Old 4th April 2014, 22:40   #7921
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Totally!
We should play the same team in finals which is ours for sure
Old 4th April 2014, 23:14   #7922
BHPian

Sometimes I feel he plays with some cheat code ON .

BTW India - Sri Lanka final makes me nervous.
Old 4th April 2014, 23:28   #7923
PPS
Senior - BHPian

So yet another India-Sri Lanka match on Sunday. This must be the 206th time in the last 6 months that both teams would be playing each other!

This pitch certainly was a lot flatter than some of the other games where spinners were very effective.
Btw, I vaguely remember Sri Lanka beating us recently? Was it in this tournament itself? May be the warm-up game?
Old 5th April 2014, 02:07   #7924
Senior - BHPian

Ya. They did beat us in practice match but was by just 5 runs I guess. And that time we were just back from a disastrous NZ tour.

But now they can't stop us. Cup will be ours.
Old 6th April 2014, 22:59   #7925
Distinguished - BHPian

Surprised that no one commented on the thread till now. Quite a disappointing match in the end. I would blame only one person and that would be Yuvraj Singh. He single handedly managed to take away the tempo of the game and literally kept Kohli away from strike just when he had started scoring freely. Consuming 21 balls ( 3.3 overs) in the second half of a T20 game and not even be able to connect bat and ball speaks volumes about a player's form. Yuvi might have been a great player but currently he has no business of staying in the team. Let him prove himself in the domestic cricket and then come back. India could have easily scored 160+ when Kohli had started hitting after his 50.
Old 6th April 2014, 23:04   #7926
BHPian

I think people are too dejected to comment on this thread. Imagine losing in the final after dominating the entire tournament. I was pulling out my hairs in frustration when Yuvraj was batting. He needs a good rest and heavy dose of domestic cricket. Disappointing end to the weekend.
Old 6th April 2014, 23:23   #7927
Senior - BHPian

^^^ true! Watching him bat and struggle to connect was very disappointing, it gave SL the upper hand and they capitalized on it. He was in sensational form 3 years ago in 2011 when he was man of the tournament,but unfortunately this wasn't his. He choked that momentum we'd been building after that 16th over.

Dhoni should have sent raina ahead of yuvraj,just like how he promoted himself. In the end with some excellent bowling it was easy to tip over two great finishers under tremendous pressure.

But in the end,the better team won!

Last edited by shashank.nk : 6th April 2014 at 23:25.
Old 6th April 2014, 23:54   #7928
PPS
Senior - BHPian

All those deliveries which Yuvraj couldn't score of turned out to be the turning point of the match!
Although he played well against the Aussies, its very much clear that his best is behind him, he won't ever be the same player again which he was once upon a time. When you bat deep till no.7, you simply cannot be conservative & play at 5 runs per over in the first 8 overs. Somebody at the top has to be aggressive & play shots! Raina was wasted in most of the games.
Credit to Sri Lanka & their bowlers who bowled well in the death overs. Amit Mishra couldn't bowl well when under pressure.
The only consolation for us in the tournament is that we beat Pakistan!
Old 7th April 2014, 14:48   #7929
Senior - BHPian

It was not only Yuvraj and Dhoni's batting that let down the team, even the bowlers were taken to the cleaners by almost everyone. The so called spin wizard Amit Mishra was hit almost to very corners of the stadium. The worst was even he wouldnt learn and bowled the same way.

India deserved to win this tournament by all ways but the team let themselves down. A heroic effort of Virat gone down the drain, feel bad for him.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Yuvraj and Dhoni suddently striking form in IPL.
Old 7th April 2014, 15:16   #7930
Senior - BHPian

I dont understand why we only bashing Yuvraj here. In first 10 overs we scored 60 odd runs , why not blame Rahane for 3(8) , Dhoni knew Malinga would bowl wide of off stump still stayed in the crease and Mishra bowled quite poorly after his 2nd over inspite of Dhoni asking him to slow down his pace. Yes last 4 overs of our batting was a turning point , but even Sangakkara was dropped by Mohit (tough chance). Our bowlers also were not bowling wicket taking deliveries. Overall i would blame the team rather than Yuvraj alone !!
Old 7th April 2014, 15:18   #7931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
It was not only Yuvraj and Dhoni's batting that let down the team, even the bowlers were taken to the cleaners by almost everyone. The so called spin wizard Amit Mishra was hit almost to very corners of the stadium. The worst was even he wouldnt learn and bowled the same way.

India deserved to win this tournament by all ways but the team let themselves down. A heroic effort of Virat gone down the drain, feel bad for him.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Yuvraj and Dhoni suddently striking form in IPL.
The bowlers had very little pressure to exert given the low score. Amit Mishra was hit when it was certain it was not all the difficult for SL.

Yuvraj was pathetic in domestic cricket. He looked like a scared Deer not knowing what to do on highway. Mr Mallya should be wondering about the money he spent on Yuvraj.
Old 7th April 2014, 17:21   #7932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
I dont understand why we only bashing Yuvraj here. In first 10 overs we scored 60 odd runs , why not blame Rahane for 3(8) , Dhoni knew Malinga would bowl wide of off stump still stayed in the crease and Mishra bowled quite poorly after his 2nd over inspite of Dhoni asking him to slow down his pace. Yes last 4 overs of our batting was a turning point , but even Sangakkara was dropped by Mohit (tough chance). Our bowlers also were not bowling wicket taking deliveries. Overall i would blame the team rather than Yuvraj alone !!
Why not? Kohli and Rohit were building the platform so power hitters like Yuvi, Raina d and Dhoni could come and do slam bam. We were 64 in 10 overs. Could have easily made 100 in last ten and Virat was striking good.

In comes yuvraj and he downshifts all momentum with his selfish innings. It all showed on faces of Dhoni and Raina who looked clearly frustrated by the way he was batting. We needed 160 to make a match out of this. Bowlers can't defend 130 so no point blaming them.
Old 7th April 2014, 17:34   #7933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Why not? Kohli and Rohit were building the platform so power hitters like Yuvi, Raina d and Dhoni could come and do slam bam. We were 64 in 10 overs. Could have easily made 100 in last ten and Virat was striking good.

In comes yuvraj and he downshifts all momentum with his selfish innings. It all showed on faces of Dhoni and Raina who looked clearly frustrated by the way he was batting. We needed 160 to make a match out of this. Bowlers can't defend 130 so no point blaming them.
Let me remind you we scored 120 odd in Champions trophy final in 20 overs last year and still defended it. Any team chasing in finals will face the pressure. Had we got the same start from openers like we got against SA in Semis im sure it would have eased the pressure and may be Raina would have been promoted. My point is there were multiple reasons to lose last night so lets not target only Yuvi here.
Old 7th April 2014, 18:25   #7934
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Let me remind you we scored 120 odd in Champions trophy final in 20 overs last year and still defended it.
Totally different conditions. Lots of purchase on that English pitch for our seamers & spinners.
In this tournament our bowlers were more effective on the slower Mirpur pitch. Just look at the performances of the bowlers in the last 2 games which were flat tracks!

Quote:
My point is there were multiple reasons to lose last night so lets not target only Yuvi here.
Among the many multiple reasons, primary reason for the loss was Yuvraj's innings. Pelting stones at someone's house is shameful but we have every right to criticize him. You have to take the good with the bad.
Old 7th April 2014, 18:28   #7935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Let me remind you we scored 120 odd in Champions trophy final in 20 overs last year and still defended it. Any team chasing in finals will face the pressure. Had we got the same start from openers like we got against SA in Semis im sure it would have eased the pressure and may be Raina would have been promoted. My point is there were multiple reasons to lose last night so lets not target only Yuvi here.
So once we scored 120 and somehow defended did that become a benchmark for finals? How many times does that happen?

Of course Yuvraj isn't the lone culprit in our defeat. But, he is the primary reason we couldn't post a defendable total and match was virtually gone then and there. In fact I blame Dhoni more for sending yuvraj ahead of Raina Inspite of knowing how much out of form he is. Wouldn't have mind yuvi getting out on a first ball duck but what he did was only and only play for himself rather than thinking what's good for the team.

And why shouldn't he get all the criticism. If he took all the money and glory when he won us previous world cup then he should take responsibility and criticism for being primary reason for failure in finals.
However, morons who are stone pelting his place should be booked under law. In the end it's only a game and criticism should only be written or verbal.

Most Viewed