueing his luck; getting out at 40+ twice now on a loose shot.
Old 26th January 2019, 11:11   #11535
Oxy
BHPian

Rayudu and DK have their career strike rates in the early 70s, and since Dhoni is now undroppable, having one of them is going to suck all momentum in the death overs.

It's infuriating too see Shubhman Gill warming the bench.

Most Viewed