Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2016, 12:10   #8821
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

My predictions for the playing 11: Vijay Dhawan Pujara Kohli Rahane Saha Ashwin Mishra Sharma Shami Yadav.

Anything less than a 3-0 sweep (in favour of India, weather permitting) is a shame.
Old 21st July 2016, 12:26   #8822
Team-BHP Support

Shikhar Dhawan
Vijay
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Saha
Jadeja
Ashwin
Ishant
Shami
Yadav / Mishra

@landcruiser - with dead pitches, rain and our bowling, it would actually be a surprise if we pull off a 3-0

Last edited by Eddy : 21st July 2016 at 12:27.
Old 21st July 2016, 12:49   #8823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

@landcruiser - our bowling, it would actually be a surprise if we pull off a 3-0
Weather permitting, I don't think pulling off a 3-0 series victory is tough. Winning against Bangladesh can be a tougher challenge for India. But both teams are not going to win tests against India anytime soon.

The batsmen with a reputation are: Darren Bravo, Marlon Samuels.

This batting lineup reminds me of the previous Sri Lankan batting lineup. Only Dilshan, Sangakkara, Jayawardene and Samaraweera scored the runs. If they failed, the whole team collapsed. Mathews provided much needed stability in the middle order a few years later.
Old 21st July 2016, 19:10   #8824
Senior - BHPian

India win toss and will bat. Line up: 1 Vijay, 2 Dhawan, 3 Pujara, 4 Kohli, 5 Rahane, 6 Saha (wk), 7 R Ashwin, 8 Mishra, 9 Umesh, 10 Ishant, 11 Shami.

Can't believe they picked Dhawan over Rahul.
Old 21st July 2016, 19:43   #8825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
India win toss and will bat. Line up: 1 Vijay, 2 Dhawan, 3 Pujara, 4 Kohli, 5 Rahane, 6 Saha (wk), 7 R Ashwin, 8 Mishra, 9 Umesh, 10 Ishant, 11 Shami.

I was expecting it. This team has the habit of picking players on the basis of favoritism rather than form. And I am sure Dhawan will make some runs and consider himself as a great batsman when in reality he is extremely average.
Old 22nd July 2016, 00:26   #8826
Senior - BHPian

Dhawan did struggle in the 1st session, but played well in the second. The lacklusture WI bowling and the dead pitch will be to his liking.

My favourite batsman will come out to play now.
Old 22nd July 2016, 00:35   #8827
BHPian

Guys honestly, if we win 2-0, I would be happy. The pitches in WI become so abysmal by the end that literally anyone who uses their head won't get out.
Old 22nd July 2016, 00:59   #8828
Senior - BHPian

Weather permitting, I think winning 3-0 is a minimum. If our bowlers can't pick 20 WI wickets, we should be ranked below Bangladesh.
Old 22nd July 2016, 16:24   #8829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I was expecting it. This team has the habit of picking players on the basis of favoritism rather than form. And I am sure Dhawan will make some runs and consider himself as a great batsman when in reality he is extremely average.
Not sure how Dhawan is still there in test squad. Only thing going for him is the dead pitch. They will eventually drop Pujara for Rahul.
Old 25th July 2016, 17:00   #8830
Team-BHP Support

Good win for us.

Ishant can really be frustrating sometimes. I did not see him bowl in this match. Was he good without getting wickets or his usual self ?
Old 25th July 2016, 18:21   #8831
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Was he good without getting wickets or his usual self ?
Due to the timezone differences, I mostly watched Kohli's batting during India's first innings.
It was Shami & Yadav's bowling that brought the Windies down in their first innings and an Ashwin bowling show all the way in the second innings - but Ishant did manage a wicket though (that of Kraigg Brathwaite) in the second innings!

Last edited by NPV : 25th July 2016 at 18:23.
Old 26th July 2016, 09:47   #8832
Distinguished - BHPian

I do not understand the teams which do not enforce follow on even when they have a chance to.
The recent two matches ENG Vs PAK and NZ Vs ZIM being the latest examples.

The main contention in not enforcing a follow-on is that the bowlers can take some rest.
This argument of rest to the bowlers IMO holds good when they have bowled very long spells. But in modern day tests, that's rare
In both cases, opposition were bowled out very soon. Pakistan were bowled out in 60 overs and Zimbabwe were bowled out in 50 overs

And when bowlers are bowling well and taking wickets, they feel less tired don't they?
Isn't it better to enforce follow on, finish off the opposition who will be already feeling inferior of following on and finish the test match a day earlier and take rest than prolonging it?
In both cases if we see, the losing teams two scores put together is less than the winning team's first innings score.

Also even if they surpass the score, it won't be by a huge margin and they can bat it out and win.
Its only once in many years that a Dravid-Laxman like partnership can happen.
So isn't it a chance worth to take?

OR

Is this entire thing depends on the nature of the captain (and the coach)?
Kohli is naturally aggressive and he wants everyone to play hard and to push hard. He enforced a follow on.
Cook and Williamson are not as aggressive as Kohli and they chose not to enforce follow on
Old 26th July 2016, 10:10   #8833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I do not understand the teams which do not enforce follow on.....The main contention in not enforcing a follow-on is that the bowlers can take some rest.
The "bowlers can take rest.." is BS in most cases. If you're in a position to enforce a follow-on, it means that you've bowled out the opposition quickly. I consider long spells as 3 (in hot Asian conditions) or 4 sessions.

If your team bowls 4 sessions, you might have scores of 6xx in the 1st innings and around 380 +/-10 runs in the second innings. In this particular case, it might be better to maximize the lead.

Quote:
Is this entire thing depends on the nature of the captain (and the coach)?
I don't know about Williamson, but Cook's captaincy has always been criticized.
Old 26th July 2016, 10:10   #8834
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I do not understand the teams which do not enforce follow on even when they have a chance to.
It's a tactical/strategical decision and there could be many reasons. Steve Waugh, Andrew Strauss, Michael Clarke, Ricky Ponting were some of the captains who would usually not enforce a follow-on and they had their reasons Sometimes though, it can be a defensive decision as well to avoid losing a game, though that's quite rare.
You can read some more here

*Also, remember the 2001 Kolkata Test when Australia enforced the follow on and India went on to win the test after heroic innings from VVS Laxman and Rahul Dravid ? No captain wants to end up losing a game like that!

Last edited by NPV : 26th July 2016 at 10:15.
Old 26th July 2016, 10:22   #8835
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Steve Waugh, Andrew Strauss, Michael Clarke, Ricky Ponting were some of the captains who would usually not enforce a follow-on and they had their reasons

Steve Waugh enforced the follow-on each and every time his team had a chance to.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks