Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2020, 20:10   #12181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Ms Dhoni announces his retirement from international cricket through Instagram Post

The Cricket Thread-smartselect_20200815200626_instagram.jpg

The Cricket Thread-20200815_200253.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CD6ZQn1...d=usjtqy1h1gp2
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:16   #12182
Distinguished - BHPian

Legend of the game, one of the greatest captain ever. Wish he had played one last game in India before fizzing out.

Wish him the very best in his life post international cricket, I am sure we will see atleast couple of more season of him in IPL.
Old 15th August 2020, 20:26   #12183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Dhoni is terrific leader and man-manager, who held the team after the Greg Chappell disaster. He managed the team with greats and later with newcomers after the greats retired.

In cricket, wicket keeping is a difficult and thankless job. Bowlers, fielders can relax but a wicket keeper has to be on the game and focus for every single delivery. Being a captain is a demanding tasks. He has to work with coach on tactics, strategy & plans off field. He must work on his team mates' game and also his game. On field, he must be one or two overs ahead in the game and must have control over his team mates & over rate.

So it extremely difficult to be a captain and a wicketkeeper. Dhoni has done it in all forms of the game and for all teams he has played. Probably he is the most successful wicketkeeper-captain in the history of the game. That is an achievement and hats of to him. Indian cricket is blessed to have a player like Dhoni.
I had shared this snippet on Dhoni in 2015. Can't believe its already 5 years since that post, but it is still valid and will be valid till we get a Wicketkepper-Batman-Captain, who can claim his place in playing 11 with just one of those skills.

One last addition - Dhoni is the greatest finisher in the history of limited overs cricket. Hats off to the man.

Last edited by msdivy : 15th August 2020 at 20:34.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 20:49   #12184
BHPian

M.S. Dhoni proved that apart from the skill of the sport, you also need to have a good decisive brain to succeed. That combination matters a lot.

If Team India is where it is today, lots and lots of Credit goes to MS. No doubt services of Mahi will be missed, but this had to happen one day. He has done his job, and done well! Now its time for others to carry forward the team to even greater successes, just the way Mahi carried forward after Sourav Ganguly (another person who changed the way Team India played the game) retired.

His contribution to the team, youngsters has been immense and will be remembered forever.

I wish Mahendra Singh Dhoni a great life ahead.
Old 15th August 2020, 20:52   #12185
BHPian

Re: MS Dhoni's impressive car and bike collection

As we admire the excellent and superb collection of MS Dhoni's Garage, the legend has silently stepped back and retired from all forms of international cricket from today.

He announced this via his Instagram handle today with a short video clip of his memories.

I'm so damned right now. I can't explain the extreme sadness i'm going through thinking about not seeing the Captain again on field.

And as rjabhinavv states: "Helicopter services has been suspended eternally"

You will always remain my captain!!!

Mods: If you can shift this to the cricket thread, it would be great since I didn't know of it earlier
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-msd.jpg  

Last edited by chiefpk : 15th August 2020 at 20:58. Reason: A request
Old 15th August 2020, 21:05   #12186
Senior - BHPian

Raina too joins him.

The Cricket Thread-screenshot_202008152103542.png

Link

Last edited by SoumenD : 15th August 2020 at 21:19.
Old 15th August 2020, 21:09   #12187
BHPian

Will dearly miss MS Dhoni as one of the men in blue. The silver lining is that we'll get to see him in IPL for another two years.

Perfect time to watch some of his greatest knocks, of course including the match winning knock in the 2011 WC final.

Raina's retirement is saddening, considering he's such a great & reliable player with loads of experience. Wishing both of these legends all the very best for their future.
Old 16th August 2020, 07:06   #12188
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, it's official! I like Dhoni for this...all 3 of his retirement announcements were low key affairs compared to what we have seen from players with similar fame.

With Dhoni's announcement, Cricket will miss one of the best wicket keeper and one of the best minds of the game! Apart from very rare moments he never got carried away by the situation in the match. Although his game was unorthodox, he made sure it is effective.

The only International game I watched live in the stadium with him playing was the T20 Quarterfinals vs Bangladesh in Bengaluru. The way he held his cool in the last over got us that victory. This among many more nail biting finishes he gave are so memorable. He had lost that finishing touch in him but that's negligible.

IMO he will make a very good coach or administrator and I wish he returns back in those roles. I would want him there more than as a commentator. From what I've read him, I think he'll do just that. Anyway that's still sometime away as we'll see him in Yellow Jerseys for couple more years.

PS: the song he chose for this latest retirement announcement is just PERFECT! Loved it!

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 16th August 2020 at 07:07.
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 07:31   #12189
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

All good things must come to an end and so it is with MS Dhoni's career. He has given his best always and he will be missed by everyone, the team and spectators for whom he made their poora paisa vasool with his performances in so many thrilling games.

I hope he goes on to play a role in nurturing future talent for the country.
Old 16th August 2020, 09:04   #12190
Senior - BHPian

I used to enjoy watching him play earlier, last few years, not so much. It is good that he decided to hang his boots. He is 39+ and already lost his touch.

I remember reading and discussing about him with my then colleagues sometime in 2003/04 when he was not popular. We were so happy when he scored runs for India-A in 2004. I still remember my colleague's call informing me about Dhoni's inclusion in Indian team.
Old 16th August 2020, 14:46   #12191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Raina too joins him.
Very apt, illustrates their match finishing skills.
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20200816143944.png
msdivy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th August 2020, 14:50   #12192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Very apt, illustrates their match finishing skills.
In a breakfast with champs interview, Virat Kolhi had commented that his best running partner was MSD. Why, because Dhoni instinctively knew how to convert 1 into 2 and while taking a run, he would indicate to VK to run for two.
And Kolhi mentions that he implicitly trusted Dhoni's instincts in these times.
That cartoon is very apt.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 10:54   #12193
Team-BHP Support

It was good to see the Pak bowlers troubling the English batters in seaming conditions. Lets hope the weather holds up for the final test starting this week - it's the same venue.
Old 29th August 2020, 12:01   #12194
Senior - BHPian

Was watching Eng vs pak yesterday and weather again played spoilsport. Stadiums in England should be all covered ones otherwise there is no point wasting everyone's time.

So Raina has returned home and will miss IPL. Chahar and 10 others are covid positive. CSK is in a tough spot now. Was looking forward to IPL but if this continues they may have to even shelve it.
Old 24th September 2020, 16:01   #12195
Senior - BHPian

Australian Cricket Legend Dean Jones Dead

Quote:
Former Australian cricket legend Dean Jones has died of a massive heart attack. Jones was part of Star Sports commentary team and was in a bio-secure bubble in a seven-star hotel in Mumbai. He was 59. Dean Jones has been an active cricket analyst and was signed up to do off-tube commentary on the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 now underway in UAE.
https://www.outlookindia.com/website...es-dead/360836

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 24th September 2020 at 16:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks