Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2021, 16:19   #13606
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Flipping the sports channels this afternoon, I came across a 2003 World Cup encounter between India and England on Star Sports 1.

The present day Lords test between the same teams is also being live streamed on Sony Six.

One common factor between these two matches being played 18 years apart is the presence of a certain pacer called James Anderson - young and energetic then; mature and energetic now.

Take a bow gentleman!
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 16:22   #13607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
Flipping the sports channels this afternoon, I came across a 2003 World Cup encounter between India and England on Star Sports 1.
The six that Sachin hit off Caddick
Eddy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2021, 17:21   #13608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The six that Sachin hit off Caddick
Saw that today.

I was in college then and all my cricket exposure and consumption was through the live commentary aired on AIR and the next day's newspapers.

The Hindi commentators would take the narration to the crescendo by varying the tone and pace of their words. It was a roller coaster ride of voice induced emotions.

The phrase Aankho Dekha Haal would indeed be justified.

Only matches deemed very important by our warden would be shown to us on tv in the hostel common room.

Those were really good days.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 00:06   #13609
BHPian

Fantastic day of cricket today for team India today. Great performance by Rahul with the bat. I was skeptical about him at the top in these conditions, but I’m happy to see him bat so well. Would have been even better day had Kohli stayed not out.
pandey.jai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 00:21   #13610
Team-BHP Support

Just goes to show that most of us are....well.... armchair critics. Who would have thought Rahul and Rohit would do so well at the top of the order. I for one did not give Rahul a chance in swinging conditions.

Really happy for him. Ok Ok from Virat.

I feel Gill will replace Pujara soon at #3 for long term. In this series either Mayank or Vihari will get that chance, although I personally don't think that the probability of either of them succeeding at 3. But then, they may do a KL.

Let's hope that Rahane fires tomorrow, he almost gave everyone a heart attack on the last ball.
Old 13th August 2021, 09:04   #13611
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just goes to show that most of us are....well.... armchair critics. Who would have thought Rahul and Rohit would do so well at the top of the order. I for one did not give Rahul a chance in swinging conditions.
I think all 3 of them - Rohit, Rahul and Rahane can be much more consistent if they apply themselves. Many times, it's the odd ball that they throw their wickets away to (not talking about unplayable deliveries though).

Pujara is almost a goner now and yes I think Gill is a good long term prospect for the #3 position.

Rahane would also be under the lens anytime soon, if he isn't already

Last edited by NPV : 13th August 2021 at 09:17.
Old 13th August 2021, 11:49   #13612
BHPian

Quote:
I feel Gill will replace Pujara soon at #3 for long term.

Let's hope that Rahane fires tomorrow, he almost gave everyone a heart attack on the last ball.
Pujara deserves an extended run (atleast for this entire series) He is an apt number 3 for India in all conditions. Remember the extended opportunities given to Rohit in ODIs with his talent weighed over the actual performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think all 3 of them - Rohit, Rahul and Rahane can be much more consistent if they apply themselves. Many times, it's the odd ball that they throw their wickets away to (not talking about unplayable deliveries though).

Pujara is almost a goner now and yes I think Gill is a good long term prospect for the #3 position.

Very true with the first part of the comment. Something to learn from KL Rahul. The first 100 balls he faced, he scored some 20 runs and since then he just owned the crease. Ended with a strike rate of 50+.

Rahane really needs not one not two but more key performances to cement his place in the playing XI. There are few able contenders for number 5, notably Shreyas Iyer and if we groom a 3 times domestic triple centurian Jadeja. The decision to play Rahane in place of an immediate triple centurian K Nair has backfired. Where is K Nair in the setup though?

Last edited by VWAllstar : 13th August 2021 at 11:50.
Old 13th August 2021, 12:19   #13613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post

I think Pujara is in pressure due to strike rate and trying to score runs. We just have to leave him at slow strike rate or maybe try someone else new. For now England is tough series and we can keep playing and then decide.
Old 13th August 2021, 15:41   #13614
Distinguished - BHPian

7 balls 2 wickets!! what a bad way to start the second day
Rahane badly needs some runs now
Old 13th August 2021, 16:01   #13615
BHPian

Time to drop either Pujara or Rahane?
Draft in Hanuma?
Old 13th August 2021, 16:25   #13616
KPR
BANNED

Rahane in test reminds me of Agarkar in ODIs. Former has sneaked in 75 tests and latter has 190 ODIs. They were/are unsure if they are part of squad for next series or not.
Old 13th August 2021, 16:27   #13617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Time to drop either Pujara or Rahane?
Draft in Hanuma?
Drop A Rahane and let M Agrawal play at number 5. Or reward Vihari's perfromance in Australia by promoting him to play at number 5.

Rahane need to go back to domestic cricket and get his form back. Nothing to feel bad about it, Ganguly too did the same and on his comeback scored a century.

Pujara scored a half century 10 innings ago however he should be given a longer stint in this series.
Old 13th August 2021, 17:42   #13618
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Rahane failed yet again scoring just 1 run. I hope India can get to a total of 375-400 with a good contribution from Jaddu.
346/7 at lunch with Jaddu and Ishant batting

Last edited by NPV : 13th August 2021 at 17:44.
Old 13th August 2021, 18:01   #13619
Team-BHP Support

Jaddu's batted pretty well lately, except for the ability to protect the tail and score. I hope he does better today.

PS: He surpassed Sanjay Manjrekar's test runs tally today
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2021, 18:01   #13620
Distinguished - BHPian

Promote Sir Jadeja to #5, he is the best bat we got right now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks