Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2008, 19:49   #4441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I really wonder why Ganguly was sent ahead of Sachin in the second innings to accelerate the scoring.
I thought that move said quite a lot about what the captain expected from Ganguly and what he didnt expect from the others.

It was time for someone to walk in and play for the team and do what the situation demands, and when you want someone to do that you cannot go wrong with Dada.
Old 22nd October 2008, 22:48   #4442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Dhoni has been quite lucky that in his tenure as captain people like Gambhir, Yuvraj and others have stuck their prime form of their careers collectively. Other captains haven't been so lucky.
Could it be that Dhoni is able to bring good performances out of his team while some others couldn't from the same bunch of players? May be (by evidences pointed by some others here), he is able to gel them as a team while others treat them as 11 different players. What else can explain a brilliant performance by a team where almost everyone contributed?
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:10   #4443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I thought that move said quite a lot about what the captain expected from Ganguly and what he didnt expect from the others.

It was time for someone to walk in and play for the team and do what the situation demands, and when you want someone to do that you cannot go wrong with Dada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
He came in to replace Gambhir - to keep the left right combination going.

n_c quoted the right reason here
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:34   #4444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

While I do not agree that Dravid or Sachin is any lesser when playing for the team's cause(I can give you any number of examples), the truth is that both of them have bogged down in recent innings when quick scoring was required, so it was a prudent move. Here was a man in form, playing his last series, no pressure, it made sense in that respect.
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:03   #4445
Senior - BHPian

As per the reports Kumble is playing at Kotla and also is Mishra and in all probability Laxman will be out. Do you guys think thats the right move? I believe they should not change the winning combination.

Also Shaun Marsh has filled up for Phil Jacques - Do you people think he should be playing in place of Hayden or Katich or even White who has done nothing with bat and ball in 2 tests so far?
Old 23rd October 2008, 16:08   #4446
Senior - BHPian

@Harsh, I think middle order would look weak if we drop Laxman and play Mishra instead. I think two spinners are sufficient and Sehwag, Sachin can do their partime bowling.

For Marsh s place i dont think Hayden will be dropped. Cos if its his day he can fire , Katich might be replaced. Aussie need a spinner so im not to sure if white will be dropped.
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:05   #4447
Senior - BHPian

I think getting Marsh in for Hayden would be a good move but ......

And playing 3 spinners is fine on Kotla but since Kumble bowls medium pace - you can ask Sachin to bowl and retain Laxman
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:13   #4448
Team-BHP Support

The Aussies will play with the same batting line up, barring injuries. And Kumble instead of VVS would be a gamble, especially in the absence of Pathan.
If it has to happen, then Kumble instead of Mishra should be the way to go.
Old 23rd October 2008, 17:18   #4449
Senior - BHPian

@Karan - True, Dropping laxman will weaken the middle order and i too think 2 spinners are more than enough.
Katich cant be dropped as he performed well in first test. So Marsh has to wait a bit i think.
Old 29th October 2008, 16:53   #4450
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to Sachin and Gambhir to bail out India from the initial shortcomings. Gambhir is about to reach is 3rd half century of the day. Thanks to Laxman for some quick scoring 50. Also Sachin came up with his 51st 50.

Would be fine if we could score 450+

Last edited by Surprise : 29th October 2008 at 16:55.
Old 29th October 2008, 19:41   #4451
Team-BHP Support

Amazing first day of cricket. Good to see positive batting by the team and giving it back to the haughty Aussies.

Should score somewhere close to 500.
Old 30th October 2008, 03:23   #4452
Senior - BHPian

I think what the Aussies really spite is that for years they've been dishing out their aggressive crap to all other teams & most of them have suffered that without a complaint & also lost the contests to them. However, this time around not only is the Indian team giving them a taste of their own medicine (courtesy Harbhajan, Zaheer, Ishant, Gambhir) but are also beating them in the game itself so it hurts even more!

I don't think they know how to handle this situation. But would be interesting to see how the Match Refree reacts to the Gambhir incidents. You can see in both incidents that they were both instigated by the Aussies & Gambhir gave it right back to them after multiplying it 5x!

Last edited by iraghava : 30th October 2008 at 03:28.
Old 30th October 2008, 09:28   #4453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
However, this time around not only is the Indian team giving them a taste of their own medicine (courtesy Harbhajan, Zaheer, Ishant, Gambhir) but are also beating them in the game itself so it hurts even more!
They're also picking on the wrong guys. If they concentrated on the overtly (and ingratiatingly) polite guys from the South and the West they probably wouldnt have gotten it back as they have from the Delhi bunch.

Aai yam luvving it!
Old 30th October 2008, 11:33   #4454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I don't think they know how to handle this situation. But would be interesting to see how the Match Refree reacts to the Gambhir incidents. You can see in both incidents that they were both instigated by the Aussies & Gambhir gave it right back to them after multiplying it 5x!
IMO, Gautam is in gambhir trouble for the Watson incident. Cricket is not a contact sport, and Gambhir obviously hit Watson deliberately. He should consider himself lucky if he gets away with a fine, chances are he'll be banned for a couple of test matches.

\N

Edit: Gambhir has done it earlier as well. He barged into Shahid Afridi during an ODI last year, and was fined 65% of his match fee.

Since this is a repeat offense, he surely is looking at a ban.

Last edited by ntomer : 30th October 2008 at 11:37.
Old 30th October 2008, 11:40   #4455
BHPian

Both Gambhir and Watson have been charged.Lets wait and see what the verdict is.
Ofcourse,cricket is not a contact sport,but IMO Watson was mouthing s**t when Gambhir was crossing for the first run and Gambhir gave it back during the second run.
But real surprise is how Katich got away without anything.Did anyone see how he blocked Gambhir from taking that single.
As usual,Aussie media is all over it.I read an article which said "Indians have again prooved they are the worst behaved team".They never bothered when they were serving out those craps.Now when on receiving end they crib.

Most Viewed