Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 16:51   #8161
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Even after I try to divert my mind, somehow this message doesn't let go out of my mind for the past two days.
Everything was so very synchronized to Hughes ill fate. Wrong place, wrong time. R.I.P.

Lets stop debating on helmet, he does wore one which although doesn't helped and the ball managed to hit at the wrong place and ate up his life. Just read what Former England captain Nasser Hussain said: "Putting bits on the neck is an area we've never thought about. The instinct to get out of the way of a bouncer is to turn away - this will send shock waves through every cricketer."

I couldn't imagine being on Sean Abbott's place now, he will be the most affected person next to Hughes on this incident. He will be terribly shocked inside for sure.

Last edited by DRIVE_ADDICT : 28th November 2014 at 16:53.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:59   #8162
BHPian

All respects to the departed soul and all, but the aussies need to chin up and get a move on. Frankly the whole mourning and wailing seems little stretched and they might be accused of looking like sissies.

No offence meant to the departed soul, again.

Last edited by WindRide : 2nd December 2014 at 11:01.
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:22   #8163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
All respects to the departed soul and all, but the aussies need to chin up and get a move on. Frankly the whole mourning and wailing seems little stretched and they might be accused of looking like sissies.
Yes, the best way to regain focus is to play cricket again. Postponing the match for a day or 2, for funeral, is fine. But cancelling? Thats a bit taking too far. For how many more days do they want to give up cricket? Or need time to remove fear? Hope the pup has not chickened out or may be he is using this time to get fit for the match.

Last edited by msdivy : 2nd December 2014 at 11:38.
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:38   #8164
BHPian

Latest news is that aussie board is ok if players dont 'feel' like playing the first test. Beginning to look like a stale 80's bollywood tear-jerker.
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:42   #8165
Senior - BHPian

Is the Aussie tour of India cancelled? Even the current status shows that the tour starts from the Adelaide test and shrinked to a 33 day window.
Old 2nd December 2014, 11:54   #8166
Team-BHP Support

Assuming you are talking of the India tour of Australia - Nope, not cancelled. Only rejigged.

From cricinfo,

Quote:
1st Test: Australia v India at Adelaide
Dec 9-13, 2014

2nd Test: Australia v India at Brisbane
Dec 17-21, 2014

3rd Test: Australia v India at Melbourne
Dec 26-30, 2014

4th Test: Australia v India at Sydney
Jan 6-10, 2015
Old 2nd December 2014, 14:19   #8167
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Assuming you are talking of the India tour of Australia - Nope, not cancelled. Only rejigged.
We have a good chance of winning the Test Series, just like how we did in England!
All the venues are known for their flat pitches except probably Brisbane which is known for its bounce. There also won't be much lateral movement in the air or off the pitch like in England, so thats another positive.
Our fielding will be tested on the big Australian grounds, need strong throwing arms from the deep.
Old 3rd December 2014, 09:53   #8168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Latest news is that aussie board is ok if players dont 'feel' like playing the first test. Beginning to look like a stale 80's bollywood tear-jerker.
Had the Gabba test gone ahead as scheduled, how could any sane person expect the Aussies to play on the very next day as Phil Hughes body is laid to rest? Not only was it practically impossible, it would be extremely hard on them emotionally as well. Some of the NSW players who were Hughes former team mates watched him die on the field, in their arms literally.

Had been a young talented Indian player in place of Phil Hughes, would you have the same thoughts then as well?

The way Aussies play cricket is far more different then the politics oriented/quota cricket that our team plays. The Aussies play as a team, play for each other and are happy for each other. That is why Hughes's loss hurts them so much. Just watch Clarke's little dedication to his little brother, Phil Hughes ,may be you will understand rather than calling all this some bollywood drama!!!!

Old 3rd December 2014, 11:18   #8169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
...,may be you will understand rather than calling all this some bollywood drama!!!!
You obviously didnt get what i said. I agree that the first test needed rescheduling. But I dont agree with the aussie board saying players can drop out of the now-rescheduled first test if they dont 'feel' like playing. Game is bigger than individuals.

I dont have first hand information on aussie psychology and how they 'play their cricket', so will not comment on your other statements.

Its one thing mourning in private, completely another to make a hue and cry and show of it.

You are entitled to your opinion, so am I. Lets respect that.
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:39   #8170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its one thing mourning in private, completely another to make a hue and cry and show of it.
Also the old adage, 'the show must go on', seem to have lost in twitter age. This incident shows how significant it was for Tendulkar's return to play, after his father's death, midway during 1999 world cup
Old 3rd December 2014, 12:16   #8171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The point is Hughes died on the field and it makes it even more tragic for the players and the game itself. He played cricket at the international level, did reasonably well and was known throughout the cricketing world. Agree that players are not bigger than the game, but I don't see anything wrong in their way of grieving the loss of their young team mate and paying tearful tributes to him.

Remember its just a game and they are players, not battle hardened soldiers who continue to fight even after losing their close friends to enemy bullets. There is a need to respect their feelings. To expect that they will take field and not think about Hughes is unfair on them. So Sutherland is right.

That said, I hope this sad loss lifts them up to another level and perform well against India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Also the old adage, 'the show must go on', seem to have lost in twitter age.cup
And it will, as summed up by Clarke in his funeral tribute to Hughes today.
Quote:
I stood there at the wicket, I knelt down and touched the grass, I swear he was with me. Picking me up off my feet to check if I was okay.

Telling me we just needed to dig in and get through to tea. Telling me off for that loose shot I played. Chatting about what movie we might watch that night. And then passing on a useless fact about cows.
Quote:
Phillip’s spirit, which is now part of our game forever, will act as a custodian of the sport we all love

We must listen to it. We must cherish it. We must learn from it. We must dig in and get through to tea. And we must play on.
So rest in peace my little brother. I’ll see you out in the middle.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/...-1227143512803
Old 4th December 2014, 16:44   #8172
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian 2015 WC probables list is out.

Its a very young side and less experience of conditions down under.
But the current series will give them good exposure IMO.

Many people are talking about it being a CSK team and not an Indian team.
However, I feel it unfair to say so and its a good list of in-form players
I made a list of the 30 members and their IPL team and Surprise. more players are from SRH. Yes Sunrisers Hyderabad...with 6 players. CSK is 2nd with 5 players. Agreed that at least 4 players from CSK will always be in the playing 11 but they select themselves and it doesn't feel like a biased selection to me.

The Cricket Thread-30.jpg
Old 4th December 2014, 16:52   #8173
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Indian 2015 WC probables list is out.
As expected Sehwag, Yuvraj, Harbhajan, Zaheer Khan and Gautam Gambhir haven't made the cut.
Expect Sehwag & Zaheer to announce their retirement sometime next year! Gambhir has a chance to make a comeback but not if he continues playing the way he has been. Harbhajan & Yuvraj will be happy playing the IPL for a while.
Old 4th December 2014, 17:07   #8174
BHPian

I think the time has run out for all those missing seniors. It is sad that they did not make it, but I'm happy that at least now there is some importance given to the players current form and not just going by seniority and years of experience!
Old 5th December 2014, 12:20   #8175
Oxy
BHPian

The 30 man squad does look good. I agree we need to move on from the seniors. They are well past their prime now and are fairly dropped.

However, a couple of tricks missed:

1. All pace bowlers are right handed, so no variety.
2. No pace bowling allrounder. Someone like Rishi Dhawan or Irfan Pathan would have been a huge asset in Australia.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks