Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2014, 12:40   #7756
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I dont agree.
Kohli is playing extremely well in both Odis and tests. Sachin, dravid, Lara, Ponting all did it. So CP can do it too. He deserves a chance but stupid politics in the team and idiotic selections wont give him the chance.
Of course he can. However, other than Kohli, none of the batsmen you've mentioned had techniques 'corrupted' by IPL.

Sachin, dravid, Lara, Ponting are greats. We should be happy if CP turns out even half as good.

And remember, he has brittle knees.

Net net, he is too precious as an overseas #3 batsman to lose to ODI/T20 cricket. We will find players that can play the latter, but I do not see a CP like player on the horizon.

Btw - in the next generation of players, I am keen to see Aparajith, Vijay Zol & Jiwanjyot Singh in action. Saw them play in domestic matches, and was most impressed
Old 1st January 2014, 13:21   #7757
BHPian

New Zealand's Corey Anderson broke Afridi's record of fastest ton in ODIs. He today hit a century in 36 balls, beating Afridi by 1 ball. In the same match, Ryder hit his century in 51 balls (6th fastest ever).

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zeal...ch/661689.html
Old 1st January 2014, 14:04   #7758
Team-BHP Support

^^ And just before the IPL auctions, what timing

Remember Richard Levi ?
Old 1st January 2014, 14:51   #7759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
^^ And just before the IPL auctions, what timing

Remember Richard Levi ?
I too had the same thought, what timing!
Meanwhile, saw the innings - whatever he hit went for a six It was ridiculously easy for him.

On the CP - ODI and T20 player point:
I understand where you are getting at and I agree with it. However, we should atleast 'explore' the idea of him playing ODIs. We need some sane heads and good technique in the middle.

On the younger players - Not impressed with Jiwanjot - does not look like he has decent technique, Zol 'looks' okay, Aparajith - too early to say anything, no impression. I would put the name of Sanju Samson in the fray - he is one guy who looks good.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 1st January 2014 at 14:53.
Old 10th January 2014, 14:45   #7760
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Apparently in the present Ranji season Sehwag's average is lower than Ashish Nehra. How times change!

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/28610360.cms
Old 22nd January 2014, 18:18   #7761
Oxy
BHPian

So we have now surrendered our #1 ranking in ODIs.

Well done Dhoni. Keep selecting the likes of Ishant Sharma and Ashwin.
Old 22nd January 2014, 19:41   #7762
Team-BHP Support

I decided not to watch or follow todays match as soon as I knew that Ishant was playing. Would really really want to know the thought process behind the decision.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd January 2014 at 22:34.
Old 22nd January 2014, 20:54   #7763
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I decided not to watch or follow todays match as soon as I knew that Ishant was playing. Would really really know the thought process behind the decision.
You may as well stop watching Indian cricket. Ishant will never be dropped.

Ishants's test record is the worst in the 100+ years of test cricket for any bowler who has played 50+ tests. If he hasn't been dropped till now, it's highly unlikely he will be dropped till he retires. And I think he has a good 10 years till he decides to retire.

Once Ishant didn't come with the others to the ground, he came a little late. The gatekeeper didn't let the others in because he didn't believe that it was actually the Indian team - he thought may be it's people who are trying to watch the match for free - how could there be an Indian team without Ishant?
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:00   #7764
BHPian

Hahaha. Ishant will play till he's 40. He'll be carried on the shoulders of Dhoni, Srini and the especially the opposition who would cheer him for his immense contribution to the opposition's cause.

On a more serious note I really wonder why if he's literally leaking more than 8 runs per over why can't Dhoni let Umesh play? At his worst Umesh will still bowl better than Ishant.
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:29   #7765
BHPian

Exactly what does Corey Anderson eat for breakfast?

In his short ODI career to date he has hit more sixers than fours! I see an IPL hot cake baking here.
Old 22nd January 2014, 21:32   #7766
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Ishant doesn't even play for CSK, so his selection in the team is baffling to me! The only positive for us today apart from Virat Kohli is that Ishant Sharma came into bat at the position which he deserves which is no.11!

Dhoni isn't very flexible with his team selection. His tactic of chasing may work in sub-continent but it certainly isn't working here. He should look to bat first & now that we are 2-0 down he has no choice but to make changes in the team. Binny & another pacer has to come into the team.

Ashwin has picked up 1 wicket in the past 2 months. Dhawan's honeymoon period is over. Rohit Sharma has gone back to being the old Rohit Sharma.

Last but not the least, let us give credit to the NZ team! They have played well.
Old 23rd January 2014, 16:04   #7767
BHPian

Some superb aggressive captaincy by Baz... Must give credit to him..

Also someone teach Jadeja how to bat.
Ashwin is like Mendis, hes a defensive bowler, was successful till now because of his carrom ball, now its not a suspense and hence he's not getting the wickets. Doesn't have the genuine flight and turn an offie should have. Dhawan hasn't scored big in test since his debut, In ODIs ditto with the CT.

Rohit I have no words.
Old 23rd January 2014, 17:56   #7768
BHPian

Oh come on! We need Ishant to play, otherwise how will Kohli have a chance to hit centuries in chases.
On a serious note, Dhoni need to look seriously at the current team composition. May be try Rahane at opening slot replacing one of the current openers and Rayudu in the middle order in Rahane's place. Ishwar Pandey and Stuart Binny should replace Ishant and Sir Jadeja.
Old 23rd January 2014, 20:12   #7769
BHPian

On a positive note, I am happy that my state Karnataka is in the finals of Ranji trophy. Have heard a lot on the heartbreak last time when they lost by 5 runs. Hoping to catch the telecast on some website <<fingers crossed>>
Old 23rd January 2014, 21:21   #7770
BHPian

Maharashtra vs Karnatak final @ RT2014 will be interesting.

Jadhav and Khadiwale are the top scoring batsmen in this year's Ranji, and no less than 5 Maharashtra batsmen are averaging more than 50 this season. Rahul, Kunal Nair and Manish Pandey are doing well in Karnatak's batting lineup.

Karnatak's Mithun and Sharath aren't doing badly with the ball as is Samad Fallah, Mundhe and Darekar for Maharashtra.

Maharashtra is in top form,beating Mumbai by 8 wkts, crushing Bengal by 10 in the semi's. In fact all wins by Maharashtra in this season have been with huge margins, whereas Karnatak have steadily peaked to top form heading into the finals.

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 23rd January 2014 at 21:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks