Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2012, 13:35   #6811
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Does someone remember what Dhoni said when Gambhir got out in the WC Final on 90s. He said for Gambhir not getting 100 in such a big match, he himself to be blamed.
Can anyone tell me that as Gambhir tried to score quickly unnecessarily and in the process got out. So was he playing selfishly for his 100 and got out or he was genuinely trying to increase the run rate and got out and in the process gave Sri Lanka a chance to come back and also put pressure on new batsman therefore got out playing irresponsibly. Had he slowed down a bit he would have been labelled selfish and playing for his personal milestone. So according to all the theories he is either selfish and/or irresponsible. In addition, he is a fool not to score a century in WC final.
Sachin is being analysed in exact same manner by critics.
One more thing to be noted that isn't every team try to prevent opposition players from getting 100, 150, 200, etc. by making adjustment in the fielding, changing bowler, delaying tactics, etc. So if the fielding team makes such arrangements then why batsmen can't make adjustment after reaching 85-90.
Similarly, if a bowler in on Hat-Trick (personal milestone again), he brings close-in fielders and quite often the hat-trick is missed and a four or easy singles or two are scored by opposition on that hat-trick ball, I have not seen any question ever raised on such bowler.
I feel as we don't see much of so called patriotism now a days except in movies, thanks to our politicians like Thackerays, etc. the so called theory of national interest looks good only in arguments. Ours is a nation where personal interest takes supreme importance in all the matters and it starts right from our homes.

Last edited by carwatcher : 18th March 2012 at 13:54.
Old 18th March 2012, 14:05   #6812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
Bigger question is, what next milestone is he looking for now? 20k runs, 50 ODI centuries, 100 ODI half centuries and what not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
50 ODI tons
200 Test Matches
500 ODI's
LOL@NC

Going by the deluge of interviews he has been giving since his 100th ton, and playing the broken record of "I dont play for milestones, I play for the country"
I think his next target is Bharat Ratna. Because, I think he himself realizes that that's a more achievable traget.
Old 18th March 2012, 14:58   #6813
Senior - BHPian

Those guys who were blaming Sachin Tendulkar for India's loss in last match, I request them to please switch on there TV and checkout the score. Indian Bowlers are not able to pick up even a single wicket yet.

Now please don't say that it is again because of Sachin Tendulkar as he is not bowling. EDIT : He is bowling! Let's hope for some magic!

If India looses today's match then it will be because of bowlers and not tendulkar.

Last edited by bluevolt : 18th March 2012 at 15:22.
Old 18th March 2012, 15:20   #6814
BHPian

350+ is very much possible.
Club class bowling and very little to expect from them. Not a single wicket taking ball in 25 overs.
World Cup Winners, we are
Old 18th March 2012, 15:22   #6815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Those guys who were blaming Sachin Tendulkar for India's loss in last match, I request them to please switch on there TV and checkout the score. Indian Bowlers are not able to pick up even a single wicket yet.
Did that only to see Tendulkar drop a catch AND hurt himself!! LOL.
Old 18th March 2012, 15:25   #6816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
At least he attempted a catch.

Anyhow I am very disappointing by the way Indian mainstream bowlers have failed to perform.

No energy-enthusiasm at all.
Old 18th March 2012, 15:28   #6817
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Now please don't say that it is again because of Sachin Tendulkar as he is not bowling. EDIT : He is bowling! Let's hope for some magic!

If India looses today's match then it will be because of bowlers and not tendulkar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
If we lose, I am sure, people will tell because Sachin bowled and dropped the catch.

The way we are bowling in today's match, I feel gully cricket bowling has more sting in it
Old 18th March 2012, 15:44   #6818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Really! Ponting was also dropped from the team unceremoniously, do you think that has undermined his achievements? Sachin's legend will only grow with time, mark my words, howsoever he goes. There is nobody in cricket like him, there is no readymade superstar to replace him and T20 has ensured that there never will be. The likes of Kohli, Yuvraj,Raina etc are no patch on the real greats like Sachin, Dravid, Lara etc. Look how incredibly arrogant Kohli is! Do we see him emulating Sachin? I dont think so. And his scoring record is quite shallow in my opinion. Has he faced the likes of Warne, Mcgrath, Wasim, Waqar, Murali, Pollock, Donald, Ambrose, Walsh ??? Who are the real world class bowlers today who can hold candle to these greats ???
For a player who has never been 'dropped' in his career, to be dropped when he is nearing retirement is a serious blemish on his career. That alone is enough to tarnish what all he's built over the years. Anyway, I don't think BCCI has the guts to drop Sachin just like Cricket Australia dropped Ponting. If at all he is to be dropped, he will simply be 'rested'.

How do you expect to replace a superstar? by bringing in another superstar?? Really?? I don't think we are producing superstars on a conveyor belt here. We have to give time for newcomers to become superstars not expect them to become superstars right away.
Old 18th March 2012, 16:26   #6819
Senior - BHPian

The CB series and Asia Cup have proved a few things.

1) As I have been harping earlier - looks like Irfan Pathan hasn't improved as a bowler.

2) Praveen Kumar hasn't improved as a fielder.

3) Dinda - who is backed by Ganguly (really don't know why) - doesn't really look cut out for the international scene.

Srikanth and his team selected Pathan and Dinda on Ranji trophy performances. Well they took Abhimanyu Mithun too to Aussie land and dumped him.

Yusuf Pathan is no fielder.
Old 18th March 2012, 17:30   #6820
Senior - BHPian

Was Umesh Yadav 'rested' or dropped? I think we need Aaron and Yadav badly . All the best to the Indian batting line for a usual big score chase .
Old 18th March 2012, 17:31   #6821
Senior - BHPian

For all who want their share of Cricketainment! Watch NEO cricket as Kareena and Saif are there to share some important views on cricket and how to chase the target.
Old 18th March 2012, 19:38   #6822
BHPian

There is no variation in our pace attack. All we are playing is 3 medium pacers who lack the tooth. IMO india should play 2 fast bowlers in the likes of yadav and varun and a 3rd medium pacer, be is zaheer, praveen, vinay or anyone else. Irfan now looks more like a pinch hitter than a bowler.
Old 18th March 2012, 21:13   #6823
Senior - BHPian

I think we need to overhaul Indian bowling department.

Batsmen are doing their job very well. With this match I will again say that India didn't lost the last match because of Sachin Tendulkar, they lost because of Indian Bowlers!

I can safely say that Virat Kohli is India's next Sachin Tendulkar.

Good Job cricketers (batsmen in particular) I am sure we will win this match.

Last edited by bluevolt : 18th March 2012 at 21:15.
Old 18th March 2012, 21:28   #6824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With this match I will again say that India didn't lost the last match because of Sachin Tendulkar, they lost because of Indian Bowlers!
Pakistan with superior bowing couldn't defend 329, then how will Indian bowlers? Pakistan batsmen failed in this match. They went slow after 40th over. To win Pakistan must have got 350+ (likewise India had to cross 300 in the match against Bangladesh).

Last edited by msdivy : 18th March 2012 at 21:30.
Old 18th March 2012, 21:32   #6825
BHPian

That was a blinder from Mr Kohli. He started from where he left against Srilanka in Australia.
I would like the Kohli and Sachin critics here to speak few words about their respective performances.

Interestingly chasing 300+ totals has become so easy in last 5 years or so. Thanks to the T20 cricket.
Somewhere down the lane, we are getting benefitted from IPL. Scoring 8 an over isnot a give problem anymore.

Most Viewed