Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2021, 09:20   #13396
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2eternity View Post
Slightly off topic

Watching the recently concluded England - New Zealand test match gave me a weird thought.

The England Cricket Team could well be used to write a story on the evolution of Humans. How? Read on -

They have the natural resources to begin with in Mark WOOD and Olly STONE
Humans were foragers and gatherers, known to eat directly from the trees and hence they have Joe ROOT to fill their stomachs
Scavenging for food meant that inevitably humans would encounter Jack LEACH
Learning to hunt was an important step and hence we have Jofra ARCHER
Raw meat was more edible when prepared well, or as we can say - Alastair COOK
Cooking also meant they mastered the use of fire thus resulting in less injuries and for that its Rory BURNS
As cooking matured, restaurants could be opened, the most popular being Stuart BROADway. Here, one would even get their own Jos BUTLER
The expenses for your stay and meals could be settled by Sam BILLINGS
And to oversee the whole human civilization, we always need Ollie POPE

Cheers - no offense meant to anyone
This is fantastic creativity. Thanks for sharing.

Adding 2 more-

Ben Stoked naturally by Silver wood
Ananthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 20:40   #13397
Senior - BHPian

Here's TeamIndia's Playing XI for the World Test Championship 2021 Final.

The Cricket Thread-20210617_203338.jpg

Finally something to look forward to.

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 17th June 2021 at 20:42.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2021, 21:51   #13398
BHPian

Waiting for the first ever WTC finals to get underway. However, the weather at Southampton could play spoilsport as rain is predicted for all five days
Here is the today’s status update by Cricinfo on their Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/espncricinfo/sta...2453249?s=21TC
Old 17th June 2021, 22:06   #13399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Waiting for the first ever WTC finals to get underway. However, the weather at Southampton could play spoilsport as rain is predicted for all five days

Not sure why would they choose England with that Fickle weather and on top of it, final is not even happening at Lords. Guess we need to be mentally prepared for few days for some frustrating wait times.
Old 18th June 2021, 00:47   #13400
Senior - BHPian

Keeping in mind that most recent victories are due to Pant + lower order batters. Knowing India's batting woes, many 'pundits' were expecting Vihari to play and have 4 bowlers (1 spinner + 3 pacers). But we know captains under Shastri think 5 bowlers.

My only wishlist - Rohit and Gill respect the conditions for the first couple of hours.

On the note, the next WTC cycle should give more weightage to away game victories between closely ranked sides. Indian victories in Australia should get more points than Indian victories in West Indies. (No disrespect meant to WI, but Australia & India are closely ranked)

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 18th June 2021 at 00:49.
Old 18th June 2021, 10:52   #13401
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, the weather at Southampton could play spoilsport as rain is predicted for all five days
Considering the 2yr buildup for the WTC Final, it should have been a timeless test I feel! Washout would be really sad considering the number of days the players have spent in quarantine.
Old 18th June 2021, 10:56   #13402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Considering the 2yr buildup for the WTC Final, it should have been a timeless test I feel! Washout would be really sad considering the number of days the players have spent in quarantine.
True. After 2 years and 6 test series and for all the hype around this final, I have a strange feeling that this will end in a tame draw. I hope that doesn't happen and we don't see a draw.
Old 18th June 2021, 11:40   #13403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Not sure why would they choose England with that Fickle weather and on top of it, final is not even happening at Lords. Guess we need to be mentally prepared for few days for some frustrating wait times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
What is more sad is that in case of a draw the trophy will be shared and it would not be awarded based on the points because many series were affected by the COVID.
Old 18th June 2021, 13:51   #13404
Distinguished - BHPian

Coincidence?

The Cricket Thread-wtc.jpg

Sometime I feel the numbers tell you so much more, if you dig deeper.
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2021, 14:47   #13405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Already the toss is delayed and the first session is washed out! What a "dampener"!!
Old 18th June 2021, 19:39   #13406
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok so day 1 called off. 5 more days left. Why can't the match be postponed by a week? I know England weather is fickle but weather forecast next week is slightly better than this week. It's World cup final of all and why can't it be rescheduled?
Old 18th June 2021, 20:20   #13407

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Ok so day 1 called off. 5 more days left. Why can't the match be postponed by a week? I know England weather is fickle but weather forecast next week is slightly better than this week. It's World cup final of all and why can't it be rescheduled?

Okay, I am no expert, but AFAICR during my time during due diligence in the case of an M&A in relation to a famous broadcaster for cricket, I have come to understand that postponement or suspension of any worldwide event has many legal and commercial consequences for many varying from organizers, sponsors, broadcasters along with their already sold ad slots and other stakeholders. Further, postponement by just a week is a little less time to make preparations, especially those deals which have to be under a contract. Maybe this is what is troubling ICC to consider postponement. Nevertheless, if postponed, they should probably consider a longer time gap for adequate planning and ensuring minimal consequences as a result thereof.
Old 18th June 2021, 20:26   #13408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatJordan View Post
Okay, I am no expert, but AFAICR during my time during due diligence in the case of an M&A in relation to a famous broadcaster for cricket, I have come to understand that postponement or suspension of any worldwide event has many legal and commercial consequences for many varying from organizers, sponsors, broadcasters along with their already sold ad slots and other stakeholders. Further, postponement by just a week is a little less time to make preparations, especially those deals which have to be under a contract. Maybe this is what is troubling ICC to consider postponement. Nevertheless, if postponed, they should probably consider a longer time gap for adequate planning and ensuring minimal consequences as a result thereof.
Considering they chose England as the venue, they should have made 3/5 contingency plans. I feel along with all stakeholders even cricket fans world over should sue them for such a disappointment.
Old 18th June 2021, 21:18   #13409
Team-BHP Support

Travails of jam-packed calendars, and mega-bucks financial deals, leaving little to no flexibility.
Old 20th June 2021, 09:43   #13410
BHPian

Played well till now. Kudos to the team. But this a test match that can be lost in 1 bad session. So they have to keep playing as long as possible to take it for a draw. With more rains predicted tomorrow, hope they play out Day 3 without being All Out.

Most Viewed