Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 09:51   #6766
Senior - BHPian

A flowchart of Sachin's criticism at the end of every match. Irrespective of what happens, critics play the same song on a broken tape.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120317_095038.png
Views: 5300
Size:  126.0 KB

Content Courtesy : Guruprasad Gp
Old 17th March 2012, 10:06   #6767
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Dravid's strike rate in One Day Internationals was a measly 71 (per 100 balls). Clearly he was purposely playing slow and now I am left wondering how many games we lost because of him! And not to count how many tournaments/cups we could have won if only he didnt play so slow. Maybe if he was not playing we could have won much much more (if we go by the views of some people here).
Old 17th March 2012, 10:26   #6768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
A flowchart of Sachin's criticism at the end of every match. Irrespective of what happens, critics play the same song on a broken tape.

Attachment 903734

Content Courtesy : Guruprasad Gp
Man that was just the ideal way of describing Sachin's situation and how the unfortunate souls keep on cribbing about his retirement !
+ 100 to the flowchart

Last edited by Turbokick : 17th March 2012 at 10:33.
Old 17th March 2012, 10:26   #6769
Senior - BHPian

Damn!!
Appalled to read all these posts blaming Saching for loss and saying tht he was playing for his personal milestone.
People who are criticising Sachin should go and get themselves something worthwhile to do.Seriously!! Before blaming him, do something with as consistency and achieve something of the scale what Sachin has done.
Please stop ranting!!

And if you can't defend a score of 290 against minnows Bangladesh, then that is not Sachin's fault. Seriously, now don't tell me that Sachin didn't bowl, and that's why we lost.
Well frankly, I am not sure what Rohit Sharma is doing in the team? He's may be talented but he's no hitter in the last overs. When Sachin got out, Dhoni should have sent Irfan Pathan down for the pinch-hitter role.
Dhoni's captaincy also sometimes is getting beyond simple logic to understand.
Also please understand, Cricket is a team game! Sachin alone doesn't make this Indian team.
Old 17th March 2012, 11:01   #6770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Damn!!
Appalled to read all these posts blaming Saching for loss and saying tht he was playing for his personal milestone.
People who are criticising Sachin should go and get themselves something worthwhile to do.Seriously!! Before blaming him, do something with as consistency and achieve something of the scale what Sachin has done.
Please stop ranting!!

And if you can't defend a score of 290 against minnows Bangladesh, then that is not Sachin's fault. Seriously, now don't tell me that Sachin didn't bowl, and that's why we lost.
Well frankly, I am not sure what Rohit Sharma is doing in the team? He's may be talented but he's no hitter in the last overs. When Sachin got out, Dhoni should have sent Irfan Pathan down for the pinch-hitter role.
Also please understand, Cricket is a team game! Sachin alone doesn't make this Indian team.
+100

Its actually shocking to see some distinguished/senior members blaming Sachin for the loss . I guess passion and love for the game can sometimes sideline logic and reasoning.

If we can not defend 290 against Banga then no one can save us.
In fact we reached that total because of Sachin's ton.

I have said it earlier will say it again - I will take 38 year old Sachin over Sehwag, Dhoni, Raina and Jadeja any day. In fact Rohit and Gauti can also be added to that list based on their current form.
Old 17th March 2012, 11:20   #6771
Senior - BHPian

The report on cricinfo has some telling points:
Bangladesh v India, Asia Cup: Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim deliver incredible win | Bangladesh v India, Asia Cup, Mirpur Report | Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Some excerpts:
Quote:
It wasn't one of Tendulkar's better hundreds and will ultimately be remembered only for being the one that brought up the unprecedented landmark. In fact, it was his second-slowest innings of 100-plus in ODIs and ended up restricting India's progress.They ended up on 289 for 5, an underwhelming outcome considering their power-packed batting line-up had had a platform of 173 for 1 in the 36th over.
Quote:
Tendulkar had motored to 80 off 102 deliveries but took another 36 before he took his hundredth run, off Shakib Al Hasan.
Quote:
Tendulkar's departure came immediately after Suresh Raina's brisk innings had ended after having kept India going amid his senior partner's quest for the century.
Quote:
Raina's slog sweeps and lofted shots over extra cover kept the runs coming, though, but Tendulkar was clearly feeling the pressure at the other end. He played out a maiden to Mashrafe Mortaza on 83, and on several occasions took off for non-existent singles before being sent back.
The writing is on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Its actually shocking to see some distinguished/senior members blaming Sachin for the loss
LOL. I fail to see the connection between being a D/S member and having an opinion that is counter to yours.

Last edited by amitoj : 17th March 2012 at 11:22.
Old 17th March 2012, 12:20   #6772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Damn!!
Please stop ranting!!

Its not fair to blame only sachin, but one must agree that he played a mojor role in the team getting a low score. Not to forget virat kohli too. Sachin has made 100 centuries but he has also played the highest number of games. Also how many of his innings were match winning? A player who plays for personal milestones and is in the top 4 of a batting order is bound to pile up so many centuries. People say that a batsman gets nervous at 90s, but I have seen sachin getting nervous in 80s and as low as 70s. If one player continues to take 1 n 2s and play safely in this period he will surely convert many of them. Another player who is following sachin's footsteps in kohli. Have you guys noticed in strike rate before a 100? Its after he scores a ton, that he starts hitting fours n sixes and eventually gets a good strike rate. No wonder if he goes on to break sachin's record in all forms of the game if he plays for himself like this. Already he has piled up 10 tons in ODI's at the age of 23/24 yrs.

Also must blame the selection committee and captaincy. Why on earth would a team play 3 slow medium pacers? And what is the reason behind dinda's inclusion yesterday We have got bowlers like yadav and varun who can bowl fast. why are they not playing? Also in the team like ours, where every other batsman is a part time spinner. Why do we need 2 full time spiners in askwin and jadeja? Where jadeja only scores only once in a blue moon and hardly completes his quota of 10 overs. Underpeformers have to be dropped after any failed tour and give chance to the other players. If players are dropped, then only they will work hard to play better.

Also its high time that india needs to look for other players as captain's position. A cool captain can save you few matches but you need an aggressive captain to win more matches. Must have the killer instinct that dhoni lacks clearly. I mean come on, how can a captain smile after such poor series and loosing to a weak team. It doesn's show his coolness, rather it shows it inability.

these are just my personal views, so "peace"
Old 17th March 2012, 13:33   #6773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

The writing is on the wall.
I don't see any .

The fact is, he contributed 114 to the team's total with a strike rate of 78 which is acceptable. Of course he can do better than that but those numbers are still good.

The real problem is what we expect from him. If Dravid/Gambhir score 114 with strike rate of 77 we call them 'anchor'. When Sachin does it its selfish .
Old 17th March 2012, 13:47   #6774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
Sachin has made 100 centuries but he has also played the highest number of games. Also how many of his innings were match winning?
India has won 53 matches where he has scored a 100. In ODIs alone, India has won 33 of the 49 matches in which Sachin scored 100 or more. Is that good enough?

It's also easy to say that he has played the highest number of games to set this landmark. Why has be been chosen to play so many games? Could it be because he is that good, good enough to play at the highest level for 22+ years? Also, Tendulkar has scored 100 centuries in 763 innings. No one else who has scored atleast 30 international hundreds has that sort of conversion rate.

What's the guarantee that India would've scored more than 289 if Tendulkar had tried to be more aggressive? It's also likely he would've got out earlier (meaning less runs to the team total) and the other batsmen would not have been able to make up (as against SA and England in WC last year).
Old 17th March 2012, 13:48   #6775
BHPian

Quote:
I don't see any .

The real problem is what we expect from him. If Dravid/Gambhir score 114 with strike rate of 77 we call them 'anchor'. When Sachin does it its selfish .
I call them selfish too if they do so in an ODI match, specially if a launch platform is already set. Strike rates may differ according to situation, if yesterday india were something like 25/3 then such a strike rate is justified. But yesterday india was in a far better position.

@starry, buddy read my post carefully.

Its the way sachin plays which is why he scores so many milestones. If a player plays safe then he is sure to get many milestones. Other players who have played similar matches like him are/were not milestone conscious like him. And why he has been chosen to play so many matches? Ask the selection committee about it, players like dinda get a chance to play. Atleast sachin is better than him

Also thanks for the trivia, must be a great sachin fan to find them out.

Last edited by ravi_23 : 17th March 2012 at 13:59.
Old 17th March 2012, 14:20   #6776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its the way sachin plays which is why he scores so many milestones. If a player plays safe then he is sure to get many milestones. Other players who have played similar matches like him are/were not milestone conscious like him.
That's very interesting. I find that Sachin's strike rate (combined) in the matches he scored his 49 ODI hundreds is 99.90. Next highest in terms of centuries is Ricky Ponting who has scored 30 ODI hundreds at a strike rate of 99.94.

That's almost a run-a-ball for his 49 ODI centuries. Why pick one among them and accuse him of being selfish?

Sehwag has scored 15 ODI hundreds at a strike rate of 122+. So often, we accuse him of throwing his wicket away. So should be have slowed down a bit and scored more hundreds?
Old 17th March 2012, 14:27   #6777
BHPian

Quote:
But yesterday india was in a far better position.
So were we in that match agains South Africa in the world cup. Remember what happened after Sachin's departure ?

Quote:
Its the way sachin plays which is why he scores so many milestones. If a player plays safe then he is sure to get many milestones.
Care to share some secrets around how he plays safe. As per my knowledge his strike rate is 86 in ODIs and I dont think we can qualify that as safe.
On the contrary Dravid's ODI strike rate of 71 should be qualified as safest .

We know Sachin can play with strike rate of 100+ but it doesnt mean yesterday's 77 is bad. Its still very good compared to his peers.

The reason for our loss is our bowling and IMO we are ignoring that fact and focusing on a poor chap who is one of the most productive players in the team.
Old 17th March 2012, 14:41   #6778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
That's very interesting. I find that Sachin's strike rate (combined) in the matches he scored his 49 ODI hundreds is 99.90. Next highest in terms of centuries is Ricky Ponting who has scored 30 ODI hundreds at a strike rate of 99.94.

That's almost a run-a-ball for his 49 ODI centuries. Why pick one among them and accuse him of being selfish?

Sehwag has scored 15 ODI hundreds at a strike rate of 122+. So often, we accuse him of throwing his wicket away. So should be have slowed down a bit and scored more hundreds?
Quote:
So were we in that match agains South Africa in the world cup. Remember what happened after Sachin's departure ?

Care to share some secrets around how he plays safe. As per my knowledge his strike rate is 86 in ODIs and I dont think we can qualify that as safe.
On the contrary Dravid's ODI strike rate of 71 should be qualified as safest .

We know Sachin can play with strike rate of 100+ but it doesnt mean yesterday's 77 is bad. Its still very good compared to his peers.

The reason for our loss is our bowling and IMO we are ignoring that fact and focusing on a poor chap who is one of the most productive players in the team.

Do you guys even read I have posted? Or simply start defending sachin? I have not blamed sachin ENTIRELY for the loss. Its a result of many factors, sachin slow run rate being one of them.

And regarding sachin's strike rate, after scoring a ton he makes up for his slow strike rate by hitting a few quick runs. Which improves his overall strike rate, it is very simple. Even that kid, virat kohli follows the same.

Last edited by ravi_23 : 17th March 2012 at 14:44.
Old 17th March 2012, 15:08   #6779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't see any .

The fact is, he contributed 114 to the team's total with a strike rate of 78 which is acceptable. Of course he can do better than that but those numbers are still good.

The real problem is what we expect from him. If Dravid/Gambhir score 114 with strike rate of 77 we call them 'anchor'. When Sachin does it its selfish :
LOL. You are a Sachin fan. So i dont blame you for being blind.

Its easy to quote his overall strike rate which hides the fact how he slows down the pace of the overall run scoring when he reaches mid 80s and puts extra pressure on other batsmen to keep the run rate healthy.

And you are giving way too much credit to Bangladesh bowling by comparing this match with the one against SA.
Old 17th March 2012, 15:28   #6780
Senior - BHPian

This is what its going to be about. A while ago I mentioned that people will forget what Sachin has achieved (not just the personal milestones). It was bound to happen since for a while he has been slow when he approaches 80. People will remember the recent past more.
Its not just him playing slow. Kohli and Gambhir did that same against SL. Maybe the reason is because in our country we do remember personal milestones more than the ones achieved for the team. (except folks like Kumble and Dravid whose personal milestones people wont even mention)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks