Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2019, 08:32   #11701
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Let's take it easy with the Tweet. All's not lost for anyone- https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/68921146.cms

Looks like Pant, Rayudu and Saini are going to have an all-expense trip to UK if nobody gets injured. *touch-wood*

I have my reservations about Shankar batting at #4. He can certainly finish an innings when he comes in at 2/260 in the 40th over. Can he rebuild if the side has lost Kohli and is 2/15 in the 7th over? I think we're going to see Dhoni at #4 (DK also plays) or Kohli at #4 (with Rahul at #3.)

This post is not to demean Shankar, but to emphasize that the WC is not the tournament to bed in new players.
Old 18th April 2019, 10:42   #11702
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I read somewhere that Kohli and the team think tank haven't decided on Vijay Shankar at #4, they want to keep it flexible (undecided at the moment but open to trying others as well in that spot).
Old 18th April 2019, 12:05   #11703
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Looks like Pant, Rayudu and Saini are going to have an all-expense trip to UK if nobody gets injured. *touch-wood*
Only Saini gets to travel to UK as a backup bowler along with 2 others to bowl in the nets. Rayadu & Pant stay put in India!
Old 18th April 2019, 13:02   #11704
BHPian

I'm glad to hear that BCCI is not considering any sanctions on Rayudu.
Quote:
"We have taken note of what Rayudu has tweeted. (But) Let's accept that emotions are running high at this moment. There is bound to be disappointment and there needs to be an outlet of expression as long as it's not out of line," a senior BCCI official said on Wednesday.

"He will need some time to soak in the disappointment and it's understandable. There is no need for sanctions. Also, he is one of our standbys. If any injury happens there is every chance, he would go," the official added.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 27th April 2019, 00:00   #11705
Team-BHP Support

Note from Support: Please continue world cup discussions on this thread

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...up-2019-a.html (ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019)

Since there is no other cricket happening till the WC ends (IPL has a separate thread (The IPL Thread)), closing this thread temporarily.
Old 11th June 2019, 01:04   #11706
BHPian

Re: ICC Cricket World Cup, 2019

So, my favorite cricketer retired today. I'm not much of an emotional person, but seeing my favorite player retire under such circumstances is saddening to say the least. I'd stick my neck out and say that he's the best match winner we'd got for a while. For now no 12 hangs it up and its time to relish his contributions.
My favorite innings is the one in Ahmedabad in 2011wc, but if others have other innings in mind please list it out and we can debate over it
Old 5th July 2019, 12:27   #11707
Team-BHP Support

Opening this thread for the A team discussion. World Cup discussions to remain on the other thread please.

Look at this India A squad - very very strong even though Shaw missed out because of injury. This is for A team ODIs in West Indies.

India A squad for the five one-dayers: Manish Pandey (capt), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Anmolpreet Singh, Shubman Gill, Shreyas Iyer, Hanuma Vihari, Ishan Kishan (WK), Rahul Chahar, Washington Sundar, Axar Patel, Krunal Pandya, Deepak Chahar, Khaleel Ahmed, Avesh Khan, Navdeep Saini

Axar Patel looks the only misfit.
Old 5th July 2019, 13:04   #11708
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Look at this India A squad - very very strong even though Shaw missed out because of injury. This is for A team ODIs in West Indies.
Is this end of the road for Saha? We have suddenly far too many capable wicketkeepers; probably always did but never needed to look beyond Dhoni. A problem of plenty: a first for India?
Old 5th July 2019, 13:25   #11709
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is this end of the road for Saha? We have suddenly far too many capable wicketkeepers; probably always did but never needed to look beyond Dhoni. A problem of plenty: a first for India?
I don't think Saha needs to prove form in an A game and this is the white ball squad anyway. If he is fit, he still should be the first choice keeper I think.

Then there is Sharath from Karnatak who I am tracking for a while - good player.

Saha
Pant
Ishan Kishan (I personally do not like him as a player)
Sharath

Problem of plenty indeed

Last edited by Eddy : 5th July 2019 at 13:30.
Old 5th July 2019, 14:55   #11710
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
though Shaw missed out because of injury.
Is it an injury or some other issue? From what i read he has some other issue pertaining to his attitude! BCCI is equally clueless. Hope he receives proper guidance throughout and not just a 1-on-1 session with Dravid once in a long while.
Old 5th July 2019, 14:57   #11711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Is it an injury or some other issue? From what i read he has some other issue pertaining to his attitude! BCCI is equally clueless. Hope he receives proper guidance throughout and not just a 1-on-1 session with Dravid once in a long while.
You are right, there seems to be something beyond a regular injury. Sad.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70068625.cms
Old 9th July 2019, 12:03   #11712
Team-BHP Support

Twitter is on fire since Ganguly's birthday yesterday.

Bhpian thoughts on this ?

https://twitter.com/cricketingview/s...921684992?s=19
Old 9th July 2019, 13:05   #11713
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Twitter is on fire since Ganguly's birthday yesterday.

Bhpian thoughts on this ?

https://twitter.com/cricketingview/s...921684992?s=19
Probably some fool who went through statsguru rather than actually having watched cricket at that time.

This is my opinion of Ganguly

- Average Test Batsman

- Very good ODI batsman (there were times I felt he was better than Tendulkar on non-flat pitches)

- Very good captain - only people who lived through 90s when we couldn't even win a test in Zimbabwe would understand this.

- He was a good captain more in terms of man management than in terms of strategy. He was overall a very defensive captain (I don't think that's bad) & strategy wise was quite average. But he was very good at leading the team & also was gutsy to drop senior players when they needed to be dropped.
Old 9th July 2019, 13:28   #11714
Distinguished - BHPian

As a teen who followed a lot of cricket during that time, I have no hesitation in saying that it was the John Wright and Ganguly combination that marks the turnaround for Indian cricket. Agree that Indian cricket witnessed some stalwarts during the same phase like Dravid, Sehwag, Laxman and of course, Tendulkar was always there since quite a few years but this was the time when the team started to look like one well oiled machinery, which was lacking since past so many years despite having greats like Tendulkar, Azhar, Srinath, Kumble etc in the team. Of course, some of those players were a part of that transformation as well. It was that phase where Indian team started to look more professional, more focused and all that started reflecting in their performance and increased %age of wins.

Also, alone on the basis of stats, one cannot compare the cricket that was played 20 years ago with the current form. It was a time when a strike rate of 70 was considered very good and bowler economy was good only if below 4 runs per over. Compare this with today & one will see where we are coming from.

Coming back to Ganguly, more than his contribution as a player, I will remember him as a great captain who managed to bring the team together & will credit him of changing the attitude of the team which now believed that they can win. Also, this marked a shift in perception of the Indian team in the minds of all cricket playing nations. I cannot say the same about Dravid's or Tendulkar's captaincy, even though Dravid happens to be my all time favorite batsman. I am not a fan of Ganguly's batting but we need to give credit where it is actually due.
Old 15th July 2019, 12:07   #11715
Team-BHP Support

Best ever cricket matches that I've seen and remember off hand (in no particular order)...
  • WC19 Final
  • T20WC07 Final
  • T20WC16 Final
  • 99WC Semi-final
  • 2005 Ashes final test
  • 2001 Ind Aus 2nd and 3rd Tests
  • Aus Vs SA 434 wala chase
  • 1999 India Pak in Chennai
  • 1996 WC QF against Pakistan
  • 2011 WC Final
  • Champions Trophy Final Ind v Eng
  • India Vs Pakistan - Hrishikesh Kanitkar four
  • Natwest Trophy Final - Yuvi, Kaif
  • VVS Last wicket victory 2010 vs Australia
  • Sachin defending 6 in the last over - Hero Cup
  • SL beating SA earlier this year - Kusal Perera 153*

Last edited by Eddy : 15th July 2019 at 12:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks