Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2012, 01:29   #6946
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Courtney Walsh was once described by Tony Cozier as" He is called a batsman ONLY because he holds a bat in his hand". That was hilarious. He and Murali were in their own zone while batting. Funniest and most entertaining 'batsmen' in world cricket.
Old 16th August 2012, 15:38   #6947
BHPian

Any site that shows content of Kevin Pietersen's text messages to South African players?
Old 16th August 2012, 22:26   #6948
BHPian

Graham Onions, on behalf of Durham today, took 9 wickets and ran out the remaining batsman too... thus starring in one of those unique ocurances of one man being responsible for all 10 wickets.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-c...ch/542534.html

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 16th August 2012 at 22:38.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:29   #6949
Team-BHP Support

India play Pakistan in the Quarter finals of the U-19 World Cup on 20th

And what a fighting match going on at Lords !
Old 16th August 2012, 22:41   #6950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
India play Pakistan in the Quarter finals of the U-19 World Cup on 20th

And what a fighting match going on at Lords !
But we are playing some very very poor cricket out there, doubt if we can put it across the pakis.
Old 16th August 2012, 22:44   #6951
Team-BHP Support

Yep, not too convincing this time round but lets see. Actually it stuck me that this is how the senior team began the 2003 campaign. A big loss and then some not so convincing wins but then there was no looking back !
Old 18th August 2012, 18:43   #6952
Senior - BHPian

VVS Laxman has announced his retirement from international cricket. Too bad we won't get to see him playing for India again. I thought he'd atleast play one test in the NZ series before retiring. Thanks VVS for all the glory you brought to Indian cricket.
Old 18th August 2012, 18:46   #6953
Team-BHP Support

^^ Exactly, I feel cheated :x

Wanted to see him bat one last time. But anyways, good luck to him for his future.
Old 18th August 2012, 18:54   #6954
BHPian

I was hoping for one more classic from him before retirement. I think we will not see such an elegant batsman again in Cricket. He made batting look so beautiful and easy. He was also a proper team guy who played at whichever position that the team wanted him to and was a very good role model. Together with Rahul Dravid, he was my favorite cricketer.

Edit: Seems like he didn't actually want to retire initially and was working hard for the season ahead, but didn't like the comments that he was holding up the careers of youngsters. It's such a shame. A cricketer of his caliber atleast deserves a proper farewell game :( .

http://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/featu...n-to-the-brink

Last edited by Newpunter : 18th August 2012 at 19:05.
Old 18th August 2012, 18:59   #6955
Team-BHP Support

You guys couldn't have said it better. I will never forget that 281 he scored, with Dravid and Harbhajan contributing and ensuring that we win despite being forced to follow-on. In my book, that is without a doubt, the most epic test-match India has ever featured in.

All the Best VVS!

EDIT: if I remember correctly, I don't think anyone got close to his score or had eclipsed it until Sehwag came along and decimated Saqlain Mushtaq.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th August 2012 at 19:01.
Old 18th August 2012, 19:59   #6956
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Laxman lived up to his much deserved 'Very Very Special' branding. A selfless decision to encourage and open up a position in the middle order for a deserving youngster (hopefully since it depends on our wise selectors!). What better way to hang up your boots when you're on top of your game and still in the team rather than suffer being dropped and then take the decision to retire - I guess Rahul Dravid's earlier decision must have rubbed off on him, at least in a small way. But we will miss an opportunity to watch him play at home :(
Old 18th August 2012, 22:53   #6957
Senior - BHPian

Jan 2000 Sydney: India vs Australia third and final test match. Already 2-0 down in the series, India looking to garner some face saving bits is shot out for 150 runs in the first innings. Australia goes on to score over 500 and sets a mountain in front of India to scale. India falters yet again and falls for 261 runs, 167 of those made by a single man by the name of Vangipurapu Venkata Sai Laxman. The next highest score in that match by an Indian was 45 by Sachin in the first Innings. That shows the enormity of the knock.

VVS had announced himself on the world stage.

Most people fondly remember his 281 against Australia in the Eden more. No doubt that was a great innings, probably the greatest by an Indian, but in my views that fighting 167 on a losing cause against Australia in Australia was by no means smaller.
His first century in international cricket, 4 years after his debut against the best team in the world in their own backyard was as if warning the Ausies ,' Mates, next up you in India and you have made me Angry!! Very angry!' As if to prove that, he scores a mountain of a knock in that historic test match at The Eden which puts a brake on the Aussie Juggernaut. The champions had met their match in its backyard!!

VVS went on to score 17 test centuries, 2 of them doubles, but he had a special liking towards Aussies in particular scoring 6 of those 17 tons against them.

Along with Dravid, Ganguly and Tendulkar, Laxman was part of an era of Indian cricket that made batting look gloriously beautiful, at times even ridiculously simple and of course wonderful. Three of the quartet have now hung their boots with the master still hanging on. All are irreplaceable in their own ways, but VVS in particular had gone on to master the art of batting in the fourth innings, a virtue which India would miss sorely after his retirement. Cricket has lost one of it batting greats of the era.

Thanks a ton VVS for entertaining us and treating us to the brilliant mastery of your flowy wrists over the years.
Old 20th August 2012, 09:33   #6958
Team-BHP Support

India 7 / 2 chasing 137 in the QF of the U-19 World Cup.

Looks like a tough chase, now that Unmukt Chand is gone
Old 20th August 2012, 10:24   #6959
BHPian

Rumours floating around suggest VVS was upset by comments by 'experts' saying he is blocking the career of a promising youngster. No names are being used. But anyone here knows the inside story? Who was the 'expert' commentator and who was the 'promising' youngster who could replace VVS?
Old 20th August 2012, 11:39   #6960
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Most people fondly remember his 281 against Australia in the Eden more. No doubt that was a great innings, probably the greatest by an Indian, but in my views that fighting 167 on a losing cause against Australia in Australia was by no means smaller.
That Sydney test was certainly a forgettable one, except for his magical 167. But I have to disagree with you here.

The reason why I rate the Eden Test against Aus so very high is because it was only the 3rd time a team ever won after being forced to follow on, ever! And there were only 3 teams that ever featured in these matches (Australia, England and now India.)

Winning after following on is stuff that dreams and miracles are made of. And only Laxman could have done it for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
India 7 / 2 chasing 137 in the QF of the U-19 World Cup.

Looks like a tough chase, now that Unmukt Chand is gone
117/5 with 15 overs remaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Rumours floating around suggest VVS was upset by comments by 'experts' saying he is blocking the career of a promising youngster. No names are being used. But anyone here knows the inside story? Who was the 'expert' commentator and who was the 'promising' youngster who could replace VVS?
Yes, this is what everyone is speculating. And I have a strong suspicion that it's true.

Most Viewed