Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2021, 14:17   #14056
KPR
BANNED

Re: The Cricket Thread

Spectators, organisers, sponsors, TV viewers, fans, Ashwin are all sad. Only Rahane will be happy

Last edited by KPR : 10th September 2021 at 14:18.
KPR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 15:21   #14057
BHPian

20m against 300m? If so, then ECB had no chance against BCCI, isn't it?
Quote:
BBC cricket correspondent Jonathan Agnew

This is quite bizarre because last night the players all passed their PCR tests. We went to bed thinking the match would go ahead.

I suspect the IPL would have a lot to do with this. It starts in 10 days' time. The players are on huge contacts. The IPL is worth £300m to the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI).

They are desperate to protect their product and the players protect their contracts. This stands to cost the ECB £20m, one assumes there would be some negotiations about that with the BCCI.

It is a shame Covid has interfered with a brilliant series.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 16:18   #14058
Distinguished - BHPian

Apparently it will be rescheduled next year when India is supposed to travel to play ODI series. Such a bummer, covid has just turned everything upside down.

Was looking forward to last match, it's been an amazing series, but alas.
Old 10th September 2021, 16:20   #14059
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, an anti-climax. Who knows what will happen next year, we had a pretty good team now. It will be a lottery again, just like the WTC finals.
Old 10th September 2021, 16:57   #14060
BHPian

Who "postpones indefinitely" the last match of a bilateral series? And why postpone/cancel it if none of the players have tested positive?

What is the liability of the team whose players/staff have breached bio secure arrangements, of any?

A very strange way for an exciting series to fizzle out!
Old 10th September 2021, 17:16   #14061
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
And why postpone/cancel it if none of the players have tested positive?

What is the liability of the team whose players/staff have breached bio secure arrangements, of any?

A very strange way for an exciting series to fizzle out!
Quoting what I have read and heard over the past 3 hours:

- Players were in direct contact with the physio who has tested positive.

- All were negative on Thursday, but Friday results were awaited

- Players were afraid that some of them would be infected and within the incubation period of 5 days where the tests would be inconclusive. Physical exertion during this time could prove to be fatal

- Afraid of spreading the infection to other players

- Even more afraid of spreading to families and unvaccinated kids

- The bubble in UK was not a bio-secure bubble, but a safety bubble which apparently is less stringent.

- Unfair to blame the book launch event; when the players are using a public staircase, elevators and lifts along with 5000-6000 other people every day.

Update

Quote:
ECB CEO said any rescheduled match will be standalone match and the remaining Test match will not be associated with this series. This series is done and the ICC will decide the fate of it. (On Sky Sports).

Last edited by Eddy : 10th September 2021 at 17:18.
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 17:31   #14062
Senior - BHPian

Obviously we all are disappointed but this is an absolute right decision. Health of players and people associated with them is more important. If this match is forfeited then series will level at 2-2 and that will be extremely sad from India's point of view but the situation can't be helped.
Old 10th September 2021, 17:55   #14063
BHPian

Ind have lost a very good chance of winning a series in Eng. This is heartbreaking really. Interesting few days ahead, until IPL starts.
I expect alot more loose talk over this decision from ex-players.
BCCI will protect players on the book launch event issue.
Eng players and "Pundits" will use this to make themselves believe that they would have drawn the series if not for 'India backing out'.

I really hope we get another shot to play the decider and not forfeit the match. I really hope BCCI uses its financial muscle here.
Old 11th September 2021, 08:15   #14064
Senior - BHPian

We're still living through some exceptional circumstances, so normal rules may not apply. Call me biased, but I'd award the series to India. I'd award the series to England has they been leading.

For the sake to WTC points and broadcast revenue, it makes sense to play the one-off test as a part of the next white ball tour of England.
landcruiser123 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 09:52   #14065
BHPian

Newspapers are reporting that it's the players who forced the BCCI's hand by not wanting to jeopardize theirs and their families' health by playing the match, which makes me wonder if the book launch event was an approved one? The squad has been in England for a while now but all hell is breaking loose at the end with none of the players even testing positive!

Good for our team as we are already ahead and the series is decided in our favour, notwithstanding and imposed technicality of this match being played next year. You don't play a bilateral test series over two years The players also get an extra breather, they are human beings after all and not machines, cannot blame them if the administration cannot run a tight ship.

If I were the English team I would feel that my board sold the team down the river for an extra couple of million pounds next year. But then again, they did something similar in South Africa, so cannot complain.
Old 11th September 2021, 10:38   #14066
Distinguished - BHPian

So many Series have been called off, matches abandoned, these are exceptional times indeed. I don't care about the series result anymore, if it is 2-2 so be it, world knows which was the better team, we know which was the better team, hell england fans know which was the better team.

I stand by the players, they have families, they are human, here in my society if one case is identified, almost everyone stops coming out. These guys have been giving it all for months now, no one has slacked. Let's move on and hope everyone and there family is safe and everyone returns negative result in next few days.

I would have been very interested to see how english would have behaved if it was the other way around, I am sure they would have played the moral card, and we would have agreed to abandon match and not push for 3-1.

Last edited by AtheK : 11th September 2021 at 10:39.
Old 11th September 2021, 10:47   #14067
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think it really matters if this tour ends as a 4 test series won by India 2-1 and next year we play a one off series
OR
If next year's test is considered the fifth test of this series. These are just for statistical records.

The decision to cancel the test was also a good move, after all safety of players, staff and their families is of paramount importance.
Old 11th September 2021, 12:07   #14068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
So many Series have been called off, matches abandoned, these are exceptional times indeed. I don't care about the series result anymore, if it is 2-2 so be it, world knows which was the better team, we know which was the better team, hell england fans know which was the better team.

I stand by the players, they have families, they are human, here in my society if one case is identified, almost everyone stops coming out. These guys have been giving it all for months now, no one has slacked. Let's move on and hope everyone and there family is safe and everyone returns negative result in next few days.

I would have been very interested to see how english would have behaved if it was the other way around, I am sure they would have played the moral card, and we would have agreed to abandon match and not push for 3-1.
I agree.
Book launch wasn't approved by BCCI but it happened in same hotel players were staying and ECB CEO attended it so it wasn't like ECB didn't know it happening. They didn't object to it cos there was no bio bubble. When there is no bio bubble Covid will enter somehow from somewhere and especially on a long tour like this. So, it's pointless to blame book launch or anything else.

Currently match stands as cancelled. Not forfeited. If ECB isn't satisfied with this they can raise it will ICC. But, I doubt they will do it cos that will strain their relationship with BCCI and we all know how vindictive BCCI powers are. They won't play with ECB like they do and may even cancel next year's tour. Plus the IPL incentive. I am quite sure ECB will agree to a one off test next tour to compensate for the losses they incur on this one. CA and ECB can talk whatever but they do depend on BCCI to generate revenue for themselves.

Real loss is for the fans who travelled to see the match. Tickets will be reimbursed but hotel bookings and travel expenses will be gone. Players were justified to not play as you don't want to know while playing you are infected and the physical exertion can deteriorate their health. There is no way physio who was in contact with every player won't have infected anyone else.

For future, vaccinated or not, boards have to secure bio bubbles if they don't want huge losses due to end minute cancellations.
Old 11th September 2021, 12:38   #14069
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, Safety for all first. And I hope same standards are followed for IPL too.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 15:01   #14070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes, Safety for all first. And I hope same standards are followed for IPL too.
IPL and T20 world cup are in secure bio bubbles. Like it should be for all matches.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks