Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2020, 15:59   #12316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Rohit Sharma clears fitness test, set to join Team India in Australia. He has completed his rehabilitation process at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru and is now clinically fit. He has been rehabilitating and training at NCA since 19th November following a high-grade left hamstring injury suffered during IPL.

Source
Old 13th December 2020, 09:52   #12317
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

India played well in the second innings of the pink ball practice game after struggling in the first inning.
I think the Aussies have already sorted Prithwi Shaw while others like Shubman, Mayank, Hanuma Vihari have applied themselves and played well.

I hope KL Rahul (instead of Shaw) will open with Mayank. Saha didn't play very well in the practice game and didn't keep as well, so not sure if he has recovered fully. If he hasn't, Pant will keep and he also impressed with the bat in the practice game.

However, hope our players don't get complacent/overconfident because sometimes form in practice games don't carry forward to the real international games
Old 13th December 2020, 10:25   #12318
Senior - BHPian

Mayank
Vihari
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
KL
Saha
Ashwin
Shami
Bumrah
Umesh
Old 13th December 2020, 14:52   #12319
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I hope KL Rahul (instead of Shaw) will open with Mayank.
I think Shubman Gill will open the innings with Mayank Agarwal. KL hasn't played this pink ball practice game. Only chance of KL playing is in the 2nd Test when Virat goes back home. And as per reports, Rohit Sharma is flying down to Australia & will be available for 3rd & 4th Test. So Rohit replaces KL, unless Gill does very badly.
Old 13th December 2020, 15:08   #12320
Oxy
BHPian

It would be criminal of we don't pick the guys in form. My preferred eleven for the first test would be:

Mayank
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Vihari
Pant
Ashwin
Shami
Bumrah
Saini
Old 13th December 2020, 18:09   #12321
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
It would be criminal of we don't pick the guys in form. My preferred eleven for the first test would be:

Mayank
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Vihari
Pant
Ashwin
Shami
Bumrah
Saini
I would pick Jadeja in place of Ashwin & Umesh in place of Saini.
Old 13th December 2020, 18:18   #12322
Team-BHP Support

Jadeja has a concussed hamstring so cannot play.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:37   #12323
KPR
BANNED

Where is our old Monk Murali Vijay in the squad? He has the temperament to tire out bowlers.
Old 14th December 2020, 09:42   #12324
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Where is our old Monk Murali Vijay in the squad? He has the temperament to tire out bowlers.
Not in the team since his last test against Australia in Dec 2018 I think. Currently, he is out of contention and rightly so since he is way past his prime.
Old 14th December 2020, 10:56   #12325
Senior - BHPian

This should ideally be the line up for first test barring injuries.

Mayank
Gill
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Vihari
Pant
Ashwin
Shami
Bumrah
Umesh/Siraj

However our always drunk coach and over the top Captain always messes up the selection so I fully expect an out of form Shaw to open and get out within a couple of overs..

I would prefer Siraj over Umesh considering the swing he was getting with the pink ball but Umesh might play just cos of experience. Saini was quite medicore, he is like Shaun Tait, all pace with no swing and control on what length to bowl at test level. He may learn as his career progresses but right now should only be back up in case someone gets injured.
Old 14th December 2020, 11:02   #12326
Team-BHP Support

Virat has a difficult decision to make between Pant and Saha. Both have their own merits and any decision he makes will be criticized in hindsight if Pant drops one or Saha does not score.
Eddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:06   #12327
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Virat has a difficult decision to make between Pant and Saha. Both have their own merits and any decision he makes will be criticized in hindsight if Pant drops one or Saha does not score.
Wondering if Saha is fully fit since he didn't keep wickets in the practice game. Hope he is alright, he's definitely the best Wicketkeeper and he can make a difference converting difficult/half chances against a team like Australia. At the same time, I hope if chosen his batting will come good because we need that lower order batting strength. Tough choice indeed!
Old 14th December 2020, 11:14   #12328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wondering if Saha is fully fit since he didn't keep wickets in the practice game. Hope he is alright, he's definitely the best Wicketkeeper and he can make a difference converting difficult/half chances against a team like Australia. At the same time, I hope if chosen his batting will come good because we need that lower order batting strength. Tough choice indeed!
Saha was fielding and took a diving catch as well. It seems VK will play Pant so gave him the gloves. Or maybe Saha does not need practice with the gloves, so Pant was being given some time.

And with Virat you never know, maybe both of them will play and Vihari will open.
Old 14th December 2020, 11:16   #12329
Senior - BHPian

Any thoughts on the recent tactics used by the English ?
https://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...1c904000813f6c

Have we really got to a point where the captain needs to look at the dressing room to get instructions? Seems nonsensical to me as International players are of the highest quality.

It is one thing to analyze data to discuss strategy & match-ups before the game, but another thing to have a live stream through codes. This undermines the captain as I'm sure most analysts have never played the game at the highest level and don't know the ground reality.

Excited for some quality red-ball cricket. I hope to see Rahul & Mayank open in the first test. I think Shaw might open the 2nd test along with Rahul at 4. Pujara & Rahane need to score heavily for us to win this series.

My prediction: 2-1 in favour of Australia, but will be a closely fought series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I think it's time ICC rethinks ODI
I think the ODI format is there to stay. I'd prefer to see rules shift in favour of the fielding side - ex: 5 or 6 fielders outside the ring excluding powerplays. I hate seeing these 350+ totals nearly every single game.

I'd like to see ICC get rid of (or discourage) bi-lateral T20Is (for all test playing nations) and just have T20 WCs.
Old 14th December 2020, 14:40   #12330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Excited for some quality red-ball cricket. I hope to see Rahul & Mayank open in the first test. I think Shaw might open the 2nd test along with Rahul at 4. Pujara & Rahane need to score heavily for us to win this series.

My prediction: 2-1 in favour of Australia, but will be a closely fought series.
Pujara has to be his natural best. Block as many balls as possible and runs will come for him at his own pace. Rahane has to get 300-400 runs this series. Mayank has to take off from his form from the tests from previous Aus tour. If these can happen, we can atleast draw the series if not sneak a win.

Ishant played a stellar role giving away runs at a miserly 1.5-2.5 RPO as the third bowler. He picked 1 or 2 wickets an innings and him not giving runs made other bowlers get wickets. Have to see who does this role perfectly this series. The roles of third and fourth bowlers not giving away runs and yet picking a few wickets is going to determine our chances. This assuming that our top two bowlers stick to their guns and pick wickets.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed