Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2011, 08:51   #6466
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

I just hope Indians end the "year of the world cup" on a winning note.
The famed Indian middle order should come into form...NOW.

On the hindsight, almost 50 runs from the last australian pair...That is something that we should work on.

If we had curtailed that and also the 50 run lead we gave them, the target would've be under 200...but thats just ifs and buts.

Keeping my fingers crossed for the moment...
Old 29th December 2011, 09:28   #6467
Senior - BHPian

Another Day, Another thrashing !

Total lack of discipline from the top order !
Old 29th December 2011, 09:44   #6468
Senior - BHPian

Yet another Batting collapse ! Yawn !! But i think Pattinson s ball to Laxman was a no ball, guess the 3rd Umpire needs a third eye !! India seriously lost a good oppurtunity to take a lead in the 1st innings !
Old 29th December 2011, 11:24   #6469
BHPian

Well, There goes the match. Australia won the 1st test by 122 runs.

-Sajan
Old 29th December 2011, 11:28   #6470
BHPian

iam waiting for the "GOD" to do something "GODLY". Like uttering "I quit".
Old 29th December 2011, 11:29   #6471
Senior - BHPian

I guess the more things change, the more they remain the same. Wonder why the Indian team has such a poor record in chasing 4th innings total, in spite of having such talented batsmen!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 29th December 2011, 11:34   #6472
Senior - BHPian

The only good thing about the whole thing is to see that Ashwin is batting so consistently.
Old 29th December 2011, 13:37   #6473
BHPian

Another overseas tour and yet another disappointment. Sigh !!!

We have only 2 world class batsmen in Sachin and Dravid who can play on any wicket against any bowling, closely followed by Laxman. These 3 are not getting any younger for them to be as consistent as they were in their prime. Its high time the others step up and contribute. But how would they for they are all media hyped stars who are nothing more than flat track bullies. Get out of the subcontinent and they all fall like nine pins.

No disrespect to the great man - If Sachin scores a 100 there are umpteen number of programs to praise him and his feat. He doesn't score one and again there are umpteen number of programs analyzing why he didn't. We have 10 other players for gods sake.

Dhoni, Gambir and Virat have become walking wickets overseas. Dhoni fails everytime we need him, but miraculously scores a 50 when the game is over. Sehwag averages 20 odd tests in England, South Africa and New Zealand. But he scores a double ton on a dead track against a minnow and all is forgotten.

The team is yet to find a stable replacement for Ganguly who retired 3 years ago. Wonder what the story would be like after Sachin and Dravid. Another West indian team in the making i guess.
karty_83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 13:48   #6474
Team-BHP Support

I'm a little disgusted.

We had the upper hand quite a few times, and they just took the match away from us. We went wrong here and there, and we paid the price. Dropped chances, giving a free rope when we had the opposition on the mat. We're not able to convert. It wasn't Laxman's test match, unfortunately.

And Kohli has disappointed. Is he just proving to the World that he isn't as promising a test-match batsman, as he IS a one-day batsman? Let's hope he clicks in the next match. Or else, I only see Rohit Sharma given the berth instead.

Our bowling looked great in patches. But we need improvements in every department to be able to beat the Aussies on their turf. And I'm not too confident about this series now. This is exactly how the England Series earlier this year, had started.
Old 29th December 2011, 20:52   #6475
PPS
Senior - BHPian

As expected we lost the match. Our whole country should hope & pray for rain during the 1st Test of every overseas tour except WI & ZIM in the future. I was truly shocked to hear Dean Jones say during the lunch break today that the Indians were favourites to win !
What is a worrying sign for me is that our strength (batting) has turned into a weakness.I have no doubt that Rohit Sharma will be given a chance in the 3rd Test.
Not much was expected from our bowling but they did a pretty good job in the end. They also managed to get out of form players like Ponting & Hussey find their touch.
Although we were in good position during various stages of the match but what was crucial was that Australia delivered the 'knock out punch' everytime. Ashwin did well with the bat but some of our tailenders should learn something from the Aussie tailenders.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:15   #6476
BHPian

Another test match and yet another massacre. Dravid alone wasn't enough in England. Sachin alone wont be enough in Australia.
Looking at the way Indians are batting and Aussie's are bowling, it appears as if the two teams are heading back into the 90's.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:24   #6477
Senior - BHPian

Quite an abject batting display from the top order.

I seriously think it is high time we started preparing for departure of our golden trio. Team management should start thinking about grooming youngsters to take over from them. We should play only two of Sachin, Drvid and Laxman in a test. So if there is a three match series, each of them can rotate and play 2 games each. the extra slot can then go to another promising batsman. Youngsters will need all their guidance as well as overseas experience. If we dont do it, we will be in real bad shape in 1-2 years time when these 3 finally step down.

at least Dhoni has been positive today and playing like a captain.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:47   #6478
Team-BHP Support

A whitewash seems eminent already.

Could it be the burden of no-form on the trio? Dravid has played well, but his last few centuries looked like real struggles. Laxman and Tendulkar, both have hardly performed, sans the occasional fifty. And Kohli seems to be more of a promising ODI batsman. That leaves Sehwag and Gambhir, who generally fire, but haven't, quite as much in the recent past. And Dhoni rounding up the tail with Ashwin getting India to 'some' total.

That's our story in the batting department.

Our bowling?

Umesh Yadav needs to bowl more in the nets, and Ishant would do good follow him. Zaheer has been the best player in our team so far. Bowling his heart out after a spate of injuries. And when he needs the back-up, he doesn't seem to have it. In all departments.
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:57   #6479
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, half our side is out of form simultaneously. When you look at each individual (except Kohli) in the line up, he has performed well enough in the recent past to merit a place in the side. Now, they are failing collectively. I would not want to be a selector right now.
Sehwag - Most valuable player in the lineup IMO
Gambhir - Out of form, but has to be kept playing. Too good a youngish player to drop for a long time
Dravid - England tour
Sachin - In form
VVS - Decent form till before England + Its Australia
Kohli - One for the future so has to be kept in the hunt along with Rohit and Pujara.

Who to drop and when ? Maybe Kohli for Rohit
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:21   #6480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

Who to drop and when ? Maybe Kohli for Rohit
Kohli will definitely be the scapegoat for the next test.
Though Ghambir is a very promising batsman his record has been dismal in the last year and a half. He is averaging in 30's(that again helped by a couple of 50's in the subcontinent). Overseas he is just another Yuvraj never inspiring confidence. Even Chopra lent more solidity in Australia and England. Something definitely needs to be done about him before its too late.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks