Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2015, 12:31   #8521
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Cricket Thread

The other point to consider is that India do not play test cricket for about six months after this. So Talent's one day form may well decide his test selection once again.
Old 5th December 2015, 21:12   #8522
BHPian

We have spoken about the love of Rohit by the Mumbai lobby in the past, and here we have Sanjay Manjrekar making an opinion that 'It was unfair for Rohit to have been made to bat at no.3'.
Not surprising at all. However, I'd say, this time, if Kohli and Shastri asked Rohit to bat at 3 at the 11th hour, he is somewhat unlucky really. All the previous innings he must have thought about coming in at 6 and scoring quick runs, but he was sent in one down at the start of the day, against a fit and firing Morkel. And then Morkel cleverly set him up, first placing a short leg and editing the field such that one would guess he was planning to bowl a bouncer. And then he bowled an absolute beauty, full, seaming, coming into the right hander and cleaned him up. Seeing Rohit's reaction, it was clear that he was not mentally prepared to come in at that point, and he had been expecting a shorter delivery. However, that can't be an excuse too often.
Old 5th December 2015, 21:18   #8523
Senior - BHPian

The quality of Test Cricket has come down by miles. I seriously miss those days when Rahul Dravid used to leave the balls outside off-stump all the day. Those were the golden days of Cricket.
Old 5th December 2015, 22:27   #8524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
The quality of Test Cricket has come down by miles.
Series like the Ashes are still played so competitively.

Oh, didn't you see Rahane, Kohli and Vijay in RSA, Australia? They were so disciplined in leaving the ball.

I would just say that the quality of test cricket in India has come down. We just want to prepare spinning wickets and win test matches at home in three days.
What we do:
  • Play tests at home for 18 months on these spinning wickets and win. Top the ICC rankings and claim that we're the best.
  • Then go abroad and get whitewashed.

I would say that this Delhi wicket is a fair wicket. We need to have wickets in which Day 1 and 2 have heavy scoring, Day 3 with some signs of wear and tear and Day 4&5 being a minefield for the spinners.

Unfortunately the South African batsmen seem to be mentally fatigued after a long tour that they are no more even attempting to play better.
Old 6th December 2015, 20:31   #8525
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Two SA batsman with a very decent strike rate in Test cricket are battling it out there playing very uncharacteristically
Amla 23 off 207 balls and ABD 11 off 91 balls!
Will make for an interesting 5th day to see if they can save this test
Old 6th December 2015, 22:30   #8526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Two SA batsman with a very decent strike rate in Test cricket are battling it out there playing very uncharacteristically
Amla 23 off 207 balls and ABD 11 off 91 balls!
Will make for an interesting 5th day to see if they can save this test
They don't have any options left. Would be a miracle if they are able to save the test now, draw from this situation would be a win for S. Africa and loss for India
Old 7th December 2015, 00:06   #8527
BHPian

I, for one, am more interested to see how DeVilliers goes tomorrow. That guy can literally do anything and everything in cricket, beating the biggest names in their best skill. And if this resurgence from South Africa keeps going on the same way (which it almost certainly will) he will have another incredibly patient and defensive innings, and another feather in his glorious cap. If he does something like a 20 odd off 170-180 balls, it'll be amazing to say the least.
One thing, would a Virat Kohli, for instance, for all his aggressive attitude everywhere else, have been able to play this kind of an innings, that too on foreign soil?

Last edited by mukul32 : 7th December 2015 at 00:09.
Old 7th December 2015, 00:09   #8528
Team-BHP Support

I hope SA salvages a draw and India learns a lesson - winning is more important than personal milestones !
Old 7th December 2015, 05:43   #8529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
We have spoken about the love of Rohit by the Mumbai lobby in the past, and here we have Sanjay Manjrekar making an opinion that 'It was unfair for Rohit to have been made to bat at no.3'.
Not surprising at all. However, I'd say, this time, if Kohli and Shastri asked Rohit to bat at 3 at the 11th hour, he is somewhat unlucky really.
How much ever you say, Rohit has had fair number of chances to play.
He has failed one too many and not just for good balls but for his lack of concentration. Playing competative cricket is huge achievement for anyone and he has done that, applause to him; but he cant be relied on. BCCI has to move on, like great SRT giving up on captainship. One needs both luck and talent for success and for Rohit nothing seems to help.
Old 7th December 2015, 09:18   #8530
Senior - BHPian

Amla, Faf are masters at playing out long sessions. ABD can play any type of cricket . If India get these wickets, its game over. All India need is just one good session.

On Rohit Sharma, I heard people saying he got an unplayable delivery. Well the ball from Morkel was angled in, probably going towards middle & leg. Rohit Sharma edged it to off stump. He played the wrong line, simple. He then then ducked to indicate the ball kept low, in fact it didn't. Kohli & Rahane would have faced many such, exactly same, deliveries in the same innings, played on merit and got on the business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Actually, it was unfair for Pujara, who was shifted down to make way for Rohit Sharma and take his place at No 3. This shows the influence RS has on team management.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I hope SA salvages a draw and India learns a lesson - winning is more important than personal milestones !
Kohli gave himself a little over 5 sessions to bowl out SA. That's quite decent time to get a side out and more so considering SA's performance in this series, match. I feel India did a good thing to let Rahane reach century before declaring. Note that apart from Rahane, only 4 other Indian batsman have achieved this feat in history. So its quite rare.

Last edited by msdivy : 7th December 2015 at 09:30.
Old 7th December 2015, 10:21   #8531
BHPian

Isn't spin bowling / pitches makes the game more boring? Without aggressiveness any sport could become boring. Wish India has more fast bowlers who can be the considered as match changes instead of depending on spinners all the time.
Old 7th December 2015, 14:47   #8532
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

With Villas and ABD gone, India is just 3 wickets away from a 3-0 series victory. Probably only bad light can save SA now
Old 7th December 2015, 14:52   #8533
Senior - BHPian

Whatever the result of this game, got to give it to the SA batsmen.

Between Amla & ABD alone, they played a grueling 90+ overs for a mere 68 runs.
Old 7th December 2015, 14:58   #8534
Distinguished - BHPian

Happy to see India win a good test but feel sorry for SA. Amazing grint, grind and will to survive
Old 7th December 2015, 15:22   #8535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Happy to see India win a good test but feel sorry for SA. Amazing grint, grind and will to survive
I simply could not believe modern day batsmen can play like this. Great effort by South Africa. Everyone knew that once we get ABD, it would be a different ball game though. Same happened.

Mumbai lobby on Rohit - I was amazed to hear Sunil Gavaskar actually bringing the conversation back to Rohit even when SA were batting. He kept telling that he got an unplayable delivery .. blah blah blah...

I am amazed at how can such biased views be (1) with some as high profile as Sunny , and (2) he still is taken so seriously.

I am very disappointed with Pujara though. 3 straight same dismissals? Something is definitely wrong. He get out at strange times. There is almost a set formula to him,keep bowling straight and he would eventually miss one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks