Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2021, 09:13   #12976
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Just thinking out of the box.

Why not have Ajinkya Rahane to Lead in a couple of tests vs England, and cheeko lead the other 2 versions.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:23   #12977
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/55730099

Looks like it was not just our boys who were unhappy about the quarantine rules surrounding sports tournaments in Australia.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:41   #12978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Let's not forget the selfless Rahul Dravid who played a key role in the success of these youngsters. The A tours he meticulously charted over the last few years is paying rich dividends now. Who would have thought we will beat Aussies at Gabba with this second string team. Hats off to BCCI to place someone at a suitable post who's truly giving it back to the game.
The Cricket Thread-esg1bblvkaankg.jpg
Source: https://twitter.com/satishacharya/st...60878781390849

WhatsApp forward:
The Cricket Thread-whatsappdravid.jpeg

Last edited by msdivy : 21st January 2021 at 11:43.
msdivy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 19:52   #12979
BHPian

Very honest interview from Hanuma...https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/a...e-then-1248681
Old 21st January 2021, 20:26   #12980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
As much as I admire Sundar, I don't think he is ready to play the role of an attacking wicket taking spinner on Indian tracks just yet.
That's exactly my thought.
He exceeded all my expectations at Gabba, both with bat and ball.
But I think he's bowling style is more suited to white-ball cricket, relying more on variations in pace than spin.

If you see how Smith got out to him, looked like he was playing for orthodox spin, but the ball didn't spin as much and he got out playing for spin. Other 2 wickets he got in first innings were yorker-length 'bowled'.
Batsmen will realize it sooner than later and they will sort him out in tests.
I am sure he will make progress if given enough chances, though.
Old 21st January 2021, 20:50   #12981
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post

Why not have Ajinkya Rahane to Lead in a couple of tests vs England, and cheeko lead the other 2 versions.
Cheeku is as power hungry as they come, and unfortunately he calls the shots. So it's wishful thinking at best.
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2021, 21:56   #12982
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Cheeku is as power hungry as they come, and unfortunately he calls the shots. So it's wishful thinking at best.
Virat has done no wrong as Red ball captain, he is very aggressive and really pushes for a win. Don't see why he should be changed, if anything, Jinks should work a little more on his batting, One big innings a series is not enough, need more from him while batting. When he bats he always looks edgy, as if he will get out any minute.

Read below, the seed for MCG was sowed by Kohli before he left, i don't like him as the white ball captain, but with red ball he is amazing.

How MCG was won

Also this series needs to be made in a web series by BCCI, they should sell it to Netflix and let them work the magic. Player interviews, they can actually use match footage, and also will get a lot of behind the scene footage. What a blockbuster that would be.

Last edited by AtheK : 21st January 2021 at 22:00.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 18:11   #12983
BHPian

The enormity of the win has not sunk in yet for me. Some claimed the 2018/19 Test series win in Aus was bigger than World Cup. I disagreed then but I must admit this 2020/21 series win is equal to winning a World Cup. Amazing resilience and guts shown on the field by an Indian team.

Reminded of a match against England at Lords in 1986. I was 3 months old then but have seen the footage of this match later. India needed 134 against England in the 4th Innings and they would lose their 5th wicket for 110. Anyone even remotely familiar with the Indian team then would remark that it was Advantage England even if only 24 were to be scored with the last 5 wickets at hand.

In walked the captain Kapil Dev. He scored 23 runs of the next 10 balls with 3 fours and a six of one single over. SWAG!!! Kapil Dev was like that no nonsense player and maybe how he inspired the team win 1983 WC.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/...full-scorecard

We could see this attitude in the team which won Gabba. Gill played a terrific knock upfront taking on Starc. Pujara played an equally important innings in a dogged manner and even he took on Starc and flayed him over gully for fours. The captain walked in and showed no signs of going for a draw. People may not look at his small cameo of 24 of 21 balls with a six off Lyon as a significant one but it showed intent and that we were not going for a draw. Pant should be the Indian Punter. What a risk taker he is. We would have mocked him had he got out stumped or caught at long-on but he played the way he plays. No wonder Sehwag was excited by the innings.

As Indian fans, I think we are making a mistake of thinking of settling for a draw or by claiming that we would be all out by tea on the fifth day. We need to be positive and back our team to win, not abuse them and mock them when they take risks in pursuit of victory. Because these pursuits are what give us great cricketing moments like Gabba. This is my takeaway as a fan from this series. Listening to Aussie commentators on air is quite revealing. They back their team to the hilt and always talk about winning only. I was not expecting a decent series at the start knowing Kohli would return mid way. I never expected even a decent series after Adelaide. And then the magic happened.
whencut86 is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 03:41   #12984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I know we can point fingers at VKs (and Shastri'ss) team selection & strategy at times. But he does deserve credit for building this side after Dhoni's retirement.

I don't know whether it is the right time to replace Virat as captain, but I do know that Rahane has displayed excellent leadership skills. A good leadership group built around Rahane, Kohli, and Puajara will definitely help the youngsters (and Rohit Sharma - sorry had to pick on him) in the Indian team go a long way. It'll also help the youngsters through a smooth transition in 3-5 years from now as VK, Pujara, and Rahane might be on the verge of retirement/being dropped.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 23rd January 2021 at 03:44.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:35   #12985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
The captain walked in and showed no signs of going for a draw. People may not look at his small cameo of 24 of 21 balls with a six off Lyon as a significant one but it showed intent and that we were not going for a draw.
Quite true. That six in the context of the game was a big statement by the Indians. Paine had to regulate the attack mode from then on and it shook them off that we were eyeing a win.

Meanwhile, a brilliant piece by Mark Nicholas on our win

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/m...e-love-1248673

I'm still basking in the glory of that win and combing through all possible piece written on Gabba and the series win

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 23rd January 2021 at 08:42.
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:51   #12986
BHPian

People: How can you watch a test match for 5 days? It's boring.

Me: after the india-Australia series and waiting for the next one
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-138418051_10164625103170072_932947294504337918_n.jpg  

Avinash_R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:57   #12987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
I know we can point fingers at VKs (and Shastri'ss) team selection & strategy at times. But he does deserve credit for building this side after Dhoni's retirement.

I don't know whether it is the right time to replace Virat as captain, but I do know that Rahane has displayed excellent leadership skills. A good leadership group built around Rahane, Kohli, and Puajara will definitely help the youngsters (and Rohit Sharma - sorry had to pick on him) in the Indian team go a long way. It'll also help the youngsters through a smooth transition in 3-5 years from now as VK, Pujara, and Rahane might be on the verge of retirement/being dropped.
Rahane has shown better understanding and maturity in the test series.

Kohli's arrogance shows on the field, used to jell earlier but no more.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:58   #12988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I'm still basking in the glory of that win and combing through all possible piece written on Gabba and the series win
My new timepass is watching the reactions from the neighbours. Many of them are very appreciative of Dravid for the bench strength and critical of purchi system prevailing in their country.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:16   #12989
BHPian

R Ashwin conducts an interview with the fielding coach of Team India, R Sridhar on Ashwin's YouTube channel. The interview is in Tamil. Do turn on the subtitles.

Pay particular attention to advise Coach Shastri gave Ashwin in the morning of the Melbourne test - around 14.00 minutes.

This one is about the Sydney test.

Last edited by Ithaca : 23rd January 2021 at 09:26.
Ithaca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 13:02   #12990
BHPian

Now that we have a good bench and can almost field two good teams on the field, the team management should start to manage the work load on the players. With IPL and all the international matches, the Indian team has more working days than any other team in the world, this takes a toll on their bodies, no matter how fit they are. The fast bowlers should be preserved, now that we have a good pool of fast bowlers it's not that hard to rotate them, and still have a good pace attack available with the team. This will also give more exposure to the young fast bowlers.

Also, the Board should continue the practice of U19 and India 'A' tours. I completely understand the decision of Dravid to take up the job at NCA, Bangalore rather than the coaching duties, for personal reasons, but we have VVS Laxman, who I believe can take the role of a mentor and stress upon the importance of hard work and application.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks