Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2020, 22:20   #11986
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
But my personal wish would be to play Samson as a WK and make Rahul play at number 5.
Both Samson & Ishan Kishen are away in New Zealand touring with the 'A' team! I do not know of any other back-up other than KL, so he's forced to keep wickets now since tinkering seems to suit the team. If something happens to him, won't be surprised to see Kedar Kadhav keep wickets!
Old 16th January 2020, 22:26   #11987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Both Samson & Ishan Kishen are away in New Zealand touring with the 'A' team! I do not know of any other back-up other than KL, so he's forced to keep wickets now since tinkering seems to suit the team. If something happens to him, won't be surprised to see Kedar Kadhav keep wickets!
I know. He will keep wickets and hopefully the crowd won't show their anger of what happened today in the annual contract
Old 16th January 2020, 22:36   #11988
BHPian

Rather than have a contract for the year ahead, wouldn't it be more appropriate to reward based on the previous year performance? After all, isn't that how it works in most professions? It's not club cricket where one is "contracted" to be associated with that team for that period.
Old 17th January 2020, 06:47   #11989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
As an former fast bowler who played the red ball for my university, it makes my heart glad when I see Mitchell Starc, Cummins, Bumra. Nothing to beat the joy of seeing a beautiful outswinger beating the daylights out of a batsman
True. never had the joy of being fast or swinging a new ball.
but whatever little school/ college cricket I played, had the immense joy of an indipper going through the gate and taking out off stump. Even more so once as it was that of the college bully trying to show off.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:54   #11990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
What better exit would you suggest?
Don't know under what circumstances he took sabbatical. It is inconsistent from his regular personality and commitment he has demonstrated throughout the career.

There have been reports trickling, He would never play for India again (Ravi Shastri, Harbhajan etc.,), I would like to see him retire like a champion, definitely not in this fashion.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 17th January 2020 at 09:57.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:57   #11991
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

MSD does indeed have a chance of playing again - I think he has deferred his own final decision to the end of this year's IPL season. Post IPL, if he were to express his wish to play and make himself available, I think he will definitely be considered for the T20 WC.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:47   #11992
Team-BHP Support

It'll be a sight if he "forces" the selectors to pick him basis his IPL form and heroics. Would love see the great man smashing it at the IPL, not to forget the lightning-quick stumpings.
Old 17th January 2020, 12:57   #11993
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
There have been reports trickling, He would never play for India again (Ravi Shastri, Harbhajan etc.,),
Harbhajan himself hasn't officially retired yet! He continues to play IPL every year & does commentary stints in between. He knew long back that the door was shut on him. Have no idea on what Dhoni plans after IPL.
Old 17th January 2020, 13:13   #11994
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Dhoni will officially retire. I also don't think he will play any more international matches. He may want to go out without all these official press conferences and farewell matches. 'I am not available for selection' might just be his way of retiring.
Old 17th January 2020, 14:37   #11995
Distinguished - BHPian

Kohli in at #3 after Rohit out for 42 in the 14th over. A lot of people breathe easy.
Old 17th January 2020, 17:19   #11996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
And Rahul has played 'exceptionally' in the last 6 months?
Here is the stat for the last 12 months (ODIs only)

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/eng...;type=allround

I am sorry, I dont see anything exceptional. 2 Centuries, one against SL and another against WI. If you call that exceptional, I will have to disagree.
A player who can maintain and average of ~45 and reaching 1000 ODI runs in 27 innings (2nd fastest after Kohli) even though he is made to bat at different positions between 1 to 7 and can also keep wickets for you...and you think he is not exceptional...you are being rather too harsh on him I feel. With Today's innings, KLR has made a strong case for himself IMO.
Old 17th January 2020, 17:28   #11997
BHPian

I feel 340 is a below par score, if dew and the flat deck is taken into consideration.

In conditions where there is a lot of dew in the latter part of the day, games should finish at 630 pm.
Old 17th January 2020, 21:19   #11998
Team-BHP Support

From the massacre in the first ODI, the bowlers have been pretty good in this match. The yorkers by Shami and Saini in the death overs
Old 17th January 2020, 21:26   #11999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
From the massacre in the first ODI, the bowlers have been pretty good in this match. The yorkers by Shami and Saini in the death overs
30% have been Yorkers. Post Ajit and Zaheer, I really don't know if our bowlers bowled Yorkers so consistently. Great work.

Not to forget K L Rahuls keeping. He has been very good and gives Pant more headache now.
Old 17th January 2020, 21:30   #12000
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
He has been very good and gives Pant more headache now.
Not the best choice of words.

Yes, Pant isn't working out too well. I hope this Kul/Cha - Jadeja experiment is resolved one way or another. Rahul has made the most of his chances: one decent score as No. 3, one really good score at No. 4 and good keeping.

EDIT: the bowlers saved us the blushes today. This wasn't a safe score.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th January 2020 at 21:32.

Most Viewed