Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2021, 17:52   #13096
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
And as expected the moaning begins. Michael Vaughan at it this time.

Why is a spinning pitch not considered sporting enough? How come a green top at Lords is a good pitch, but not a spinning pitch at Chepauk is not?
Did Vaughan complain of the pitch and conditions when Root marched his way to a double hundred in the first test? How sore can Vaughan be?
jkrishnakj is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 18:06   #13097
BHPian

Did someone notice the throwing of Helmet by Ben Stokes when he reached Pavillion after getting bowled by a beauty from Ashwin. Imagine the furore that would have been there, if any Indian player had done this!
Old 15th February 2021, 19:23   #13098
Senior - BHPian

Ashwin has a chance to achieve 10 wickets and 100 in a test match here. That will take him into the league of truly great all-rounders. Why he does not get featured in ODI is a real surprise. Wonder what Kuldeep and Chahal bring over him in one-day matches.

Kohli showed how the difference in skillset matters in difficult pitches. On another note, he should learn a thing about behaving in the field. The way he reacted to Root's review decision was not a great sight to watch. With that kind of skill, he is a role model for many youngsters. So the way he behaves in the field also has a big impact on the next generation.
padmrajravi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:16   #13099
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
And as expected the moaning begins. Michael Vaughan at it this time.

Why is a spinning pitch not considered sporting enough? How come a green top at Lords is a good pitch, but not a spinning pitch at Chepauk is not?
A whining Pom is a normal sight. Hardly breaking news
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 20:38   #13100
BHPian

My take on the pitches seen in the Chennai tests -

1. Even though I am sure we'll win this game by a huge margin, and probably with a day to spare, they are not good wickets, period.
Even Manjrekar thinks so

2. If winning a toss gives a *huge* advantage to a team it's not a good pitch

3. If a match doesn't last at least 12 sessions due to ball/pitch doing too much it's not a good pitch

4. If opposition batsmen look like sheep going into slaughter house due to condition of the pitch, after your turn to bat is done, it's not a good pitch

I am sure there will be so many people disagreeing with me, but it's just my opinion...
Old 15th February 2021, 20:52   #13101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
My take on the pitches seen in the Chennai tests -

1. Even though I am sure we'll win this game by a huge margin, and probably with a day to spare, they are not good wickets, period.
Even Manjrekar thinks so

2. If winning a toss gives a *huge* advantage to a team it's not a good pitch

3. If a match doesn't last at least 12 sessions due to ball/pitch doing too much it's not a good pitch

4. If opposition batsmen look like sheep going into slaughter house due to condition of the pitch, after your turn to bat is done, it's not a good pitch

I am sure there will be so many people disagreeing with me, but it's just my opinion...
Just one question to all points raised by you, how were Kohli and Ashwin able to play better then in 3rd innings compared to how England fared in Second innings, when pitch was obviously better to bat on. We can discuss Pitch is good or bad, but if the team batting second won't make the 1st innings count, most of the time they will end up losing.

We suffered a similar thing in 1st test, if we had applied ourselves better in 2nd innings we might have saved the match. Also as per your view point the 1st match went all the way to second last session, and again referring to what I said before, if India had applied themselves better, they might have saved the match.

Toss gives an advantage to pretty much any team, and maybe a little more in sub continent, but if you bat well in your 1st innings batting Second, you can always save the match.

Last edited by AtheK : 15th February 2021 at 20:53.
Old 15th February 2021, 21:05   #13102
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My take on the pitches seen in the Chennai tests
Well, these are good points but let's not be judgemental.

In reality, England applied themselves very well when batting during the first test and outplayed India to win and it's the exact opposite in this test, yes the odd ball seems to turn/keep low/bounce unpredictably. I really think both teams are of equal strength and it's really the edge one team gets when they bat, bowl and field better. Kohli and Ashwin proved that if one is patient and focused, one can score runs on this pitch. Ashwin had some luck going his way with couple dropped catches and a stumping but can't take anything away from his rather gritty performance.

Oh, on Manjrekar's thoughts, I wouldn't take them too seriously, we all know how and what he talks

And by the way, Mark Butcher mentioned in the post match show that he didn't think the pitch was a bad one nor unplayable or unsporting. In fact he gave the same example of Kohli and Ashwin's batting today.

Generally, most teams find it difficult to play out overs patiently in tests, though there have been some recent exceptions which is good for the revival of the game.

Last edited by NPV : 15th February 2021 at 21:07.
Old 15th February 2021, 21:15   #13103
Senior - BHPian

"When they make such pitches in England, where cows and buffaloes can come and graze, then no one complaints about it"

~SUNIL GAVASKAR

Epic troll !

https://www.republicworld.com/sports...in-splits.html

https://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/rep...debate-2875407

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 15th February 2021 at 21:22.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th February 2021, 22:21   #13104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Now I should be proud that we have a player like Ashwin for his all round ability.
Is it only me, I feel Ashwin is more confident while he is batting than while bowling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
Ashwin has a chance to achieve 10 wickets and 100 in a test match here.
That will make him the 4th player in history to achieve this. He made a record in 1st test - the first spinner in over 100 years to get a wicket off first ball of an innings.
Quote:
England bowlers couldn't exploit the pitch during Indian innings. This is similar to Indian fast bowlers bowling failing on a green top overseas. Kudos to Indian batsmen for applying at the wicket and capitalizing on bad deliveries. England is in this situation because their batsmen failed in 1st innings. Just like Indian batsmen couldn't get to England score in 1st innings of 1st test.

Last edited by msdivy : 15th February 2021 at 22:23.
Old 15th February 2021, 23:09   #13105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
"When they make such pitches in England, where cows and buffaloes can come and graze, then no one complaints about it"

~SUNIL GAVASKAR

Epic troll !

https://www.republicworld.com/sports...in-splits.html

https://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/rep...debate-2875407
Sunny G was on fire today.

When Pujara got out he mentioned sarcastically- I believe it's the pitch fault that his bat got stuck into it

Also, someone mentioned Manjrekar below, he and Vaughan along with Warne are absolute rubbish in making statements. Manjrekar lost all his credibility when he mentioned Jadeja as a bits and pieces player. Statistically Jaddu is the best all rounder India has produced after Kapil Dev.

Let's add Ashwin to that list too. What a brilliant 100. Except for that one chance of Broad bowling he was literally flawless in whole innings. What a slap on the faces of so called analysts and pundits who have been crying bad pitch since day one. India batted 190 overs total on this pitch. No team can bat so long if its a bad pitch. 2018 Lords game was over in 180 overs. Where was all this hue and cry of bad pitch then?

Anyways, Kohli batted so well and then ruined it with that exchange with umpire. Absolutely needless and stupid. May cost him the next match as he already has demerit points.

Last edited by harry10 : 15th February 2021 at 23:10.
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 12:49   #13106
Senior - BHPian

And a beautiful victory to wrap things up early on the 4th day itself. A pity that Ashwin couldn't manage the 10 Wickets / 100 runs in the same match. That would have made it more sweeter.

This clearly means that we will see rank tuners being dished out at Ahmedabad as well.

We need one more victory and atleast a draw in the remaining two tests to make it to the finals of the world test champions finals.

I wouldn't be surprised if England makes a stronger come back and puts up a much tougher fight in the remaining two tests. Lets see.

The tests have their unique charms as well.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:34   #13107
BHPian

I just hope that AUS will not sneak into the WTC final, if IND and ENG cancel out each other with 1-1 or 2-2 draw?
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-euvlamwxeai_k6_.jpg  

kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2021, 13:37   #13108
BHPian

Strange to see that Kuldeep was given only 12 odd overs to bowl in the entire match that too on a turning wicket.

The 6 odd overs in the second innings fetched 2 wickets and ended the match, but he was brought on only after 40+ overs (as an afterthought?).
Old 16th February 2021, 13:53   #13109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
Strange to see that Kuldeep was given only 12 odd overs to bowl in the entire match that too on a turning wicket.

The 6 odd overs in the second innings fetched 2 wickets and ended the match, but he was brought on only after 40+ overs (as an afterthought?).
Couldn't be helped. Axar was bowling beautifully and Ashwin is always on the button. Kuldeep could only bowl when one of them gets a breather. He mentioned it himself in post match interview that his job was to support Axar and Ashwin and to make sure when he bowls not to give easy runs.

100 for Rohit, fifities for Kohli, Rahane. 100 for Ashwin and 8 wickets in match. Fifer for Axar. Gill and Pujara missed out. Ishant and Siraj didn't have much to do considering the pitch. 50 for Pant and excellent keeping. Overall team performed well as a unit throughout.

It will be interesting to see what wicket curator prepares for pink ball game.
Old 16th February 2021, 13:58   #13110
Team-BHP Support

Congrats everyone. Pink ball test coming up.

So, in all likelihood, one spinner will be replaced by a seamer so Kuldeep for Bumrah seems the obvious choice.

Would India also want to swap Axar with Shardul?

How did the new ground and pitch play during the recently held Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy?

Most Viewed