Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2009, 13:52   #5251
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Dravid has always had the skill for the ODI's, its just that his role in ODI's hasn't been that viewer friendly. Its just that while he was stationed at number 3, his role was to hold the fort at one end so that the batsmen at the other end could go hammer and tongs. Sehwag & Sachin were the usual openers. A quick one or two wickets (and these are big shoes to fill into given how the two openers could single handedly destroy the opposition), imagine the pressure on number 3? If he gets out playing strokes, it opens up the entire "inconsistent and unreliable" middle order. Also given that Sehwag & Sachin are such naturally strokers, the following batsmen are expected to score at the same rate or have the same flair. This has been Dravid's biggest downfall. Too much expectations from fans to match the other greats.

How can anyone forget some of his brilliant knocks, like the one in 2000 WC against England when Sourav and he put up a brilliant partnership, the knock against NZ @ Hyd. IIRC he scored at an aggressive rate provided the opening pair gave the team a good start.

I still remember very clearly, at one point during 2004 or there around, Dravid started to play the ball with soft hands and steal quick singles on a regular basis. I am yet to see someone who adapts to the situation as good as him.

Coming back to Rohit Sharma, throwing him out of the National squad would dampen his confidence level. Most of the talented cricketers never found their way back after being dropped from the national side. Save for Sehwag & Sourav in the recent past. But then, these two aren't ordinary cricketers. They have the will power and determination of soldiers.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:02   #5252
Team-BHP Support

Dravid was definitely an asset in the ODI team, no doubt in my minds. What role is given to him and whether he can perform again after 2 years is yet to be seen.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:08   #5253
BANNED

This is an egg on the face of the folks opposing Rahul Dravid. We have seen quite a few of them on here too.

What happened to youngsters and all that jazz?? One short delivery was all that it took?

T20 has wrecked cricket. People expect the same out of every other game.

If I was Rahul Dravid i could have refused to play in ODI and could have asked to play only in Tests. I probably could have been thrown out and never made a comeback - the reason why Rahul Dravid has accepted.

He may succeed he may not, but his recall is all that needs to make out the caliber of the player.

Kambli: Thanks a lot for entertaining us and playing some of the most beautiful cricket we have ever seen. A star that blazed out too soon. Your heart was in the right place but probably the discipline was missing. Success to you in all your future endeavors.

Rohit Sharma: Too much expectations and over confidence. Talented but needs to back it with performance. Has a long career ahead and will be back, probably a much better player.

The biggest joke i was waiting to happen was getting Manish Pandey in the team. Thankful for that. LOL...
Old 17th August 2009, 14:17   #5254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
The biggest joke i was waiting to happen was getting Manish Pandey in the team. Thankful for that. LOL...
You said it. That would have been something

btw: I just can't recall how Ojha fared recently. Did he merit a drop or is it just musical chairs ?
Old 17th August 2009, 14:23   #5255
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Dravid started to play the ball with soft hands and steal quick singles on a regular basis.
That would happen on Dravid's lucky day. But on regular days, his shots directly went to opposition fielder's hand, increased the required rate & eventually succumb to asking rate pressure. (Remember, there is no such pressure in Tests and Dravid can block everything and play the role of Wall.)
Quote:
Coming back to Rohit Sharma, throwing him out of the National squad would dampen his confidence level.
If he can't shrug of this failure & recoup again, he is not mentally fit to be in the squad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Dravid was definitely an asset in the ODI team, no doubt in my minds.
His newly acquired skill of going for big shots (gained from T20), will be put to test in the coming ODI series. That will decide whether he is an asset.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:26   #5256
Team-BHP Support

His records, his performances and his match winning contributions with the bat and gloves already proves that he was an asset in the ODI team. I don't think we need a certificate for that.

OT: Why don't you focus on the latest news thats going around ? Sehwag wanting to leave the Delhi team ?
Old 17th August 2009, 14:26   #5257
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
His newly acquired skill of going for big shots (gained from T20)
I don't think he has been selected for that reason.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:26   #5258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Coming back to Rohit Sharma, throwing him out of the National squad would dampen his confidence level. Most of the talented cricketers never found their way back after being dropped from the national side.
Well he needs to prove his place, apart from his talent. I dont remember him staying at crease for too long. Its time for him to play Ranji trophy . Let him learn to stay at the wicket. Maybe he s just too carried away from T20 cricket. He surely needs to adapt to ODI & Test . No doubt he's a class player when he gets going.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:36   #5259
BANNED

Quote:
I don't think he has been selected for that reason.
There are only 2 reasons:
1. Selectors impressed with Dravid's performance in IPL2. Or
2. Selectors want Dravid to retire (Golden Handshake).

Why would selector want Dravid to retire from ODI, when he is not even in the squad? Also, Dravid has made his name in Test cricket, rather than in ODI. They might better give him golden handshake in Test.

Last edited by diabloo : 17th August 2009 at 14:37.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:56   #5260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
My gut feeling says Rahul will do well in the coming tournaments.

Tell me one good reason to retain Rohit Sharma in the team. He might be a great player with sound technique but what is talent without execution ?
And when did he became a great player?
I cant recall him hitting many centuries or breaking records or winning india many matches.
Talented-yes but not a great player by a mile.
All i see in him is another Kambli.

Quote:
His records, his performances and his match winning contributions with the bat and gloves already proves that he was an asset in the ODI team. I don't think we need a certificate for that.

OT: Why don't you focus on the latest news thats going around ? Sehwag wanting to leave the Delhi team ?
+1.
Dravid does not needs to prove anything to anyone. Its high time people must see that.

Sehwag is leaving delhi team. When did this happened?
Old 17th August 2009, 15:01   #5261
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The third and the most logical reason is that they want a player which is steadier than the other options available and someone who can come in at 15/2 and play a knock of 70 off 85-90 balls.

@Harry: Saw this headline an hour ago on TV while having lunch. Something to do with team selection I guess. But this is the Ranji team, not the IPL that he wants to leave. Obviously.

Last edited by Eddy : 17th August 2009 at 15:02.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:12   #5262
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
That would happen on Dravid's lucky day. But on regular days, his shots directly went to opposition fielder's hand, increased the required rate & eventually succumb to asking rate pressure. (Remember, there is no such pressure in Tests and Dravid can block everything and play the role of Wall.)
FYI, if every batsmen were to find the gaps always, would there be a need to have fielders? What you don't realize is, fielding arrangements are made looking at the strengths of individual batsmen, like a proper strategy to restrict his favourite run scoring areas. Unlike bowlers who can bowl full length, short, outside off stump, down the legs with each ball, batsmen have restricted choices depending on the the length and line of the ball, the areas which they can target. If the bowler bowls well, field is set perfectly, any batsmen will end up hitting the ball to the fielders. That is the reason you always see EVERY batsmen have more number of "dot balls" than 1's, 2's, 4's in his tally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Its time for him to play Ranji trophy.
Given the state of the pitches in our domestic season, he will go nowhere. Better bet would be to join a county team abroad or keep touring as the reserve player in the national side. Atleast you get to play on bouncing wickets.

Quote:
I think its neither. Maybe it just to show Dhoni his real place in this ODI side .

I wonder what happened to all jazz about youngsters? Everyone saw what Suresh Raina could handle once the bowlers started to dig him up. He was looking like a clueless fool in IPL. If the future of Indian cricket is in the hands of the Raina's, Dhoni's (India's latest wall) & Yuvraj's god save our team.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 17th August 2009 at 15:19.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:12   #5263
BANNED

Quote:
The third and the most logical reason is that they want a player which is steadier than the other options available and someone who can come in at 15/2 and play a knock of 70 off 85-90 balls.
Has Dravid demonstrated anything close to that in last 2 years in ODIs, that warrant his recall?
Quote:
@Harry: Saw this headline an hour ago on TV while having lunch. Something to do with team selection I guess. But this is the Ranji team, not the IPL that he wants to leave. Obviously.
Sehwag wants to quit Delhi team. Reason: heavy interference in selection matters.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:36   #5264
BANNED

Quote:
Has Dravid demonstrated anything close to that in last 2 years in ODIs, that warrant his recall?
Its called realization and it mostly spans more then 2 years.

Quote:
Sehwag wants to quit Delhi team. Reason: heavy interference in selection matters.
He just woke up is it? Like its a new phenomenon to Indian Cricket that he needs to go shouting to the press.
Old 17th August 2009, 15:54   #5265
BANNED

Quote:
Its called realization and it mostly spans more then 2 years.
Lets wait till the CT to get over & settle if indeed Dravid was recalled for the reason you have mentioned or for the reason I have mentioned.
Quote:
He just woke up is it? Like its a new phenomenon to Indian Cricket that he needs to go shouting to the press.
My friend, everything has breaking point. Nobody quits the job on Day 1.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks