Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2019, 22:29   #11926
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Let's see what our batsmen can do, can we win ? Remains to be seen, fingers crossed.
Whoa, it was a "Super V" Virat Kohli show all the way for a splendid win with more than an over to spare He just demolished the West Indian bowling and their morale! K L.Rahul played well too for a good knock of 62.
Good way to bring up India's highest winning chase in T20Is so far.

Last edited by NPV : 6th December 2019 at 22:31.
Old 7th December 2019, 09:22   #11927
Distinguished - BHPian

Virat was 22(22) and trying to hit every ball hard. I was wondering what happened. Luckily Rahul on the other end was connecting the shots well and that allowed VK some time. From there to end up at 94(50)...it was a splendid show of batsmanship and power (his now trademark flick six to Cow corner )

I really don't know what happened behind the scenes, but he was super aggressive yesterday (even by his own standards). This has been a beaten to death topic but probably that allowed him to be in the game and that brought out the performance that we saw yesterday. His trolling of kesrick williams by mocking his book writing was just

It must be Pollard's tactics I'm pretty sure, everyone in the WI was trying to upset his rhythm but nothing worked. Taking a review to delay things, Pollard's age old ghing of not delivering the ball, talking things...nothing worked!!
The best thing about Kohli is he switches off all these things the moment the ball comes to him.

The worrying thing for us for the T20WC is Rishabh Pant...as usual throws away!
Old 7th December 2019, 09:33   #11928
KPR
BANNED

I don't know why Virat has got into contract signing mockery mood with Kesrick Williams when his bat speaks. Come on Virat cool down! It's hard on a newbie like Williams.The original video of Chadwick Walton giving back to Kesrick Williams is adorable and the duo should file copyright for that act!

Last edited by KPR : 7th December 2019 at 09:35.
Old 7th December 2019, 09:41   #11929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I don't know why Virat has got into contract signing mockery mood with Kesrick Williams when his bat speaks. Come on Virat cool down! It's hard on a newbie like Williams.The original video of Chadwick Walton giving back to Kesrick Williams is adorable and the duo should file copyright for that act!
William's mocked him by doing his notebook gesture when he dismissed Virat in Jamaica match earlier this year. Virat returned the gesture in Walton style

We needed the passionate and angry Virat back. He is at his best at that time. Also Rahul played a very mature innings and Pant made sure Run rate was maintained in his short stay. Although he still needs to work on his off side play. All in all a very entertaining match and kudos to Windies for stiff competition.
Old 18th December 2019, 23:07   #11930
BHPian

Shreyas Iyer has cemented his place in the team. But the interview if Kohli by Manjrekar was not very assuring. Did anyone feel the same or was it just me?

He was reluctant to appreciate Iyer's performance and still doubts his ability as a number 4 batsman.
Old 18th December 2019, 23:18   #11931
Team-BHP Support

Iyer is definitely in the side for the near future at least. And if he keeps his head, he is the next long term captaincy option as well. I like the kid.

I would not pay heed to anything that is said in a Manjrekar interview. That guy is a total jerk and it is surprising how he gets to keep his job series after series.
Old 19th December 2019, 09:01   #11932
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Iyer is definitely in the side for the near future at least. And if he keeps his head, he is the next long term captaincy option as well.
AFter a long time , saw atleast one side bat as our company forced us to take encashable leaves to reduce financial burden. I enjoyed seeing the batting by Hope and I was hoping that windies would not lose their wickets , but the target was stiff for them to surmount. I usually watch the match on mute as I cannot stand the commentary especially this panel.
Old 19th December 2019, 09:19   #11933
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Iyer is definitely in the side for the near future at least. And if he keeps his head, he is the next long term captaincy option as well. I like the kid.

I would not pay heed to anything that is said in a Manjrekar interview. That guy is a total jerk and it is surprising how he gets to keep his job series after series.
Never liked Sanjay Manjrekarn as a player and now even as a commentrator I have the same feeling.

But there has to be something which makes Iyer out of the team. Cannot wait to see what happens when Hardik Pandya, S Dhawan and Manish Pandey (if he is reckoning) Another player which is at Bay for no reason at all is S Samson. Pant is a one time hit player and not a reliable keeper as well.

And so true, Iyer is definitely a captain material. His calm and composed demeanour is such a blessing for Indian Cricket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
AFter a long time , saw atleast one side bat as our company forced us to take encashable leaves to reduce financial burden. I enjoyed seeing the batting by Hope and I was hoping that windies would not lose their wickets , but the target was stiff for them to surmount. I usually watch the match on mute as I cannot stand the commentary especially this panel.
Even at the back of my mind I wanted Pooran and Hope to continue and bring the match within winning margins. It would have been such a good test for our bowlers. But Shami has been so brilliant this year that it was difficult to get him to bowl and no wicket to fall.
Old 19th December 2019, 09:28   #11934
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Even at the back of my mind I wanted Pooran and Hope to continue and bring the match within winning margins. It would have been such a good test for our bowlers.
True, India's fielding was below par and the lives gifted to Hope and Pooran seemed to be taking the match away before Shami came back with his magic to get Pooran and Pollard out in consecutive deliveries.

I think the catch of Pooran taken by Kuldeep was the turning point as it lifted the spirits of the fielders and bowlers.

Rahul and Rohit gave the rest of the batsmen a super foundation and it was enjoyable watching Shreyas and Pant bat towards the end of the innings.
Old 19th December 2019, 11:57   #11935
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Shreyas Iyer has cemented his place at no.4 for the immediate future. But I don't really think he's a Kohli favourite! The player management has been terrible for a while now.

Since Hardik Pandya is injured, India are forced to play Jadeja. Thus, making one of Kul-Cha lose their spot in the 11! After the loss in the Champions Trophy some years back, it was thanks to Kul-Cha India tasted success as they picked wickets in the middle overs, but now they both are low on confidence! Partly due to the hammering they received from England in the World Cup 2019 & recently by WI. And also due to the team management obsession with having batting depth & their experimentation with Washington Sundar.
Old 19th December 2019, 12:05   #11936
Senior - BHPian

Odi world cup is long way away so I don't care how many experimentation they do in this format. But T20 world cup is next year and by now we should have a settled 13 players to pick from which isn't what's happening. This late stage experimentation cost us last world cup. I believe we should play both Chahal and Kuldeep in both formats. Our Top 5 is solid and if they won't make runs an extra batsman won't matter anyways. So, in place of jadeja I will prefer seeing Chahal playing. Iyer has been in great form since last 2 years and his Captaincy in IPL was also good. He could be developed as a successor to Kohli but as usual team management is sleeping.
Old 31st December 2019, 01:59   #11937
Senior - BHPian

http://<br /> https://www.espncricin...ay-tests<br />
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...four-day-tests
I welcome this change now
Quote:
However, the world's cricketers stand as the most likely source of opposition to the change, with many viewing the step up from four-day first-class games to five-day Tests as a critical point of difference at the top end of the long-form game.
I think we should give up this notion. The competition is not diluted as the best 11 players among all first class teams of a country form the test team.
Old 31st December 2019, 08:53   #11938
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
And so true, Iyer is definitely a captain material. His calm and composed demeanour is such a blessing for Indian Cricket.
Great to see a like minded person. Even I'm of the opinion that he's going to lead one day. The first few innings I saw him bat with command I thought this lad has a big future. All others got chance who didn't deserve or couldn't capitalise on the chance. Bad team selection to WC too. He should've been the two down player for the side since his debut. Let's come back to these posts of ours and take pride in our predictions.
Old 31st December 2019, 12:54   #11939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Great to see a like minded person. Even I'm of the opinion that he's going to lead one day. The first few innings I saw him bat with command I thought this lad has a big future. All others got chance who didn't deserve or couldn't capitalise on the chance. Bad team selection to WC too. He should've been the two down player for the side since his debut. Let's come back to these posts of ours and take pride in our predictions.
Hehe yeah. But then Kohli does not favour him much. Look at the amount of opportunities been given to Pant and so little to Iyer and Manish Pandey.

Shastri is the other guy who prefers Shankar, Pant, Hardik ...line up. Now that Shankar is almost out, I hope they give Iyer a long rope.

Kohli's interview in the last ODI was not very confidence inspiring where he directly mentioned that Iyer has not yet cemented his place and there are quite a few outside competitors for it.
Old 7th January 2020, 20:21   #11940
Distinguished - BHPian

India vs SL T20 but I'm watching a test match between Eng and SA. England trying hard to win and SA fighting not to lose. Test match at it's best. 9 out of 11 players are around the pitch.

The Cricket Thread-20200107_201807.jpg

Edit: And just as I finished writing this..Stokes has taken 2 in 2. England 1 wicket away.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 7th January 2020 at 20:22.

Most Viewed