Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2022, 09:06   #14956
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Lovely win. Let's hope this generation of U19 transforms into the senior league successfully.
On average, 2 players from U-19 have seen success in the senior stage.
2000: Yuvraj & Kaif (c)
2008: Virat (c), R Jadeja & to an extent Manish Pandey
2012: Vihari (The captain, Unmukt Chand, never made it to the Indian side)
2018: Prithvi Shaw (c), Gill

2022 squad: Yash Dhull (c), Shaik Rasheed (vc), Aaradhya Yadav, Dinesh Bana, Raj Bawa, Aneeshwar Gautam, Rajvardhan Hangargekar, Harnoor Singh, Manav Parakh, Vicky Ostwal, Angkrish Raghuvanshi, Ravi Kumar, Garv Sangwan, Siddarth Yadav, Nishant Sindhu, Kaushal Tambe, Vasu Vats
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 09:25   #14957
BHPian

The success of Indian U-19 white ball cricket team in the last 10 years very clearly proves that there is sufficient talent underneath the senior ODI team and the Vijay Hazare teams.

Champions in 2012, 2018 & 2022
Runner Ups in 2016 & 2020

This is not a simple achievement.

But are the selectors and the Indian senior management tapping into the right talent? I for one was quite disappointed with the white ball team selection in both South Africa and for the current West Indies series.

Some of the selections (Mayank Agarwal, Bhuvi, Ashwin, Saini) are definitely questionable and are bizarre/weird and lacks cricketing explanation.

I really don't understand why players like Prithvi Shaw or Shubman Gill are not in the white ball ODI team!

Also, it was criminal to have not given chances to Ruturaj and Ishan Kishan in the white ball leg of the SA series.

All in all it was quite a disappointing start to Dravid's coaching career . The bad selections in the SA test series needs another post all together.

Last edited by searacer932 : 6th February 2022 at 09:26.
searacer932 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 09:53   #14958
BHPian

Purely on the basis of the numbers in this World Cup, I see Raj Bawa as a potential future all rounder. How the team and the selection committee is anyone’s guess. He shouldn’t be thrown at the deep end right away - a few A-team tours should be a minimum for Bawa and a few others.

Edit-
Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post

Also, it was criminal to have not given chances to Ruturaj and Ishan Kishan in the white ball leg of the SA series.

All in all it was quite a disappointing start to Dravid's coaching career . The bad selections in the SA test series needs another post all together.
I agree the selection of the team left a lot to be desired. The home series against WI should have been used as a good time to experiment with the line ups. Hopefully the team will play well and pick some confidence and momentum for the future games and tours.

Last edited by pandey.jai : 6th February 2022 at 09:56. Reason: Added text
pandey.jai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2022, 19:57   #14959
Senior - BHPian

The ODI series against WI is a comedy show, we know what happened in the test series against England at Ahmedabad. Was this the right venue to give a chance to Chahal? When did Saini look like a bowler with potential? Natarajan has not played much cricket after the Aussie series, Sanju Samson did not get enough chance, Prithvi Shaw not considered for ODI's. I doubt if Dravid will remain as coach beyond 6 months. Kohli is probably considering early retirement.
Old 10th February 2022, 15:15   #14960
PPS
Senior - BHPian

ICC badly needs to tweak the ODI format! Its painful to watch this insipid India-WI series which is literally a snooze fest at various stages. Teams take almost 4hrs to bowl 50 overs, one can't possibly dedicate 7hrs + in watching an ODI in today's times. Not too sure if a Triangular or Quadrangular tournament can spice up things.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 16:59   #14961
BHPian

Does anyone know why this India vs West Indies series is being played? The WI team were playing T20 vs England and they will be playing Test matches against England after this. So I wonder why this borefest of ODI series has been slotted in here (other than money for BCCI).
Old 10th February 2022, 17:04   #14962
Senior - BHPian

The NAMO cricket stadium was probably lying vacant and WI came to India for playing a ODI series.
Old 10th February 2022, 17:05   #14963
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
So I wonder why this borefest of ODI series has been slotted in here (other than money for BCCI).
So we can win easily and forget what happened in South Africa! Plus the sports channels need some victorious moments to (re)play in those "throwback" sections during rain-interrupted matches.

But seriously, glad that this series is giving some new players the chance to show what they can do.
Old 10th February 2022, 17:05   #14964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
ICC badly needs to tweak the ODI format!
Tendulkar's 2009 proposal to ICC in the year 2009 needs a relook - Tendulkar for two innings each in ODIs. At that time, ODI was still popular. Now after 12 years since that proposal, T20s have completely decimated ODIs and that idea can be tested.
Teams will need to strategize & pace their game differently. The spectators will get to see 2 T20s in a day.

Note: The new format must get a new name. ODI format can be retired. The current ODI format is being tweaked so much that every series has new set of rules. I have forgotten between what overs are the powerplay (batting, bowling powerplays or whatever if they still exist).

Last edited by msdivy : 10th February 2022 at 17:09.
Old 10th February 2022, 17:22   #14965
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
The new format must get a new name. ODI format can be retired. The current ODI format is being tweaked so much that every series has new set of rules. I have forgotten between what overs are the powerplay (batting, bowling powerplays or whatever if they still exist).
The ODI game is so (boringly) loaded against the bowlers, so instead of a totally new format, a few tweaks (like undoing some of the "innovative" rules introduced in last few years) to balance the game and give something back for the bowlers can be done, for starters :
1. Better bowler friendly tracks instead of flat ones
2. One ball for an innings (instead of one from each end)
3. Push the boundary ropes outward, they're too small now and being brought in just to allow batsmen to score sixes
4. No free hit for a no ball, just an extra run and a ball
5. Do away with powerplays and go back to old rule of field restrictions in first 15 overs only
NPV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 14:25   #14966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Agree 100% on this. This is over-penalizing the bowlers for overstepping.
Batsman can't get out under most circumstances for 2 balls in a row for 1 mistake from bowler. But they can score upto 13 runs in those 2 balls...

I fail to understand why top bowlers from all countries can't raise a voice together against this rule
Old 14th February 2022, 15:20   #14967
BHPian

Quote:
The ODI game is so (boringly) loaded against the bowlers, so instead of a totally new format, a few tweaks (like undoing some of the "innovative" rules introduced in last few years) to balance the game and give something back for the bowlers can be done, for starters :
3. Push the boundary ropes outward, they're too small now and being brought in just to allow batsmen to score sixes
5. Do away with powerplays and go back to old rule of field restrictions in first 15 overs only
I agree with all your points. Additionally I would like to see the following rule changes, which IMO will make the contest between bat and ball a.k.a Game of Cricket more balanced.

1. In limited overs matches, majority of the time legside deliveries are called wide by the umpires even when the deliveries miss the leg stump by a whisker. I think it is too harsh on the bowlers. Bowlers should a have a bit of leeway if not as much as it is on the off side now. May be deliveries upto 10-12 inches outside the leg stump should be allowed.

2. While bowlers are penalised for overstepping, batters are allowed to take guard outside their batting crease, which I dont think is completely fair. I know on occasions wicketkeepers do come right upto the stumps while 'medium' pacers are operating to avoid the batters from doing so, but rule should be same for both batters and bowlers.

3. When a fielder manages a direct throw at the stumps and the ball ricochets off the stumps, overthrow runs should not be allowed. Fielders should not be penalised for their excellence on the field by allowing extra runs, especially the direct hits from outside the 30 yard circle.

4. I fail to understand this LBW rule wherein a batter cannot be ruled out if a ball is pitched outside the line of leg stump even though the ball is going onto hit the stumps. No wonder that there are not many classical legspinners in the world of cricket!

P.S- I have nothing against the batters. In fact my favourite cricketers are mostly batters. I love seeing batters scoring big, but I love the game of cricket a wee bit more.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 00:09   #14968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasn't the ODIs like this in the 80s. It was the waning popularity that made tweak the rules over the past 30 years. ODIs offer neither the drama of test cricket nor the fast-paced entertainment of T20s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
3. When a fielder manages a direct throw at the stumps and the ball ricochets off the stumps, overthrow runs should not be allowed. Fielders should not be penalised for their excellence on the field by allowing extra runs, especially the direct hits from outside the 30 yard circle.
This is a good suggestion. Can be added to all forms of cricket.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 14:56   #14969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Wasn't the ODIs like this in the 80s. It was the waning popularity that made tweak the rules over the past 30 years. ODIs offer neither the drama of test cricket nor the fast-paced entertainment of T20s.
This is a good suggestion. Can be added to all forms of cricket.
I have a slightly different take on this subject. ODIs may not be as popular it was earlier, but I feel hardcore cricket fans still love it and rarely do we see an ODI which is not a sell out in most countries. The popularity of T20s has grown exponentially, so much so that the ODIs probably seem bland in comparison. Especially the millenials tend to love T20s more than any other format, which probably isn't the case with people of other generations. Another observation taking into account my personal experience is that number of people watching cricket on television during daytime has probably come down drastically. People tend to watch/follow matches on their smartphones more during working hours rather than staying glued to their televisions. IMO day/night ODIs have better television viewership in the second half compared to the first. At large, barring mega ICC events, television viewership as far as ODIs are concerned has probably come down notably.
Old 15th February 2022, 21:08   #14970
BHPian

Heartening to see this from Nepal , unlike few of our famed heroes, who wouldn't lose any chance to gain advantage.
Nepal apparently lost the game eventually.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/nepa...-watch-2769152
redCherry is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks