Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2012, 15:28   #6781
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
And regarding sachin's strike rate, after scoring a ton he makes up for his slow strike rate by hitting a few quick runs. Which improves his overall strike rate, it is very simple. Even that kid, virat kohli follows the same.
Is it so that only the runs scored before getting to 100 are counted to the team total? Does it only matter what's the strike rate before getting to 100, not how many runs he scored in the entire match at what strike rate?

Who doesn't accelerate after reaching a milestone, be it 50 or 100, especially if it comes towards the end of an innings (as 100s usually do)?

I don't understand this complaint about playing safe. If you go hammer and tongs at every ball, you are likely to score fast and equally likely to get out soon without adding too many runs to the team total. If you play with caution, you may score slower, but add more runs to the team total.

Sachin has 18 innings between 80 and 99 in ODIs with strike rate of 90+ - 11 of them at a strike rate of 100+. If he was so safe and selfish, I wonder why didn't he slow down in those innings too to get to his 100.

Last edited by StarrySky : 17th March 2012 at 15:30.
Old 17th March 2012, 15:39   #6782
Senior - BHPian

Quoting from Cricinfo - Although Tendulkar achieved the milestone of hundred international centuries, this was his second-lowest strike-rate for an ODI century. The only time he has had a lower strike-rate was against Sri Lanka in Sharjah in 2000 (completed innings only). There have been only four occasions when he has faced more deliveries than he did in this innings (147). The previous time he faced 147 deliveries, he scored the first double-century in ODIs.

Start of the 36th over - India were 172/1 - Sachin 87
43.4 overs - India 220/2 - Sachin 100

7.4 overs - 48 runs - Sachin 13 runs
Old 17th March 2012, 15:46   #6783
Senior - BHPian

So, nobody is arguing about Sachin being selfish in yesterday's match? Argument is over his entire career on whether he was selfish.
Old 17th March 2012, 15:59   #6784
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I would like to view things with one more angle.
Remember BD rarely gets big matches. They also need to get their share of booty from the circus of Cricketainment. If India won yesterday, remaining matches would have been irrelevant. So to make them relevant, India had to loose. Maybe that explains the easy-going approach of our bowlers in the last few overs.
To substantiate this theory, I have one more example: Does anyone remember Independence cup played in BD n 1998 when Azhar took over the captaincy from Sachin. In that tournament, best of three finals were to be played. India was in supreme form and were favourites. Sure enough, they won the league matches and 1st final very convincingly and were looking good enough to win the second. (Sachin made 95 off 78 balls). Now the twist, in second final India not only lost but lost very badly that didn't bother to cross 200. One funny thing to note is that the first final was watched by Indian PM and the second one was by Pak PM in the stadium as chief guest. The third final, as we all know was famously one by India after playing in very poor light. There was even a debate on some News channels as to how it was said confidently by organisers, commentators that there would be third final for sure.
So all in all, my point is that those lollypops were being served with a purpose, even though the bowler in question were having economy rate of less than 4 till then. If one can blame Sachin for batting slow after 80, then bowlers should also be blamed for changing gears.
PS: One thing to be noted is that whenever India beats Pak, we hear after some time that match was fixed. Does it mean that India can't beat them on their own and Pakis are so greedy that they sell their national pride each and every time, whether its WC QF or SF. Or it means that they are so poorly paid by the PCB that they look at these matches as once in a lifetime opportunity to make money.
Comments welcome.

Last edited by carwatcher : 17th March 2012 at 16:22.
Old 17th March 2012, 16:26   #6785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
LOL. You are a Sachin fan. So i dont blame you for being blind.

Its easy to quote his overall strike rate which hides the fact how he slows down the pace of the overall run scoring when he reaches mid 80s and puts extra pressure on other batsmen to keep the run rate healthy.
Definitely a Sachin fan but not a blind fan.

Can we present some facts on how many occasions he has slowed down the innings before making such allegations.

We get too judgmental when it comes to Sachin. Other players in the team should also go through same level scrutiny and prove their worth. Then only it will be a level playing field.
I am sure in comparison you will find more innings from Dravid where he slowed down the RR which resulted in a loss of wicket at the other end .
Old 17th March 2012, 16:31   #6786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Definitely a Sachin fan but not a blind fan.

Can we present some facts on how many occasions he has slowed down the innings before making such allegations.

We get too judgmental when it comes to Sachin. Other players in the team should also go through same level scrutiny and prove their worth. Then only it will be a level playing field.
I am sure in comparison you will find more innings from Dravid where he slowed down the RR which resulted in a loss of wicket at the other end .
People seem to have short memories and shorter vision to judge when it comes to Sachin.
If you see the recent matches, it is none other than Mr. MS Dhoni who is consistently lowering the scoring rate and increasing the pressure on other batsmen.
No one is questioning it.
Old 17th March 2012, 16:39   #6787
BHPian

Someone thanked Rahul Gandhi in Twitter, beacuse if his grandmother Indira had not created Bangladesh, Sachin would not have got his 100th ton!

Sachin fans don't get worked up, this is just for humour.

Last edited by Daewood : 17th March 2012 at 16:42.
Old 17th March 2012, 16:55   #6788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hehe i see the bait and i wont take it. Lets keep the true gentleman of cricket, Dravid out of it. He has retired. We'll compare the two when Sachin retires.
Old 17th March 2012, 16:58   #6789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
If you see the recent matches, it is none other than Mr. MS Dhoni who is consistently lowering the scoring rate and increasing the pressure on other batsmen.
No one is questioning it.
Exactly. We tend to discuss every aspect of Sachin's batting while the mediocrity of others in the team is completely ignored.

IMO that innings from Dhoni against SL where we tied the match is a classic example. From a winnable chase he got us into a tie and potentially cost us place in the finals.
Old 17th March 2012, 17:22   #6790
BHPian

Quote:
IMO that innings from Dhoni against SL where we tied the match is a classic example. From a winnable chase he got us into a tie and potentially cost us place in the finals.
There is a big difference between being slow to start because you need to get used to the pitch and the way the ball is moving,
and slowing down once you near a personal milestone. Have you ever seen Dhoni slowing down because he is on 47?
Any player, be it Sachin or Virat or Gambhir or Dhoni, if he's slowing down, after scoring at a higher rate
just for a personal milestone to pass, rather than for strategic reasons, he is not a team player.

Has Sachin ever said the pressure of not winning the World cup or the pathetic performance of
the team in England and Australia in the recent series get onto his nerves?
but the pressure of not getting his 100th ton got onto his nerves so badly as he said in yesterday's interview.
Isn't that enough to read his priorities.

Last edited by Daewood : 17th March 2012 at 17:29.
Old 17th March 2012, 17:32   #6791
Senior - BHPian

Take a look at this guy's bowling stats ! Of course he has been bowling in SA and NZ which are bowler friendly pitches still......

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
Old 17th March 2012, 17:34   #6792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Has Sachin ever said the pressure of not winning the World cup or the pathetic performance of
the team in England and Australia in the recent series get onto his nerves?
but the pressure of not getting his 100th ton got onto his nerves so badly as he said in yesterday's interview.
Isn't that enough to read his priorities.
Please tell me you're joking Otherwise, please show me quotes of any player saying about pressure due to team performing badly (like "I was under stress because we had done badly in the last series"), other than the generic "We were under pressure due to xyz" etc.

You also conveniently forgot something else that Sachin said yesterday:

Quote:
In the mid-innings break, when Ramiz asked Tendulkar what message he wanted to send to youngsters who witnessed him make history, Tendulkar said it was important to never give up on chasing your dreams. "Enjoy the game and chase your dreams," he said. "Dreams do come true. I had to wait for 22 years for India to win the World Cup."
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Take a look at this guy's bowling stats ! Of course he has been bowling in SA and NZ which are bowler friendly pitches still......

Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
He's only in his first season and has done remarkably well. But, it is often said that it's the second season that might decide how well you will do in your career, because by then the other teams will get used to what you're bowling. For eg: Ajantha Mendis - no one could play him when he came into the SL team. Where's he now?

Last edited by StarrySky : 17th March 2012 at 17:39.
Old 17th March 2012, 17:43   #6793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Have you ever seen Dhoni slowing down because he is on 47?
Actually, I have rarely seen him scoring more than 47 outside subcontinent
He has scored few half centuries outside India but I am sure it must have been a fight for survival.

To start with we can't compare apple with oranges. People like Sachin, Dravid, Laxman are in different league all together and can not be compared with the likes of Dhonut, Rainman and Jadeja. A flawed batting technique will fail you sooner or later.
Old 17th March 2012, 17:54   #6794
Senior - BHPian

To all people suggesting Sachin to retire, let us see the performance of SRT now onwards and judge him, as now he will return to his natural game as the monkey is off his back.
Most importantly, we all should compare his performance vis-a-vis other players in the team. I am sure he will return to his old aggressive style. I am sure that if he fails few times like Dravid now, he himself would retire.
Old 17th March 2012, 18:02   #6795
BHPian

Quote:
Actually, I have rarely seen him scoring more than 47 outside subcontinent
He has scored few half centuries outside India but I am sure it must have been a fight for survival.

To start with we can't compare apple with oranges. People like Sachin, Dravid, Laxman are in different league all together and can not be compared with the likes of Dhonut, Rainman and Jadeja. A flawed batting technique will fail you sooner or later.
Out of the 45 fifties he's scored, 30 have been outside India!!!

Yes, an improper technique will fail you certainly in tests, but can't say the same about ODIs or T20s,
otherwise Dhoni wouln't have reached where he is now, and he is no 'one series wonder' like an Ajanta Mendis.
If text book batting is the only way to succeed then Sanjay manjrekar would have been the
greatest Indian batsman of modern times. But he isn't.

Last edited by Daewood : 17th March 2012 at 18:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks